Sonic Hack: UnFair Sonic One (Public Release 4 Update)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Joshwoakes, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

Back again with yet another hack, this time it's a update release of one of my major sonic hack projects "UnFair Sonic One"

Now normally with most of my hacks when releasing them I tend to do an introduction for the hack I'm releasing but since this a 4th public release or in other words update release of this hack, I'm going to skip the introduction to it and go straight to the updates and changes.

The update changes for this hack include:
    • The HUD will be now displayed on the screen unlike in previous releases of the hack
    • Since the timer is now being displayed it now counts backward instead of counting forward and continently flashes red to keep player alert of the time limit
    • The time limit now changes depending on the zone your in
    • The life count is now a death counter. (yes, your still allowed to use save states if you have trouble getting past specific death traps)
    • The timer will now beep every minute that goes past and the music will speed up when you have only 60 seconds left to beat the level your on
    • Made a few changes to how the special stages work. (mainly to do with the controls)
    • Bug Fix: fixed a bug from the shc2015 build that would cause the game to freak out, break and lock up when the player tried to activate a not properly functioning feature by pausing the game and then pressing "A"
    • Added an experimental extended camera feature. Which can be enabled by pausing the game and pressing "B", when you enable the extended camera it will be set to the manual setting, to change this setting pause the game again and press "B" again and do the same thing again to disable the extended camera. when the extended camera is on the manual setting you can switch the direction left and right by pressing "A" and when the extended camera is on automatic you can hold down "A" to lock the camera direction.
    • Removed the ultra hard mode due it causing the game to glitch out or crash plus making the levels unbeatable
    • Added an alternate music feature that can be activated and deactivated by pressing "A" on the title screen (please note: that this feature is only half finished so please do not report music bugs related to this feature)
    • fixed the sound test on the selection screen as the in previous release, in order to play a sound in the sound test you needed to press 2 buttons at the exact same time which half of time didn't work, now you have to press only 1 button.
    • Fixed game crash\error bugs that would occur if you played the hack in the regen emulator
    • The level music will no longer restart every time you die apart from when you die from getting time over or by drowning
    • The title card is now only displayed once per level because of this the levels should be or suppose to be now be reloading quicker after sonic dies
    • And finally, made changes to the level layouts

Future plans for this hack:
    • Sonic 2/3 or even custom style menu system for selecting game modes and changing the game settings
    • A custom title screen with the "UnFair Sonic One" logo
    • Tutorial level or Practice level, to set examples of some of the types death traps and puzzles (not all of them) that will appear in the game and allow the player practice before playing the actual levels
    • An arcade mode, were you have progress through the levels as much as you can before you run out of time and without dying.
    • A reward system that gives you points as achievements and unlocks new abilities for sonic, power ups and features for doing certain things such as beating the game or a level with 0 deaths. (yes i know some people are most likely to abuse save states because of this reward system)
    A short game play demonstration video showing the first part of green hill zone act 1 here (hidden in a spoiler below):

Anyway the download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/to2k4v3rskev681/UnfairS1_V2.11_PublicRelease4.bin

Like I always say, feel free to leave any suggestions and feedback.

Credits:
    Special thanks to KosmoF for helping me with the beta testing of this hack.

Edit: whoops I almost completely forgot about the credits spoiler. (added credits spoiler)
    Edit2: Added a gameplay video (media) as requested by LazloPsylus

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    No screenshots or video, and your hack topic gets trashed. You get 24 hours.

3. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The previous thread is over a year old, so I'm reasonable with this being a new thread...

...as always, I shall be playing this on stream tomorrow at around 6pm BST, and will of course, edit my post with my thoughts.

This is a hack that requires some degree of timing and accuracy to complete, therefore it's more of a challenging hack than anything else. It was quite a bit of fun as you saw on the stream, even though I never completed the first act.

I applaud you for providing some fun content to play with, but I won't hesitate to say that some common sense on object placement would have been preferable. The music's not so hot either.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. Joshwoakes

The reason I why didn't bump the original unfair sonic one thread was because it's over a year old (as markey jester stated that before me) and I was unsure about bumping a hack thread that is over year old and had been inactive for a long time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

Hey, Josh. Just a brief reminder, but when posting hacks we require (http://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?threads/showroom-submission-guidelines.2321/) the presence of a video or a screenshot. I understand you want to surprise everyone, but some people (like myself) want to know what we're getting into beforehand. Something more than enemies kill you and monitors restart the level. You could try a spoiler tag with an image in it. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a winner! Keep up the good work!

Joshwoakes likes this.
  7. Joshwoakes

@MarkeyJester Well i'm glad to see that you tried your best to beat green hill zone act 1 on stream and that's all that matters at this point in time but anyway thanks for the feedback.

8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Thought I'd give this a go too:

Link

Yes, I did ask permission lol

Joshwoakes likes this.
  9. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Well, I got to the end of GHZ1, touched the signpost and ran to the left, beyond the rock. I got straight to GHZ3, but with glitchy graphics.

10. Joshwoakes

@redhotsonic nice gameplay video, seeing some of your fails did actually make me laugh, anyway like I said via youtube comment on your gameplay video, It's nice to see that someone managed to finally beat the first level in this hack since the shc2015 version of this hack and I congratulate you for beating the first level. Also thanks for the feedback that you provided at the end of your gameplay video.

@MrCat Congrats on getting to GHZ3 but I noticed that you mentioned "glitchy graphics", now i'm not sure if your referring to the draw code messing up or just a graphical glitch\bug that you encountered in general as you didn't quite provide enough information for me to class that as a bug report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.