Sonic 2D Blast

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Painto, May 2, 2016.

?

Should I continue this project in the future?

1. Yes, you definitely should

59 vote(s)
    93.7%
  2. No, it's dumb

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

Hi guys! I would like to show you my hack of Sonic 2 - Sonic 2D (it's shorter name, the full one is in the ROM).
    This hack has only EHZ playable at the moment, but I may add more zones some time later.

Story:
    Sonic saw that nobody cares about hacks storylines, so he just decided to run & fight against Eggman once again on the Westside Island. This time with a twist...

Screenshots (with descriptions):
    Time for some images so you know what you download.
    [​IMG]
    Tails isn't playable in this hack so he isn't featured on the title screen. The menu was also unneeded.

[​IMG]
    My hack features new layouts and... this shield which basically makes Sonic OP. You can do Homing Attack and Stomp with it.

[​IMG]
    To don't make this a simplastic hack, I decided to do a new boss for my EHZ.

Future plans:
    If I'll continue this project one day, I may edit the Special Stages, do more bosses, etc.

Credits:
    Painto (me) - layouts, new coding (shield moves etc.), boss
    Abyssal Leopard, presto, Bakayote, EditChris - testing
    Sonic Boom - flicky icon art edit to fit original S2 palette (S2D with Tails)
    Sonic Team - original game
    Persons who worked on the Sonic 2 disassembly.

Download:
    The most awaited part of this thread. After reading all these useful informations, you would like to try it, yeah? It's possible! Just click on this blue text. If you would like to play as Tails as well, click here instead. Have fun. I hope you'll enjoy this as much as we did.

C&C, as always, it's welcome.

inb4, Scorched Quest isn't cancelled, I just did this because I got that idea.

EDIT: Updated the ROM with fixed springs.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

Oh, wow! I've heard many people talking about making a 2D-fied version of Sonic 3D for years now but never really saw those ideas go anywhere 'til now. While this doesn't go the whole way in terms of being authentic to Sonic 3D itself with the levels and using big rings where the flickies are deposited (though the substitute does its job), I really enjoyed playing this. Not sure why Tails was deliberately made to be unplayable among some other minor nitpicks, but the 2 parts of each act felt like just the right length and were constructed quite nicely overall. There's some things I'd personally like to see tweaked in future releases, but I had fun playing this and hope to see more. Good job, man!

Crimson Neo and Painto like this.
  3. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

The hack idea that has been thrown around and discussed countless times finally comes to reality: a hack that uses a similar concept to Sonic 3D Blast (in short Sonic 2D Blast). Here is a short review of it.

The level design was quite suitable for this kind of concept and was actually quite fun to travel through, though there were times were I got stumped looking for certain enemies, the Buzz Bombers in particular were a bit of a bother since they are flying and they tend to off screen themselves. The flickies were a bit annoying to catch sometimes especially since their bouncing is based off of the original Sonic 2 when a flicky is freed, it would've been better if their AI was similar to the 3D Blast flickies (i.e the blue flickies would fly around actively looking for Sonic).

I really liked the Downward Dash you gave to the gold shield when you aren't close to an enemy. I would've personally preferred a double jump as the move that Sonic would perform when not near an enemy (ala Sonic Colours/Lost World) but the downward dash is fun to use especially when high up in the level. The boss was a nice recreation of the original Green Grove boss, I am surprised other hackers haven't tried making their own versions of the 3D Blast bosses but then again not many hacks have custom bosses.

Overall a solid demo, I am glad to see that another hack idea has finally become a reality after being discussed for so long (now all we need is that Sonic 1, 2 and 3&K hack). I think you should continue this but only after you've finished Scorched Quest. I'll be awating future updates to this hack once SSQ is finished.

SaunicBoom and Painto like this.
  4. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Interesting concept. Lets go into the possitive stuff.

I like the level layout. It really fits well with how the game is being played.
    I do like the yellow shield. Is it just doing a stomp or is it a homing attack one?
    The rings in the end is well done. But imo I would like to see some Sonic 1 Special Stage Rings instead of a star ring.

The Critisisms:

While we have level layout that is good. There is moments where it's little bit too hard to get to places unless you do a manover or are really lucky.
    I personally would like the timer to go beyond 10 minutes. Or having different difficulties.

That's about it. Overall I enjoyed this hack.

Painto likes this.
  5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

I really like this hack, and would love to see it continued further. The mechanics are rather faithful, and I enjoyed the boss, although I felt the ball bounced a little too much. Collecting the flickies works rather well, although sometimes I felt I had to wait for a bit until I could pick them up, and sometimes they jump from a floating platform down to another area I can't see, so I'm wary of making a blind jump to get them.

There are quite a few strange layout issues,also, that irritated me a little. I've included a few screenshots in the following spoiler tag, along with some descriptive text:
    First of all, a lot of horizontal springs I encountered on the ground, like this one, I could push into from the other side. This stopped my flow of speed quite a bit, and was a little annoying.
    [​IMG]

The rings are too low to grab without getting hurt. I would also recommend against using spike sets that are 2 wide like this, unless it's a spike pit or similar.
    [​IMG]

This bridge doesn't look right at all. Bridges should be used to connect 2 level chunks together, not like this screen shows. It doesn't look very good like this.
    [​IMG]

Quite a few chunk issues here. The waterfall seems to just stop and the spring is used to path up the questionable chunk placement. What's worse, take the spring up...
    [​IMG]

...and you are encountered with this. The chunk placement here is all wrong. Loop chunks should not be used like this, and the waterfall is still not connected on the right side. Also, the chunks to the right of the loops surface are uneven. Loop tops were never meant to connect to ground like that.
    [​IMG]

I came to this loop after looking around for a bit, and couldn't continue. It seems that a path swapper might be missing somewhere.
    [​IMG]

I ran down the curve right into this monitor. I would not advise doing something like this. Expecting the player to roll, when they might not, is not a good idea. Also, the wall pieces to the right of the tunnel just stop, with some cut-off.
    [​IMG]

Although this spike set is placed somewhat correctly, I would advise against it. You can see some issues on the left and right side due to the lack of flowers. This is also right at the start of the second act of the first zone, and feels a bit cheap. The floating platform also falls right onto them.
    [​IMG]

Painto and Crimson Neo like this.
  6. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Expect to win 47% of the contest trophies this year during the SHC, then get bitched at because the judges supposedly played favorites, and then people calling to ban you from ever entering the Contest again.

Why?

Cause this shit was good. Like real good son. When I come to SSRG, this is what I expect to see. Not multiple stupid dickish layout hack, some stupid fangame with a plot longer than the amount of code used to make it, or really random, weird, and disproportional jpgs of people splashed onto the background of a compilation game.

For years, people have been expressing the want of a "Sonic 2D Blast." You made it a reality. Good job. This hack is not only amazing in concept, but also FUN.

FUN?

Yes, fun. There are some hickups with some level layouts, but they are mostly clean enough to manage through. Actually, some parts of layouts will kick your ass if you don't fully understand how Sonic Physics work. There were times where I was like, "Where the fuck is that last badnik at? FUCKING HELL!!!" But don't get me wrong, that isn't a bad thing. It is actually refreshing and nice to see that people fully understand what makes Sonic great, which isn't just speed, but exploration.

I was actually on the road earlier, and I was talking to SonicBoom on the phone earlier. While we were talking, he was playing your hack and had mentioned getting frustrated, but then he had a few "God damn it, I'm an idiot" moments. I will agree with him that maybe this layout is a tad bit difficult for a first level, however, it isn't impossible. If anything, it made me rethink playing it when I got through it. I usually explore a level, but only after I play through it once. Knowing the shtick of the hack makes one explore and use Sonic's physics to one's advantage.

Painto, you never fail to deliver, but this is, dare I say as an ironic echo to my intro, the Next Level =V

7. its boomer

its boomer Newcomer Member

Very good hack. Jobs liked to collect the flickies. And the boss is hilarious. I liked hack in the style of Sonic 3D Blast.

Bluestreak likes this.
  8. Painto

Wow, didn't expected that. Thanks you all for your opinions. I'll take all what you've said to consideration and try making even better thing for next release.

I'm glad you liked it. I'll surely work on the design issues (for example that waterfall in act 1 sect. 1, I thought it'll look and play cool). Tails isn't here because palette issues and plans related to him and Special Stages (entry like in S3D). The hack was rather meant not to be a Sonic 3D direct port to 2D, but rather a Sonic 2 with 3D Blast elements - flickies, shield, boss, etc. so I'll keep the original Sonic 2 zones, however I may select and edit only these zones that correspond to these found in 3D (unless you want me to cover all the zones). The probable level order in this may be EHZ > ARZ > CNZ > MCZ > HTZ > CPZ or MZ > MZ or DEZ.

That said, once again I'm glad you liked it and I'll surely work on it later. You may expect it on SHC.

That's all.

I'm sorry that I had to use something different that the big ring, but I don't know much about managing art and it's locations/usage (for example DPLC's) so I used the existing art instead without overwriting anything. If you want Sonic 1 elements however, there's actually one. The LevSel cheat :p

EDIT: I found a solution for Tails & Special Stages - in Tails gameplay, he could use Sonic to warp instead. Updated the OP with ROM with Tails playable. Thanks to Sonic Boom for his Flicky icon edit, so I could use original palette. To play as Tails, press B on title screen (ring sound will play) or go to Level Select and select PLAYER MODE*02*.

9. D.A. Garden

The new update with Tails has actually broken the flickies' behaviour when you are hurt. Instead of them jumping away and you have to recollect them, they will freeze in place for a second, and then re-appear behind you. In the previous version, this didn't happen. I also had a scenario where a flicky jumped from a badnik through a platform object and I couldn't get to him, so I had to restart the level (Act 1). You should probably be careful with both the placement of badniks and the area/direction in which they jump. Also, being able to pick up a flicky only when they first hit the ground is a little weird, but it makes sense. However, because they jump away with such an arc and distance, I find myself having to make large, blind jumps from platforms to go and get them. I think I mentioned this before, but it's quite irritating.

10. Painto

Oh, that's probably because I've used the "+" thingies, added one for Tails check between the main animal code and the flying away after hit one so it branched to wrong piece of code. Fixed. Could you tell me where exactly happened what you've described? I would like to fix it as well.

11. D.A. Garden

OK, so this only seems to happen on occasion, not all of the time, but the flicky has disappeared again.
    I took some screenshots to show you what happened:
    In Act 1, there's this coconuts badnik up here. When I defeat him, a flicky (bird?) falls out and jumps left. I follow him left, off the platform to the path below.
    [​IMG]

This is where he should have landed, but he's not here. I presume he went through this platform. No worries, I can just go left, through the tunnel, and he should be on the lower path where this waterfall goes.
    [​IMG]

But he's not here. I can't see him anywhere and I don't know where he's gone. So, I can't complete the level. Either he's jumped somewhere he shouldn't or he has despawned.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: You can also die to the screen barrier (Just like in Sonic 1's Green Hill Zone) in the second section of Act 2 with a stomp attack. If you go to the flicky ring area, the camera scrolls up. Move left and quickly stomp and you will die as the screen has not scrolled down quick enough to allow you go round the curve.

Painto likes this.
  12. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I'm the one who said that I didn't like the idea and it's mainly because I don't enjoy 2D Sonic games (or any 2D plat former) that force exploration. Exploration works a lot better when it's something you can do to find goodies or a shortcut. When you're forced to explore, it drastically changes the gameplay so that speed can be more of a hindrance than a reward for playing well because going fast might make you might miss an important spring. Also, when you don't know where to go, it makes the game feel more frustrating than fun and finishing the level gives a sense of relief more than a sense of accomplishment. That doesn't mean the hack is bad and this isn't the only game I've had that problem with. Hacks like the 30 Day Challenge Revisited and the adventure mode of Retro Remix have had these problems despite being very well made.

If you want to do an exploration hack in a way I'd think is more fun, make it Metroidvania-style where you have to go through a level section before getting an item. That way, you have a definite direction to go in and you won't miss the item.

Here is what I think about the hack itself:
    -I'm surprised how accurate this is to the original game with no noticeable bugs.
    -The floating islands are out-of-view and not that easy to get to. I recommend adding something to let you know they're in a place like that (like Sonic Adventure's emerald radar) or keeping them in places that are easier to access.
    -Another thing you can do is make the enemies viewable in an easy to find place but you can't kill them unless you take a certain route. This allows the player to see where he/she needs to go.
    -The levels seem kind of barren and void of challenge since there are only ten total enemies. I recommend adding hazards that don't contain flickies but can damage you (like the exploding things in Green Grove Zone).
    -It's nice to see your EHZ level designing has improved since Sonic 2: Painto Edition.

Anyway, it's an awesome hack and people have been waiting for it for years (just Google search "Sonic 2D Blast") but it's just not for me.

@SuperEgg Without any new art, music, enemies, moves, etc., there's no way it getting that many prices would be possible. This is the kind of hack that would get a second or third place trophy like Knuckles' Emerald Hunt did for it's solid concept, gameplay, and level design, but, because it isn't doing anything too outstanding or completely revamp the game's and feel, it wouldn't get much else. If there was something like a 2D recreation of Green Grove or Rusty Ruins, that would be first place stuff.

13. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Got some time around playing some of this and i found it to be really fun. The way everything was setup was just perfect to me and wish to see more of this so i would more than love for this to be continued. Good stuff bro.

14. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

I just tried this hack, and it seems pretty nice! I had a few problems, however. Some enemies are in very hard-to-reach places, and sometimes are impossible without getting enough speed. The flickies are also a bit hard to catch in this hack. Some of the level design is also a bit odd. Nevertheless, I look forward to seeing more.

15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I haven't tried this yet, but from what everyone is saying and going by, it's definitely worth checking out.

I was going to do a video if this (yes, I've gained permission from Painto), but I think I might do a live Stream instead on Friday 6th May 7pm BST.

AbyssalLeopard likes this.
  16. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    I don't quite understand what your complaint is with the hack. If the concept is to be a "Sonic 2D Blast" , then it is given that the main purpose of the hack is exploration. That's like complaining that water is wet. Your other complaint was not knowing which way to go? Let me ask you this. Did you know exactly where you going when you first played Emerald Hill Zone? I mean, obviously, but which path did you take? Did you know about the ring tunnel near the beginning? Did you know how to get those two pyramid ring formations on top of the last loop-de-loop? Did you know about three item boxes above the second Star Post? Or the hidden 10 ring box near the beginning in the waterfall area?

The answer is no, unless you had a guide (which I call hax btw), there was no way you know about all of those things. You complaining about not being able to find your way through a clearly defined exploration based level is sorta silly. If it is your first playthrough, well no shit. If you could find your way through it the very first time, that means it was too easy.

I heavily disagree with that.

One reason is that the screen doesn't need to be cluttered with more shit.
    Second reason? The level portions are small enough that one can easily go back and forth.

As far as the thing islands not being easy to reach, that's where your mastery and understanding of Sonic Physics needs to kick in. If you see something that's high up, and you're near a loop or a slope, your need for speed should kick in.

I'm glad that you are objective about it. There are people who would take this hack and go, "I don't like it. Fuck off, you cockwhore. It sucks."

Also...

I'm well aware, I was being overly sarcastic and calling out all the cunts complaining about the results last year contest.

Also, you didn't need to spell that all out for me, after all, I'm a judge, I kinda know what needs to be done =V

MarkeyJester, Devon and Painto like this.
  17. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

The problem isn't that I have trouble finding where to go, the problem is that I don't think finding where to go is as fun as normal Sonic gameplay. Having to run back and forth through the same level doesn't seem as interesting to me going from start to end and experiencing new things along the way. I'm not complaining about the water being wet, I'm complaining that I don't like the water in general, even if it wasn't wet (or something like that). If I made a Superman 64 review, I'd criticize the developers for thinking that flying through rings was a fun idea for gameplay, even if it was done well, despite the fact that some people may like flying through rings.

Another thing, I knew that the end of my other post was pointless but I added it because it was what I first thought when I read your post.

Lastly, I admit that I did know where to go because I watched Razor Zennon's gameplay video because it was the first thing I saw that had anything to do with this hack. Seeing where things were still didn't affect my opinion of those types of hacks, though.

18. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

This is your 7 hour warning! The stream is tonight, 7pm BST. The Main event is "Sonic 2D Blast" by Painto! As well as "Dr R Mean Bean Machine challenge" and more. Save the time!

LINK

Permission gained by Painto =P

19. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

How did I miss this? I need to try it. I always wanted to recreate rusty ruin in 2D.

20. Stardust

Stardust [screams in cat] Member

Made a video of this hack:

The only nitpick for me is that, the bounce of EHZ's boss ball could be reduced a bit.
    Also, is it possible to add the sfx for collecting a flickie from the original game? A checkpoint sfx doesn't really fit, tbh. :/

Looking forward to seeing where this goes, Painto!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.