Community disassemblies

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by AURORA☆FIELDS, Mar 1, 2016.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

In general, opinion on AS is very negative here, especially among certain people who would be leading this project. Besides, Sonic Retro's GitHub is already full of disassemblies using AS.

EMK-20218 likes this.
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

AS isn't bad, so long as you set it to quite mode, and get the batch to automatically delete those useless files generated from it after it has done assembling. I use as for z80 myself.

EMK-20218 likes this.
  3. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

if we go with VASM, they have branch for both 68k and z80. They can easily be assembled separately and then combined into one binary. z80 is a nonissue for other assemblers beside AS.

4. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

My hack uses AS as its current compiler. At first I used SNASM68K, but I got tired of having to fix addresses to compile my hack, so that I converted it to ASM68K later.

Due to the need of porting the 128x128 level engine from Sonic 2 in a easier way, thanks to Tornado, this decompiler was changed to the AS. And to be frank, I never had any problem with it. The only one I found was this one described by Markey.

5. tilk

tilk Active Member Member

If you mean the .lst file, that's not so bad... At least helps pointing out where an error is, if the .log doesn't. A example of this, is in Sk git disassembly (or old AS ones), that uses a .bat compiler that doesn't generates a log

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

He could be talking about the .p file. s2disasm outputs a .h file, too.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    MarkeyJester likes this.
  7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I was, yes.

Both the .p and .h files seem to be useless after assembly time has finished, I'm assuming though, that there probably is a post assembly use for those files, somehow, but we has a scene tend not to use, or have no use for (I would love some clarification on that, just for my own records if anything), so they might as well be deleted after assembly is finished.

8. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

The .p file is the data outputted by the assembler, which can be translated into a binary file with p2bin or a hex dump with p2hex, examined with plist, and merged with other .p files with bind. It is basically useless once you have a binary file or hex dump.
    The .h file is a header file which contains info on symbols shared from the asm, and can be used as you would use any header. At least in Sonic 2, the build process partially overwrites the header file with information on the size of the compressed sound driver, making it useless as a header file.

MarkeyJester likes this.