SEGA Mega Drive Classics Thread!

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by TheStoneBanana, Apr 22, 2016.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

It sounds like an idea, but frankly, the old hacks that I've done that support SRAM, are far too old, any updates to the wiki or download spaces will not rectify the problem, as many will have downloaded a copy prior to the update, and have the old "non-blocking" version on their hard drives. Those are the copies that are liable to be uploaded.

I'm just speaking from someone who has his hacks uploaded by others, rather than himself. Your method doesn't cover that, therefore, I demand a refund...

2. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Blocking future ROMs is better than doing nothing. Meanwhile we can only wait until SEGA does something or people voluntarily changes their mind.

3. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

โบวี่ likes this.
  4. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    And that accomplishes... what, exactly? You want to block the SMDC emulator, you need much more creativity. SRAM is such a stupid little bit of hardware support that will likely be fixed in the future for various reasons, so trying to rely on it to block operation in the SMDC emulator is pretty unreliable on any time frame past immediate. What needs to be done instead involves deeper checks into emulator behavior. Detect something that's unlikely to ever be fixed. Something obscure. There's ways, you just have to think outside of the box.

Oh, and then there's those who hack the ROM to work anyway. But good luck with those people.

5. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

And that's why Sega should moderate and approve hacks before they show up on the main workshop, instead of relying on late reports afterwards. Maybe it wasn't practical at this time because a flood of hacks got uploaded at the same time, but in a regular scenario I don't think the numbers would be unmanageable, it's not like there are dozens of new hacks every day. Perhaps Sega could even appoint a trusted individual from Sonic Retro and/or SSRG as independent moderator, there are many worthy candidates for such a position should it ever exist. Likewise, people from other hacking communities should follow suit (since it's not limited to Sonic games).

6. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Nineko funny you say about people from SR and SSRG, I actually mentioned this in a SEGA made video. And I think they should do that, for example SR and SSRG staff members could easily moderate not only the entries but what the mess the workshop "forums" are. There is quite a bit of spam and basically people fighting on dumb things. Though I do not know how well Steam supports this, nor if SEGA thinks they should or should not moderate it. I would really hope SEGA tries to get it working, so we can make sure people can't continue ignoring SEGA's and our wishes about stealing ROMs.

7. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

SEGA needs help with moderation, but what do it say that they will or may pick people from SR and/or SSRG specifically? what is going on? Just wondering.

EDIT: Replying to a late "Recent posts" list? So late it now looks useless ¬_¬

8. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

The Solo Sonic guy either knows a lot of people, or is just spamming hacks. Of course, I have no way of telling for sure, but it's a pretty weird sight.

9. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Isn't he a trialist here? I think that this is just spamming.

10. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

It's obviously the latter, but ey. If my hack gets put up there I'll be having words.

11. ArcaniaCQ

Well I have uploaded my hacks.

12. ArcaniaCQ

13. Clownacy

So, I asked MainMemory about one of his hacks that Solo Sonic uploaded, and he says he wasn't asked for permission. I think it's a safe assumption that the authors of the other 46 hacks didn't give permission, either. Not counting those like MarkeyJester that gave permission to everyone in the first place, anyway.

EDIT: Turns out he's a member here.

EDIT 13/09/2016: They're gone now.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  14. Animemaster

Well if Main Memory wants him to take it down, all he can do is send him a pm and asked. But hey, I mean, if he doesn't, don't think there is anything you can do. I'll assume he may have already done this anyway.

15. Clownacy

16. Animemaster

Well, only if Main Memory wants to take that action. Like myself not realizing that some of my hacks are on there, I've asked both people to kindly remove them. I will wait a bit, and if they do not I may have to flag them.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Could you please stop putting a space in my name? Thanks.

Soldaten likes this.
  18. Clownacy

Today's delusional prick doesn't see the stupidity of "it's not a crime if you don't get caught". It seems my previous (months old) report was ignored, but now that this moron has given himself away, I don't think a few more reports will go unnoticed~

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=719217231

19. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Already reported him. Fucking toxic waste of life.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

Right from Steam's Sonic 1 Plus thread:
    That's actually the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. Tried to report him, but I failed. Having to pay 5$ just to report a person is unacceptable. Great job, Steam.