Sonic CD-Style Drowning in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by bluBird, Apr 25, 2016.

1. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

Hello. Now that I'm back from the dead (once more) I'd thought I'd show you some progress of my hack. I've been experimenting with my sonic hack, Sonic 1 TX, and I tried to do something new:

What do you think? :)

On the other hand, I'm also putting in new music in my romhack. But that's for another day.

Royameadow and NiphFM like this.
  2. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

I never liked the typical drowning music. To me, this is far preferable. I can not express just how much I like what you've done.

Chaotix likes this.
  3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I like that it's been changed from the ususal drowning theme, but I think a better sound effect could have been chosen for the counter. Otherwise, nice work!

4. bluBird

Thank you for the feedback. Also, sorry, the bumper sound is the best one I could find -- if you have any suggestions, I might consider those.

I'll do what I can to expand on this.

5. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

I went and took a look in the Sonic 1 Sound Test for you. I found a few things you could give a shot. That being said, sound effects are not my strong point, so I'd take other people's opinions of my suggestions more seriously than my suggestions on their own:

A9
    B8 (maybe.. it would be kind of odd, but I can see it working. Not very loud, though)
    BA (I think this is what you're using)
    C7 (I like this one personally)
    CD (Not this on its own, but a variation, maybe)

These are just a few suggestions. I can say that there are probably better ones in other games, but wanted to suggest some that are in the native ROM for simplicity's sake. That being said, I'd imagine most people would think these are horrible suggestions. I'm a level designer -- sound effects are far from my forte.

Very far.

6. bluBird

Right now, I'm using a modified version of B4 as the sound effect (bumper). All of these sound effects seem to fit in well, I may go with BA or A9.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

Damn, I really hate the drowning music while playing a custom music hack. It just interrupts the song you are listening forcing you to restart it.

bluBird likes this.
  8. bluBird

This is actually one of the reasons on why I did this, not because the drowning music makes people wet themselves. Somehow. I never found it scary or frightening.

Look forward to this feature being in my ROM Hack, coming soon... maybe.

9. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

You haven't played S2R then. When you get an air bubble (or out of the water), the level music fades back in and resumes from where it got cut off =P

Pacca and Giovanni like this.
  10. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

Oh thank God you remembered me your hack! I forgot about it because I played it more than a year ago.