General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. GenesisDoes

GenesisDoes What Nintendont Member

Act 1 looked very vanilla, with some recognizable areas from stock Sonic 2, with much more changes in Act 2. I also like the palettes!

2. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

@GenesisDoes: Thanks for the feedback, I was a bit cautious of making this kind of level design, basically a rearranged EHZ with some set pieces from the Nick Arcade Prototype version of EHZ and Hill Top Zone placed in to spice things up, weither that's a good method of making new level design or not is up to the viewer.

3. Raionhardt

Raionhardt Vanguard Member

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

I think that the speed of the title card triangles are going a bit too fast. Otherwise, it looks pretty decent.

5. Raionhardt

Yeah, you right. Other people noticed it too. I will tone the speed down a bit. Weirdly, I replayed it on the engine and noticed the video made it worse.

6. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Mockup.

MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5; Volume 03 Demo Main Menu (Mockup).png

Those of you who have been following the progress of MIAA Women's Hockey 2015 over on The NHL '94 Forum already happen to know that editing and overhauling the art of NHL Hockey '94 is something that I have been prominent in doing since I had joined the scene in March of last year, I have been able to edit most of of the artwork in '94 without limits, but the two major things of art that cannot be properly edited in an Assembly Hack of Wboy's Thirty Team ROM editing template happen to be the Main Menu and the Matchups Screen Background; this mockup from October 07 of last year is an example of what I am aiming to do here for the Main Menu in Volume 03.
    I presume that this is something that only a Disassembly Hack would be able to make become a reality, but as we know at the moment, NHL '94 has not obtained a Disassembly as of yet, so I guess that what I want to do with this will have to wait until that becomes made public to us and the respective software is made for editing all of the artwork; perhaps some of you might be able to assist on the matter, I would love to insert a custom background into NHL '94's menus at some point, it would help in optimizing MIAA 2015 and definitely would polish up the visual approach a good lot for other ROM hacks of '94, that definitely would be a positive for the scene.

7. Raionhardt

Another Video, showing slope physics working in 3D.

8. elaymm4

elaymm4 Bubble Car Member

You ever seen a chocolate planet?

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I have, yes. But that's pretty damn sweet! Well done~

I'm not sure where you're going with that HUD style though.

NiphFM likes this.
  10. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Isn't some of that art from james pond?.

11. elaymm4

elaymm4 Bubble Car Member

I did not even know about this game

12. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

It makes me to remember Zool, but with more chocolate than lolipops and candies.
    But I wonder why is everyone using the Chaotix font in their HUD. This is getting too fucking boring, repetitive and tedious.

FохConED likes this.
  13. FохConED

FохConED Join to Digital Resistance! Member

It's looks pretty good, damn. And yes, change hud to own and will be cool. It takes not so a lot of time.

14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

There's is nothing wrong with using the Chaotix HUD. Why should it be changed, when it's already been changed from the original HUD anyway? It also doesn't matter how long it takes to change it; maybe ElaymmFour likes the Chaotix HUD, hence why it was chosen?

M.N.K. likes this.
  15. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

That's what I feel like when people think I put Shadow in my hack to be edgy. He is my favorite Sonic character not because he is edgy but because I like his back story, and his personality. Anyway yeah let him use Chaotixs hud, plus not all of us can be artists and think of our own designs. Cut him some slack. Also yeah it is from James Pond but that doesn't really matter either. I used art from other games for my background mockups.

Crimson Neo, Pacca and LordXernom like this.
  16. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

The font is not bad, but when it flashes I see a mess of color. Fix it.

17. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Not this argument again...

Things are getting a little meta: people changing something from the base game because it was there to begin with, which apparently makes it boring, but because so many other people have done it, it, itself, is also boring. You (used to?) see that issue with S3K music. I mean, really, how many hacks put Hydrocity Zone's music in Labyrinth Zone? Only difference is, I've never actually seen the Chaotix HUD in a hack besides Megamix before. Honestly, I could argue more about the S3D title card font's overuse than that. I guess this is just an inherent problem with swapping assets rather than creating them. All a hack has to show nowadays is what pattern of swapped assets it has, since the individual swaps have all been done by now. If it were S2's or S3K's HUD, I think people would still disagree with it.

Now, to actually contribute something to this topic, the new HUD is really confusing. Score goes to the right of SCORE, time goes underneath TIME, rings go... at the bottom of the screen- I thought the way the old HUD was laid out was so all the important stuff was in one place? Combined with the aforementioned art change, and SCD life icon (now that I've seen too many times before), it's almost like the HUD was changed simply for the sake of changing something, and not because it was actually practical. I know 'but why not' is a thing, but I really have to ask 'but why'.

EMK-20218 likes this.
  18. EMK-20218

*Cough*... *Cough*... Then I present you Sonic 1 Harder Levels. The second one (after Megamix!!) which used the Chaotix font style on HUD, but the only one I remember which had the Chaotix HUD font style and a shading replica on everything including in the HUD numbers, lives counter numbers and character name in lives counter. Since 2003. But there's at least other 3, 4 or even 5 released hacks after Harder Levels that used this same HUD letters. *Cough*...
    [​IMG]

One thing really doesn't match the style of the other thing's stuff on it. That's the major problem, not the font used itself.

19. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

My hack back in 2001 used the Chaotix HUD, and before that Rika's Sonic 2 Advanced Edit also used it. In fact, back then it was all the rage to use that HUD, so you'll probably find you're more like the 20th person to put that HUD in a hack. It's really nothing new, and wasn't new when it was put in Megamix. That said, I've always found the Chaotix HUD to be a nice looking design so I've got no complaints with it being used a lot.

EMK-20218 likes this.
  20. EMK-20218

Hahah, I remember it. I was sure I saw this HUD somewhere before, but I just didn't remember the place where it was from.

Hahah! It's true, but I know it. That's the reason why I mentioned my hack was the first one after Megamix to have it. Because my hack was released with this HUD just after the release of Megamix 3.0 (or it was v4? Hm... I don't remember the version itself, though). In fact, I didn't say that my hack was the first ever hack to have this. Hehe. I remember slightly there were others before my S1HL, even when my memory doesn't allow me to remember which ones they were.

EDIT: Just to clear the things, I didn't say this HUD is ugly, bad or that I'm against it or something like this. I just mentioned the fact that this HUD is very overused actually. I don't have absolutely nothing against it. Especially because I'm used to love this font style. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2016