Sonic ERaZor – Fulfilled Edition

Discussion in 'Staff Projects' started by Selbi, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Sonic ERaZor – Fulfilled Edition (Sixth Public Release)

Technically speaking, Sonic ERaZor has been finished over two years ago. However, after watching many Let's Players suffer at the wrong parts (as in, despite me being a sadistic bastard, they had problems in sections where there weren't supposed to be any), I realized just how many things were left unpolished.

I've decided to dig it out ERaZor for one final instance (hopefully for real this time) to fix these issues, and also go back and change a few other things that have always bothered me. One thing is that I finally got rid of the superfluous Life system! There always were infinite Continues by default anyway, so it served no purpose at all. Instead, it's now displaying how many times you've died already, so you always know just how bad you are!

Listing all the new features would be boring, as these are mostly bugs most people wouldn't even notice.

However, there is one specific feature I wanted to have added years ago...

2. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

Cross-post from Sonic Retro:

I have just been torturing myself for the last few hours (Oh, the joy) and can officially say that the newly added last challenge has broken me. I can't do it, and I don't want to. I just don't see any benefit in doing it, and I have come to the conclusion that, even if it offered me everything I ever wanted for completing it, I'd tell it where to go. Well done, Selbi!

Also, I have come across a few issues that may either be as a result of newly added fixes, or may have been there from the start and no-one has noted them:
    • If you spam the air dash when breaking the three 10 ring monitors and the invincibility in Green Hill Place (Act 2?), it will create a permanent white palette for objects.
    • You can make game lag really badly due to too many explosions graphics loading. Take the lower path in Green Hill Place and keep spamming air dash. The game will begin to lag horribly, and won't go back to normal, even during the boss fight.
    • If you hold right at the start of the first special stage and keep pressing jump at the right time, you will complete the stage without actually playing it.
    • You can drown at the end of Labyrinth Place after the signpost, but it doesn't count as a death if the end-of-level text still shows up. It's just glitchy if it does. Only graphical issues.
    • Same as Special Stage 1, you can jump repeatedly left at the start of the second special stage and it will eventually think you've cleared it, throwing up the completion text and letting you continue.
    • You can spam the air dash in the walls in Scar Agony and get stuck with a full while palette again.

Also, spoiler for an issue with the new challenge:
    You probably guessed it, but the new, final challenge can also be skipped by pressing jump at the right time when hitting blocks or goal spheres at the start, although it just gives you the same text and screen as finishing the second special stage.

3. Selbi

Okay, new version is up, hopefully fixing all of these problems except one. I don't know how you managed to make the game lag so much in Green Hill Place, which is why I wasn't able to recreate it.

As for the special stages, are you sure you didn't hit ABC at the same time? Because if yes, that was intended (hard part skipper). That's also mentioned in the tutorial.

4. NoneofyourBusiness

NoneofyourBusiness Bag of plums. Member

That last challenge, GOOD GOD.

5. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Labyrinth is kinda broken. I skept the hard part, and when I got to the two pits section, I just fell into the bottomless pit..

6. Selbi

You did hit the lamp post first? Maybe I should reposition it so that nobody could jump over it.

7. pixelcat

It happens everytime, no matter if I hit lamppost or not

8. Selbi

No idea what you did then, it works fine from here. Maybe you give me a small video or something?

9. pixelcat

The problem is that Im playing on my Android tablet. I hope I'll find a solution

10. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

With Selbi giving the green light, I made a video on my first 20 minute play though (with commentary, obviously).

Link

Mr Cat, what emulator are you using on Android? Is it MD.emu by any chance?

11. pixelcat

yes it is.

12. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

I tried out the Black Challenge, and lemme just say this:

It is by far the hardest special stage I've ever done, and it makes Scar Night Place look like a cakewalk.

Please don't ask me for a video...I likely failed over 400 (read: a fuckton) of times, and I do not intend on going through that again. Everything is the challenge's namesake color except for a few things, checkpoints are many, but far between, and it can often be difficult to know where you're going. Seriously, you don't want to know how many times I went backwards because I wasn't sure where to go after failing. Mainly at the part where there are 4 or 5 consecutive view flip blocks and I was already past them, yet kept trying to go back through them thinking it was the right way. Does not help that Sonic is constantly moving wherever down is, making the ending section especially difficult considering you have to account for the complete 180 done the moment after you get one emerald and must go back and around again for the second one; I have tried to turn Sonic into the area with the other emerald. No matter what I did, it did not work.

tl;dr god damnit selbi this had me trying for over an hour

But hey, debug mode as a reward is nice.

13. Sith

Sith Active Member Member

*lazy cut 'n paste :p*, but the people here can read my opinion from it.

If there ever would be a hack that makes me love and hate it at the same time, then this one is it.

That opening cutscene made me smile. I could almost hear that bug bomber scream hadoken every time he fired one. :D
    I love what you did to the game. You invented new gameplay mechanics and totally changed the experience.
    The ruined place is like a whole different game with that S monitor. And the bloody spikes are a nice touch. :p
    Wet pit of death changes the rules by limiting the scrolling. I even had to find out you couldn't touch a small piece of scenery to stay alive and had to jump over it. These neat little touches makes it all so much better.
    You turned a stage of the game into 'don't touch the wire' and how you implemented that concept into the special stage is epic.
    Your partially new tile art makes the stages feel somewhat different but retaining their familiar appearance.

The hate part is the difficulty level obviously. It's mentally insane. lol
    I absolutely cannot beat this game without savestates. The final boss is a nightmare.
    To get through I used a savestate for every succesful hit. :p

And then you offer a surprise with the hidden special stage. Disorientation can be a problem here, causing you to go back the wrong way if you don't keep track of where you need to go from each save point.
    I was persistent though and made it.

"You have beaten the black challenge. Here is a secret for you. ..."

Overall this hack oozes brilliance, professionalism but also a whole bag of frustration.
    Selbi you are a genius bastard!

14. Selbi

Welp, this is curious. Truly curious. I got interviewed. And yet, I wasn't. It was, as the article clearly states, an interview for my evil arch nemesis!

[​IMG]

CURSE YOU, SELDI! COURSE YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!

15. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

Oh and lets not forget everyone's favourite YouTuber, MegaDWolf!

[​IMG]

DanielHall and ProjectFM like this.
  16. Eiskaffee

Eiskaffee Tails in in the sonic movie Member

i dont think it has anything to do with the device you are using I played this version on my Aquos Crystal, my MacBook, my iPad, my Wii

17. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

It could be his tablet, or it could be his emulator. Genesis Emulators on Google Play aren't exactly stellar in terms of accuracy (or even functionality in general) and that could easily lead to in-game issues. If he's got an off-brand Andriod Tablet, there could also be hardware troubles that would only further hinder the gameplay.

Chaotix likes this.
  18. Selbi

That's not really likely at all. Sure, possible, but it's an awefully specific problem that directly affects gameplay. The Labyrinth Zone camera behavior is directly affected by a counter in RAM, so it'd take a lot of blue moons to get that specific number to glitch up from outside sources.

However, I'm afraid I won't bother fixing it, because I never heard of this problem before now after four years, and I just can't get it to replicate. Sadly, this has to go into the list of bugs that I hope won't happen to any other person. :V

FireRat likes this.
  19. bluBird

bluBird Game Developer Member

Spoiler alert:
    The Black Challenge is literally just Special Stage 4 all over again, just with sonic 4-like special stage physics and a black pallette.
    Either way, I loved Sonic EraZor. At times, it did feel a bit overwhelming. I really hated you for that bit in star light zone.

20. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

So, just gave it a try, went through the tutorial and options menu where I switched to s3 art, and got this
    Also, the camera entered in an "always extended" status. By dying in the second part, Sonic respawns in some not intended location I think, but the camera works as normal again.

[​IMG]

If helps, I am submitting my savestate here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.