SonLVL

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by MainMemory, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MaximumHack

MaximumHack Now with 100% more anime girls! Trialist

Like, is SonLVL better than SonED1&2?

2. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Well, whether or not one is better than the other is subjective. From my personal experience, I prefer SonLVL, but one may prefer SonED 2. I say that you should look through this thread on what it features and what others have to say about it and also use the tool to form your opinion. Same with SonED, too.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Hm. Following the "ObjectMacros" line, might it be a good idea if SonLVL supported the object positions and level's chunk maps in "limitless" macro format? limitless as in, for example, keeping the available area up to $7FFFx$7FFF, and at last the programmer can define the macro with his own prefered binary format? This way data could be arranged according to the necessity. I am not sure however the kind of "scheme" possible for the level layout format; I do not think the differences between Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 formats can be compensated with macro redefinition...

4. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

SonLVL can't parse object macros without having a list of ID constants, and I really have no desire to figure out how to make that work. Being able to define a custom object loader would enable SonLVL to support any conceivable format, like the custom layout loader, but I think it's a bit too hardcoded to specific ObjectEntry types for that to work.

FireRat likes this.
  5. MainMemory

It's been a while since I've posted, so here are some recent updates, if you haven't been paying attention to GitHub or the updater:
    • The palette blending dialog now has checkboxes so you can selectively alter only specific palette lines, useful for things like MHZ and SOZ's alternate palettes, where you don't want to change the shared top lines.
    • Holding the Shift key will now reverse the operations of some of the chunk/block editor hotkeys (decrease instead of increase).
    • Fixed selection in FG/BG editors so that dragging the mouse left and up will expand the selection rectangle in those directions, instead of whatever it was doing before.
    • Fixed a bug where an object's sprite wouldn't update if you pressed F3 to find the next object before property changes had a chance to be applied.
    • Added multi-selection to chunk and block editors.
    [​IMG]

FireRat and MarkeyJester like this.
  6. Rodnat

Rodnat Newcomer Exiled

I don't understand how to set it up.

I also looked at the tutorial and I do not understand it, please help me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  7. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Gonna need some information about your setup mate. Specifically, what game are you hacking, and what dissasembly are you using?

8. Rodnat

Rodnat Newcomer Exiled

i want to hack sonic 3 and knuckles and the same dissasembly and i dont understand how to set up :( its messing my mind

9. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

If you're using the github version, the .ini file should be in the folder marked "SonLVL INI Files". Find your disassembly folder with SonLVL, open the file literally named "SonLVL.ini", and select your level from there.

10. Rodnat

Rodnat Newcomer Exiled

Do i need to update the sonlvl first?

Also Write Me With steps pls

11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

1) Please do not double post. You can edit your previous post.

2) Don't quote the post directly above yours (you previous 2 posts have done this)

3) "Pls" should be spelt as "Please"

4) Misinko has practically already told you what to do, unless you are not using the github version.

12. Rodnat

Rodnat Newcomer Exiled

OK Sorry

THX IT WORKS!!!

13. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

We will also need you to please spell out words as well as using proper grammar and punctuation. This is not Twitter nor is this text messaging. THANKS!!

14. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Is there any way I can customize the type of compression a disassembly uses for certain things like I can with SonED2? For example, say I follow this guide and so I want SonLVL to decompress the level art from Kosinski instead of Nemesis. Is there something I can change in SonLVL's files or something I can add in the disassembly's .ini files that will allow it to be possible?

15. MainMemory

There are two options for changing the tile compression, before the first level definition, insert one of the following lines (or both, but that would be redundant):
    tilefmt=S2
    tilecmp=Kosinski

There is a reference on the wiki which is meant to be part of a larger manual, whenever I figure out how to write a manual.

Ashuro and ProjectFM like this.
  16. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hi!
    I have a problem on SonLVL!!

I'm using the Dynamic palette (different palette for each act) tutorial, and i have changed the SonLVL.ini file like this:
    http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/20/1463949781-sans-titre.png

I've edited the palette of the act 3 of Frozen Island (ghz3.bin palette file loaded of course), but in game, nothing was changed, like i've never made any change on SonLVL...

So what i haven't properly do? (sorry for bad english)

17. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

If the palette displays perfectly fine in SonLVL, but does nothing in game, then your problem isn't with SonLVL, but rather, your disassembly. It's likely that you didn't modify the code in your hacks .asm file to tell the game to switch palette files in each seperate act. SonLVL can't magically modify your games code, you need to do that yourself.

18. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

I've using the dynamic palette tutorial two fold, and i've using this since one year on a ex-project and it's work (with soned2).
    And with sonlvl: no.
    But thanks, i'll find the hoax

19. MainMemory

More updates:
    • Added support for S2's 2P mode (interlaced mode) restrictions in the editor, activated by specifying 2pcompat=True in level entries in the INI. Enabling this forces the editor to treat tiles as 8x16 instead of 8x8.
    • Simplified and optimized the art importer code, it's significantly faster now (EHZ1 imports in about 30 seconds, with collision and priority), and gives a detailed report of the chunks, blocks, and tiles added, and time taken.
    • Added ability to search for objects by X and Y flip flags, and to not search by ID.
    • Added dialogs to mass-replace chunks within layouts, blocks within chunks, and tiles within blocks.
    • Added Usage Counts dialog.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pacca likes this.
  20. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Is there an option to auto generate palettes when importing new art? If not, are their any other programs out there that let me do just that? Importing palettes by hand is a really slow process for me, and it often ends up looking all wrong...