Genesis Remixes

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by CS2612, May 17, 2016.

1. CS2612

CS2612 FamiTracker Trash Member

Well, hello there. It's been a while.

Recently i have gotten back into creating remixes of songs using what i thought were Sega Genesis (YM2612) instruments and sounds. However, i have found that my old method was quite...inaccurate. I was originally only using the "Ultimate Genesis Soundfont" by TheEigthBit, but this, as i found, is not the best way to make remixes.

After searching around, i found the YM2612 VST plugin by a Mr. Landon Podbielski (SuperJoeBob), which contained a .dll plugin that allows me to use these "preset" instruments from certain Genesis titles. It is a very neat tool and it has helped me out with finding some more accurate Genesis sounds.

I also found "Genny_beta_2" VST from Mr. Podbielski, but this, as i found, does not...work correctly. The preset instruments (although this plugin has many more) are either too loud or too soft, and upon reloading my editor, the VST will sometimes fail to load. I don't have this problem with the YM2612 VST.

I have also tried VOPM, but i had similar instrument volume issues.

I have tried to base my remixes off of the sounds used by TheLegendOfRenegade and Gecko Yamori (Savaged Regime) but mine just don't sounds as accurate, and i think better instruments may help me out, but since the Genny VST does not work, i have less of a selection to use.

Basically, is there any way i can either get Genny to work, or is there some other way to get accurate Genesis instruments to use in future remixes?

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Buy FM Drive for 10 EUR.

3. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

The volume issues probably come from improperly set TL levels. This is probably the case for many imported instruments, especially if they originate from VGM rips.
    You need to lower the TL values of the "output operators". (i.e. all operators that don't get used as input for another operator)
    TL means "Total Level" and controls the operator's attenuation. (lower TL value = higher volume)

(Buying stuff won't help if you don't know some basics about FM, btw.)

4. CS2612

While that is a valid solution (i think), i really would prefer not shelling out 11 dollars for a payware program for something like this project.

Alright, i'll see what i can do with that info. Thanks!

EDIT: How would i do this in Genny? I don't see an option for TL values. Changing the TL values in VOPM also corrupts the instruments, so...

Sorry for my idiocy: this concept is quite new to me.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  5. ValleyBell

Not sure if you've figured it out yet, but according to this screenshot it should be the "LEV" knob.

Also, as I said, you need to modify the level of only certain operators or you'll break the instrument. This depends on the algorithm. For algorithm 0-3 (if you start counting at 0) it's only operator 4, but for 4-7 you need to change some of the others, too. (all by the same amount, btw, or you'll break it too)

EDIT: There is a nice list of the algorithms in the YM2612 docs. The small pictures show you the "output operators". (The docs call them "slots".)

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  6. CS2612

Sorry to sidetrack, but where did you get that version of Genny? Mine looks a little different:

[​IMG]

Mine does not have that pitch slider to the right, and some other areas seem different. Could this "other" version be an older or newer one? My .dll (VST) is labelled "Genny_beta_2", so is this the problem?

Back on track, adjusting the LEV sliders works...until i save and reload the program (i use LMMS). Upon re-entry, the settings are reverted back to the default version. Also, the program seems to output NO sound whatsoever now, and for no apparent reason, no matter what settings i change or what instruments i use: there's just no sound at all coming from the program. Even after adjusting my headphones, the problem persists.

EDIT: The sound has returned, but it just shorts out again after a while still. WTF?

This is starting to get to me, and it's really becoming more of a hassle than an enjoyment.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  7. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

I'd suggest using ValleyBell's MD MIDI Driver. It comes with and works off mid2smps so finding it won't be a problem.

8. ValleyBell

I used the screenshot from the release post on SpritesMind.
    I never used Genny or VOPM, so I can't tell you any things specific to them. (The only VST I ever used is the Yamaha S-YXG50 VST, which I use as a MIDI device.)

9. CS2612

Maybe the "FL" version is different, but it's the same program.

Just...forget it. This is way too much of a pain to sort out. Thanks for your help anyway.