[WTF] S1 Dynamic Palette and SonLVL

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Ashuro, May 24, 2016.

1. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hi!
    Sorry, but i've posted the same question on several topics since several days, and my problem is put a "stop" in my work. :)

I've made a hack 1 year ago, and i've follow this guide and it's work perfectly with Soned2, i have a good GHZ act 1 day, GHZ act 2 sunset and GHZ act 3 night... :)

Ok, so in my new project hack, i wanted to implement this again, i've follow this guide and i helped myself with my old disassembly of last year. :)

ALL is exactly the same like 1 year ago, except i use SonLVL instead of Soned2.
    I have correctly put my pallete files in my pallet folder (incbin in sonic1.asm), PalPointers2.asm, Palpointers3.asm (include)... ALL is OK. :)

In the SonLVL.ini file, i've made this, same way like Soned2 .sep file:
    http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2016/20/1463949781-sans-titre.png :)

I'm able to edit act2 and act3 palette and it's work (i've open the palette files into sonmaped and SonLVL really edited the palettes)...
    BUT IN GAME, NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! :mad::mad::confused::mad:

So the problem is from SonLVL or my sonic1.asm?!!!

Don't ask me if i've really understand the tutorial or if i have forget something, because like i said, i'ts exactly all the same like 1 year ago with my old hack (and my old hack work, with soned2)... :oops:

And sorry if my english suck. :(

2. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

You should probably just be patient when waiting for an answer. No matter how many times you post a question, answers aren't going to just appear out of thin air. As for the actual problem, you may not have followed the guide correctly. I've never bothered with dynamic palettes so I don't have any experience but all I'd suggest is revert or replace the sonic1.asm file and redo the guide from start to finish, making sure you don't miss anything.

3. Ashuro

I'm impatient, i admit.

I've followed this guide 3 times since yesterday, reading everything and taking my time...
    Replace Sonic1.asm... Oh okay.. I think that it's impossible, i've two month of work in it, i don't want to start over...

4. NiphFM

Okay then. Have you changed the SonLVL INI files to reflect the palette file changes? It may still be referring to the original palette file.

5. Ashuro

6. NiphFM

Could you send me your sonic1.asm file through PM? I may be able to see the problem clearer from the ASM file.

7. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

Did you check through PalPointers2 and PalPointers3 to make sure all of the palette pointers were changed i.e. in PalPointers2 change GHZ to GHZ2. I made the mistake of not changing the file pointers back when I was working on my Sonic 1 hack.

8. Ashuro

It's not necessary, because i've find the problem...
    It's kind of strange but i've rename the pallet pointers.asm to pallet_pointers.asm, i'll do the same with 2 et 3...

And rename pallet pointers in sonic1.asm:

; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Pallet pointers
    ; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PalPointers:
    include "_inc\Pallet_pointers.asm"
    PalPointers2:
    include "_inc\Pallet_pointers2.asm"
    PalPointers3:
    include "_inc\Pallet_pointers3.asm"

And... it's work...
    F*ck, why?

9. Ashuro

Yeah, all the files are OK! This is why that so strange :confused:

10. NiphFM

Okay, guess that clears that issue up then! Good luck with hacking!

11. Ashuro

Thank you!!!
    Sorry for the trouble..

12. Ashuro

Another question!
    If i want to edit the waterfall in Green Hill Zone, am i obligated to put the c_ghz file into sonlvl.ini or is it like soned2, the palette cycle is edited from the standard palette file ghz.bin ?

Because it's no working! Damn i'm fed up

13. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Palette Cycles aren't supported by SonLVL, or any other editor I know of. They have to be modified by hand. It's annoying, I know, but the palettes can be modified in a stand alone palette editor (I remember that Nineko created a nice one I used to edit Labyrinth Zones cycling Palettes, but I forget what it was called).

14. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

or you can use hex! the palette format is simple enough to understand. for the record its 0BGR, and 3 bits per each colour (bits 1-4, bit 0 is ignored as well as the rest of them)

15. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden Sonic CD's Sound Test Member

You can also edit most palette files using HivePal, found here: http://segaretro.org/HivePal
    Ignore that it says 'Load ROM'; it can load individual palette files just fine, as long as you define the palette's length before getting it from the 'ROM'.

16. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

There is also SonMapED that also has that feature, just open up c_ghz or what ever.

17. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Please don't use SonMapED to edit palettes unless you're switching around their positions. It's way too frustrating to use, especially when shading. Almost any other palette editor would work better.

18. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

I disagree with it being complicated, but there are probably better palette editors. Besides, if your having that switching problem you just disable it. Settings - Color swapping - No color swapping.

19. Ashuro

Thank you all!

Last question: is it possible to have a c_ghz file for each act?

20. NiphFM

Yes, you literally copy-paste the dynamic palette from where you have it to where ever the hell you want the thing to go, change a few things from GHZ1, 2 or 3 to C_GHZ1, 2 and 3 and voila. That's what I suspect anyway...