Sonic Hacking Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

Seriously why the devil do you keep calling them "Superdelegates", they are all fucking judges.

2. InTheZone

InTheZone Well-Known Member Exiled

Because he respects them.

3. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Er... this is Sonic hacking, not politics. Please stop using your own made up terms to describe things that already have names. For example:
    Just saying SHC 2016 is fine, dude. You don't need to draw it out as much as humanly possible.

NiphFM, ArcaniaCQ and Soldaten like this.
  4. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

I for one think this appointment is horribly unfair, as both of the new judges have done work on my hack and therefore will be unable to vote for it, even though my hack objectively has the best music ever created for SMPS.

You guys are clearly conspiring against me, trying to stop me from a repeat second place finish!

please nobody take this seriously

Pacca, redhotsonic, FireRat and 5 others like this.
  5. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Yes, MainMemory. We worked very, very hard to select judges specifically to disqualify your hack. After all, we're conspiring behind the scenes to manipulate the contest so that only who we want wins.

Hehe, people taking things seriously ruins the fun of it all!

Anyway, this shit isn't some political system, so please don't make it as such. We're here to have fun and let the community show the best of itself (or the worst, depending on entry quality and behavior). Take the fluff and pretentiousness and shove them elsewhere.

6. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS

I have a massive fucking headache right now, but let me explain how this works, as short and simply as possible.

The Sonic Hacking Contest is a two System Contest. Originally, it was only the judges allowed to vote, but Ayla decided the thing needed more community interaction.
    As such, there are technically two votes going on, the Official Judges vote, and the Community votes.

Neither of these two interact with each other, and contrary to popular fucking belief, the Community vote, and let me bold this and make is as big as fucking possible here,

DOES NOT MAKE A DENT OR SWAY THE JUDGES IN ANY FUCKING WAY!!!!

I can not stress this enough. I have had enough of hearing and reading from you people who thing your votes sway us in any form to voting a certain way.

- "But you can look and see how the community is voting!!!! So it can sway you!!!! Checkmate, SuperEgg, you insipid whore."

I will say this for the last time, or when this post gets deleted for me being too mean and this issue is brought up again, I will say these same words again:

We have over 50 and in the case of last year's contest, 60 hacks to thoroughly examine. If ANY of you think we have the time to see how you people are voting, and thus being swayed, you're all delusional, and more than possibly paranoid. Take off your stupid tinfoil hats, you all look ridiculous. If you're that invested and concerned about a contest that is supposed to good fashioned fun, and only lightly competitive, this is not the place for you. Go outside, go get laid, go smoke a joint. I don't care. This trying to politicize this contest as a popularity contest needs to calm their tits, and chill their nips.

Now, I picked out Roya's post for a reason, because it is the longest, and also because it is the same stupid shit I've been hearing every time an update is made to the contest, but now rolled into one obnoxiously, and unneeded long post!!! WHIPEEEEEEEE!!!!

......(that was sarcasm.)

The two systems do not interact, they do not sway the other. We the judges vote by how we vote, and thus hacks win official Trophies from us.
    The community judge how they want, and then they get the win the Community trophies. Plain and simple.

There is no "Super-delegates."
    There is no "favoritism."
    There is no bribing.
    There is no cocksucking.
    There is no votebuying
    There is no anything here.

And I will keep saying these words from the rafters until I am out of my beautiful voice.

I'm going to take a nap now. You kids behave, be in bed by 10. Daddy has a long day of Java coding tomorrow.

7. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

I'm going to respond to this simply in case there was any doubt:

What SuperEgg just said is 100% entirely accurate. We don't care how you vote. I made this contest to promote breakthroughs in the field of Sonic Hacking. When countries compete (wars) they develop new technology. I saw this as a much friendlier version of that. A way for everyone to put forth their best effort and make something awesome.

I realised after the first 10 or so contests that this wasn't enough. Right before I placed SOTI as acting head, I told SOTI and Cinnosu that I felt this contest needed to engage the audience more. I wanted everyone that watched the results to be more invested in it. To feel like they were part of the contest regardless of whether they entered or not.

That was the birth of the user votes. This allowed people to say which ones THEY thought were the best hacks. This was meant as a way for the community to say what they felt made the best hack -- a statement to be taken alongside what the judges said. An analogy of this would be when fans of a sport bet on which teams they feel are going to win. The competition still happens and there are presiding judges that make the final judgment, but people outside of it can make a game of deciding who they think will win.

I know I wasn't around for the last couple contests. I got back toward the end of the last one, I wasn't around for the one before last year's, and I disappeared before the end of the one before that. Regardless, I've been here providing a guiding voice to make sure that the essence of this contest remains the same.

The essence of this contest is to be a fun, fair competition to make the best Sonic hack possible: be it a newer 3D mod or a 2D hack. There is no corruption or favourites. If there was, Spanner and I would quickly do away with anyone involved in any such activities.

TL;DR -- The community is not a delegate and we are not superdelegates or what have you. There are two contests involving the same hacks each year: one judged by the community, one judged by us. One does not influence the other.

8. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

I can't ignore this honestly. Mate, even in the political sphere (y'know, where the term is supposed to be used) judges and superdelegates are two entirely separate things. I mean, last time I checked, superdelegates don't rule over court cases, and Judges don't have any powerful sway over who the democratic party nominates as their candidate for president. The term especially doesn't apply to contest judges in any form. I get it mate, you want to sound "professional", but you can't replace words with other vaguely similar words and think that your sentence still carries the same meaning. And what's with this "Sonic Hacking Contest XIV Online" bunk? Are you trying to say that the contest is going to be hosted online? If so, that's kind've a given, and labeling it as "Online" is a little redundant. Last point, judging bias hasn't really been a thing, ever. I'm getting a little tired of hearing crap about judges being swayed one way or the other, in any way whatsoever. I'd be more than happy if all that talk just up and died tomorrow.

I know I'm overstepping my line (and after I had made a great post about how I was trying to eliminate the negativity in my life, dang) and I'm sorry for it. But at the very least, know that it's helping me through a bit of a headache right now.

9. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

With all the negativity that's going on here I thought i'll put something here that is really well needed.

Thank You judges, Thank you SSRG and Retro Staff that make the hacking contest what is it. The hacking contest is such a great time and I really hope that it doesn't get canned due to people trying to twist it into something that it's not. You guys don't have to do this. The fact that you take the time to make such a fun contest and put the work into to make sure every hack is judged fairly is really great of you guys/gals/etc and I cannot wait for the contest this year.

Anyways, good luck with judging and I hope we have some great hacks this year.

10. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Two Reasons:

~ Number 01: The 2016 contest is the Fourteenth Hacking Contest, given that the series had begun in 2002 and has had that amount of contests up to now, this one included, that is where the "XIV" in the name comes from.
    You might also notice that I do this numbering with Sonic Hacking Contest XI to XIII as well, and why I will refer to the 2017 contest under the name of Sonic Hacking Contest: Fifteenth Anniversary.
    ~ Number 02: "Online" in the name is actually a play on logo concepts, I also have mentioned this before on plentiful occasions.
    "Online" in the name comes from Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV, both of which have "Online" tagged below them at the end of their title name in the logo; technically, this would have made better sense for Sonic Hacking Contest XI, since it was the first contest to have an official Media Panel, but since I forgot to do so then, it only made sense to do so for XIV; that is where that comes from originally, can't explain that better than this.

11. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Oh guys please stop. We're only wasting time for telling Royameadow he's doing wrong. Can't we just ignore it and be more focus on preparing SHC 2016? This is pointless, because Royameadow will still do it. Seriously - remember blur images and videos with his friends controversy? He's still doing it and I found it kinda creative, because nobody had on YT so trippy videos... And you're not commenting his videos and images after that controversy. :D

TruffledToad likes this.
  12. Misinko

There's a legitimate reason both of those were tagged as "online" though. Before that point, the Final Fantasy series was strictly a single player RPG. XI was the very first game in franchise that was an MMORPG, and as a result, the tagline was necessary to make the distinction to players to know what they were buying. The same could be said for XIV, as it is the second MMORPG in a very long line of RPG games. The Sonic Hacking Contest has always been, and will always be, an online-only thing, considering it's operating out of two online communities, regardless of whether or not a media panel was added. It does not need the same distinction, and adding it to your logo (as well as constantly using it when casually talking about it) only serves as a redundancy. Seriously, you don't call FFIX Final Fantasy IX: Online (or the FF fanbase, for that matter), it's just known as FFIX.

AURORA☆FIELDS and Soldaten like this.
  13. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Okay, so I haven't read this page of craziness, just yet, but a kind-of nitpick I want to address:
    I wasn't around during 200X: I joined Retro in 2013. Keep that in mind when I voice my thoughts as a judge. I haven't been around as long, or seen nearly as much, as most judges.

Misinko and Soldaten like this.
  14. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

If we have superdelegates then Hillary Clinton is now a Sonic Hacking Contest Judge. Look at what you've done now.

SuperEgg, TruffledToad, Ayla and 9 others like this.
  15. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

So does that confirm that a certain Jester gets all the trophies this year? :V

AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.
  16. Misinko

First we have Trump as an Admin, then Hilary as a Judge.

What's next? Bush becoming the head of the contest?

17. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Whoa, hold the phone, '13?
    I guess that I have you mixed up with somebody else then, I could have sworn that you were in the scene for far longer than that, I wholeheartedly apologise for that inaccuracy totally; I do mean what I have said though: You are one of the better members in the scene right now, I could not ever judge that (no pun intended) and I do deliver strong acclaim towards what you have delivered to the community, you definitely are a powerful force in your own right and I know that your role in the contest will serve extremely well, not simply for the community, but especially yourself as well, I mean that without limits.

(Jokingly) Actually, that kind of works out in the favour of us, when I think of it.
    We will be able to stand our ground against her and overturn the outcome so that the votes of the people and current judges truly mattered this time around, there is no official winner until all of the votes are cast, respectfully.

@Misinko: No, I don't think that Jeb! would take over, not at all, that's where Bernie Sanders would come in.
    Remember: You can't deny the Contested Convention, interesting things always happen at them, you never know who will show up or what to expect; in relation to Sonic Hacking Contest XIII for a bit, The Next Level is a perfect example of this, it was the entry that came totally out of Left Field that virtually almost none of us had expected would be out so quickly, topping what many had originally presumed to win, that being Cybernetic Outbreak '15, which was still good in its own right.

The Presumptive Nominee or Victory might not be the same as the Actual Nominee/Victory, that is what I have come to learn in both politics and award shows since I was first exposed to them in 2000, and that might also apply this year as well.
    We don't know what to expect from this contest, all that I hope is that it will be a fun and surprising memory, when it comes to the entries; XIII was clear proof of that, I hope that XIV will be the same as well or better, that is what it truly comes down to in the end and I am happy to admit that, as ridiculous as this thread has become aside. :)

18. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

No. Please no. All this shit is ridiculous, and so factually inaccurate. Can we like, stop throwing bullshit and fellating each other and get to actual discussion that is worth anyone's time? I just can't believe that most of this discussion happening is either Royameadow vs the forums (and rightly so. You, Roya, make no sense and just spew bullshit that is not factual or is outright ridiculously stupid and wrong.), or the forum games. Do we really not have better use for our time? I mean guess not, given the intelligence portrayed through the posts. This is why I never post shit here; The discussion too soon is derailed to some bullshit thats utterly meaningless and actual useful posts are never made (even though I well know many of you could contribute a lot and add some intelligence into the mix).

I'll be taking my royal spanking now, thank you. and if you think my post is pointless and doesn't contribute anything, just look above me. Most are more pointless and dumb, so in comparison I am actually saying something. Am I right or am I right?

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I think we need a timeout break.

We'll close the thread for now so y'all can get your bearings back into to place. And once we've all recomposed ourselfs, we'll proceed further.

------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, threads back open now.

Keep it clean...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    HackGame, Misinko, LuigiXHero and 4 others like this.
  20. InTheZone

InTheZone Well-Known Member Exiled

I'm surprised no one asked this question before but can you submit the entry you submitted last year without any changes?