Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

A recreation of Sonic Advance's special stage really shouldn't have much lag at all. All you would really need to do is have the art for the main stage animated and put it onto Plane A, with the star background being on Plane B. Then, you'd just need a custom player object that could freely move around, a way to handle objects coming towards you, etc etc, and you should be good to go. It's nothing fancy, really.

Well, the problem with the example you listed is that Sonic CD's special stages on the SEGA CD use the special on-board ASIC graphic processor to create a 3D effect. The tech demo of a port to the Mega Drive doesn't have that luxury, so it's obviously going to be slower.

2. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    I literall do not understand the need to go "3D" like in Sonic CD. Sonic Advance is no technical marvel, that includes the special stage. The Sonic 2 special stages with a tiny bit of modification could work just as great. All one would have to do is change the behavior of the Sonic object, then obviously art changes.

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

I got bored, and I hacked Sonic 1 on the Master System. I've added the autoscroll to almost every level, some I decided not to add the autoscroll to since it'd probably cause some issues. (GHZ2 has a bit of issues, but it's playable.) And since the autoscroll makes it difficult to collect the chaos emeralds I went ahead and added the chaos emeralds to the bonus stages. I most likely won't fix bugs, since it's a mini-hack. :p
    https://www.mediafire.com/?urrrc3j2p7zht5u

DanielHall, LordXernom and FireRat like this.
  4. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

LordXernom likes this.
  5. KendyYT

KendyYT Newcomer Trialist

6. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

You need to work on... well everything besides palettes I suppose. Ring placement is wonky, the layout wasn't invigorating, enemy placement seems alright but occasionally dives into the realm of laziness, and the entire thing reeks of a lack of polish. I'd recommend really work on this thing, and iron out the kinks you have with your first level before you show us anything else you've done with the hack.

As a side note, the edits you've made to Sonic's sprite are ugly and glaring. Stick with Sonic 3's default set if you're going to use it.

7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Here are my thoughts:
    -There is actually already a hack called Robotnik's Revenge which is a boss rush of boss from Sonic 1 and 2. You should probably choose a different name.
    -The Sonic 3 sprites look really strange. The walking frames look similar to the ones in Sonic 1: Back in Time. You should just convert the sprites from Sonic 3 instead of doing what ever you did (I'm guessing you used the Sonic Hacking Studio).
    -The game gets an error in the middle of the level. Try finding the source of it and fixing it.
    -There is a signpost in the middle of the level which makes it broken. Either move the signpost or where the level ends.
    -One of the yellow vertical springs doesn't bounce Sonic. This is likely an error from using the wrong subtype.
    -The palette seems standard. Blue Hill Zones are way too common.
    -The level design is not bad although the original level design appears not far into the stage.
    -There is a death pit at the beginning of the stage that is really easy to run into

It's a good start but you should work on it more before you release it.

8. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Incredible. Once again I see that you have a hack named after someone elses work... KendyYT can you please be more original? I am quite pissed off when it comes to this. Your first hack that you PM'd me was called Sonic Return to south island. Then now Robotniks Revenge? Do you not have any shame at all? What a ripoff.

To prove my point.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Soldaten likes this.
  9. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

He may have not known those hacks existed at the time.

edit: fuck i thought this was the screenshot thread

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  10. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

I didn't passed first act of this hack, because of bottomless pit and dick level design. Tile edit is ok for me, palette is also ok. Overall I can only describe this hack as something random to play.

This hack is awful for me and I'll explain why. The object placement is joke. This is totally random bad placed rings, solid walls and it makes gameplay more annoying. Level layout is also random in a bad way. It doesn't have purpose or interesting level design - check Linear Design Zone from my Sonic 1: Return To Homeland hack, it insults stuff like this. :D Palette is ok for me, I like colors. Music... Meh, how many hack will use Endless Mine music for fuck sake?! I'm tired of this and it's lazy for me and not interesting - try search more unique song or something that nobody did it before. Overall, try again. I don't see any potential in this project and is also random to play. And I'm sorry if I was too rude, but dude - you should see that object placement is wrong in all aspects and it's not the stuff that we're praise. ;)

EDIT: I forgot to add something, this hack has broken sing post and I was stuck in act 1 until time over. So... I wasted my time for this hack...

11. KendyYT

Wow thats alot i know my hack is a joke sorry its my first i will try to work on a more non-jackass hack i might just make this a troll hack and make a better quality one thanks for the feedback :)

12. KendyYT

Yea I Know Its Bad My First One Was A Bit Better Ima Make This A Troll Hack And Make A better one thanks for the feedback! ;)

13. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Improve your grammar, and don't unnecessarily multi-post. We're not asking much here, so please don't make the staff need to step in.

Soldaten likes this.
  14. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

I feel that there has been something major missing in our lives. In fact it's so important that it's more important then life itself.

I'm talking about is Steak, of course Steak. Steak is what everybody in the world strives to have even a single lick of it's deliciousness...

So with the lack of Steak here I decided that I must fix our mortal flaw.

Presenting... Sonic 1 with Steak:

Download

This mouth watering hack is sure to delight!

Screenshot (i'd prefer it if you don't look at this though, but it doesn't matter much):
    [​IMG]

Read after playing:
    Yes I made this because of SuperEgg hence the honking at the Sega Screen, I made this when I was extremely bored so expect palette issues
    Also I don't really want to mess with the special stage so just think of the steak there as Chaos Steaks.
    Also GHZ palette is due to me grabbing any ol' disasm and it just had it so I thought eh why not.

Crimson Neo and SuperEgg like this.
  15. Narcologer

Narcologer Hell angel Member

I am very fond of meat, so this hack was really tasty for me. But it would be better if you replaced Chaos Emeralds with something related to food (Chaos ketchup, for example).

16. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    HackGame, ArcaniaCQ, Misinko and 3 others like this.
  17. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

i think

we might be taking this too far

18. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

You can never have too much fun. Especially when you're zooming.

ArcaniaCQ, Misinko and Devon like this.
  19. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

For wanting to join in the fun, you aren't very fun.

20. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

(Crosspost from Retro)
    Since everybody is hyped like crazy for Mania (as I am too) I decided to see if I could recreate the Drop Dash and well yeah here:

Sonic 1: Drop Edition

Out of boredom I made a new GHZ palette and made a Buoy Base Galaxy SMPS port. (Because the whole Drop dat Buoy Base and the Drop Dash... I'm not funny)

Controls:

While midair (have to be in a ball) Press and hold a jump button, when you land you will launch forward as if you did a level 1 spindash.

While midair (have to be in a ball) Press and hold a jump button and down, when you land you will be put into a spindash and you can charge it up as you like.

Painto and jubbalub like this.