Ashuro help thread

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Ashuro, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hi!
    I have created a thread because after a research, i have don't find the solution.

So i have doing this guide: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=33475 without errors.

But now, i don't know how can i load my extra character to play with.

In fact i want to find a way to choose between Sonic or my extra character.
    And in the tutorial, i notice that there is not flags for characters...

I'm lost, someone can clarify this?

My desire is to create a start menu with "Sonic" and "Extracharacter" for choose, like the start mennu of Sonic & Knuckles. But first i want to know how can i load my extra character to see if it loads.

2. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

Did you even read that guide? It clearly says about searching for RAM
    Specifically

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.
  3. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

It's not actually recommended to use that guide at all, due it to being really hackish.

I recommend looking at how Sonic 2 and 3k did it. By making your other characters their own objects.

4. Ashuro

Okay i have found the solution here: http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Add_Extra_Characters

I have changed the $FFFFFFFE to $FFFFFFF9, and put this routine into LoadSonicDynPLC, LoadPlayerPalettes, Obj01_Main and Sonic_Animate...

So when i push B at the title screen, it loads my character. But NOW, my new problem is, the title cards, the score, the rings and objects using the Sonic's palette are ALL BLACK:
    problem.png

5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

He's using Natsumis' guide, which actually adds a new character object with palettes and what not. The guide even mentions the old art swap one as being inferior in its' description.

6. Ashuro

And can you help me or not? :(

7. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

LOL

No, I think you are mistaken. Sure, it never mentions adding new player objects. Why you may ask? Its a god damn buttload of work. If my target audience is people who were willing to give that much extra work on top of what already exists, they would likely be able to figure out most of this stuff out anyways. And modifying the existing player already works beautifully well as-is. Even S3K had some of this "hackish" code as part of its player-related routines, especially when it came to Tails' height, so its not like this is a massive deviation from what they did in the end.

Now for the actual question. I did not specify exactly how you would choose a different character, but for someone following the code, I expect them to be able to figure this out very easily. If you can not spend some time using your brains to compute this, then you are not worthy of the tutorial.

EDIT: I forgot I clearly state everything you need to do to swap character in the guide. If you can just pick up on what I say it should be fucking obvious on what you would do.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    FireRat likes this.
  8. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Don't nag users for help just because they posted in the topic. It's rude. Besides, he was already helping. Just because it didn't immediately fix your problem is irrelevant.

Pacca, AURORA☆FIELDS and Soldaten like this.
  9. Ashuro

Sorry again..

You can close if you want, i'll find my own solution.

10. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

I actually somehow missed his first post and I only saw the link to the horrible retro guide. My bad. Sorry natsumi.

AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.
  11. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

The palette is black because no the palette isn't being loaded make sure you added the new palette into _inc/pallet pointers and that the correct palette number is loaded. Basically, just make sure you didn't miss anything when doing the palette section of the tutorial.

Edit: I used the Sonic 2 method to add two characters and it didn't take long for me at all. All you have to do is copy Sonic's object into a file, use the replace option to change all the labels, and choose what the character will have it's own routine of and what it will share with Sonic. Then you just added it back to your hack, change the art and stuff, add a way to choose your character, fix things you overlooked, and you're done. I like that it's less complicated and allows for more freedom when editing and it isn't as hard for the game to deal with.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  12. Ashuro

This is exactly that i am doing right now,and it's working perfectly!

I have to make a title screen menu, and know how can i load a different life icon and "SONIC HAS PASSED" title card for each characters.

13. Ashuro

Hi! I have already explained my problem here: http://sonicresearch.org/community/...s-and-answers-thread.1155/page-192#post-67977

I'm sorry to make another thread for this but i want to show you this problem.
    I want to know if it's a pattern load cues problem, or a VRAM problem (or other).
    I have checked in my _maps, _inc, artnem and _anim folders, to look at the motobug and lamppost art, mappings and animations, and everything is right.
    I want to say that the "SONIC HAS PASSED" title card of the Green Hill's act 2 have the same problem. (not the act 1's or act 3's title card).

14. Dragon Wolf Leo

Dragon Wolf Leo Wha- I'm not doing ANYTHING! Member

To my knowledge, this isn't a pattern load cues or VRAM problem. It looks like it's displaying bad mappings.

MarkeyJester likes this.
  15. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I'm just gonna merge these threads together. We don't need the forum cluttering with a thread for each problem you have.

16. Ashuro

"Ashuro Help Thread" :D Omg lol

Thanks!

Mappings (and animations) are clean, nothing is wrong. I have also copy/paste the motobug.bin, obj40.asm maps and obj40.asm anima files into my hack and it's the same.

EDIT: i have checked again and theres nothing wrong into their files.
    EDIT2: Mappings ok. Good mappings loaded.
    Same problem.

I will restart from the beginning... :'(

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  17. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

Maybe the code of the object itself is wrong? Like using wrong animation or something like this.

MarkeyJester likes this.
  18. Ashuro

I have copy/paste the original code from a clean sonic1.asm to my hack, and it's the same.

Copy/paste the motobug mappings, art, pattern and animations files from clean disassembly to my hack: same too. :(

19. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

20. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

I remember getting a similar issue time ago after following a tutorial related to the mappings system.
    Have you done any changes to sprite/animation processing routines?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.