Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Painto

Painto Arthurus Paintus Erinaceus Member

You need to make a chunk (or more if needed) where part of the wall won't have any collision on it and there will be collision inside it to act as floor and ceiling. This is an example of how it's done by MZ:
    [​IMG]

ProjectFM likes this.
  2. Baraksha

Baraksha Well-Known Member Member

first off, thank you for moving my post over here, sorry for not realizing there was a basic questions thread.

second, I kind of noticed that myself, I pressed something in SonED2 and it showed me all the collision areas marked with F's kind of like your example. just one question. how do I add and remove the collisions?

3. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

There are several steps to setting up collision: there's a setting (or two, in S2/S3K) in each block within a chunk that determines from which directions that block is considered solid, there's a setting (or two, in S2/S3K) attached to each block (outside of the chunk) that determines which collision map to use with the block, and there's the collision maps themselves. To remove collision, simply set the blocks within the chunk to "Not Solid". To add collision, make sure an appropriate collision map is assigned to the blocks and then set the blocks within the chunk to "All Solid", "Left/Right/Bottom Solid", or "Top Solid", depending on what you need.

I'm curious, why did you choose SonED2?

4. Baraksha

I am a noob who usually just massing with color palletes and sprites on SonMapEd. I though I should extand a bit and try to level design a bit. If SonED considered outdated I would like to hear what you sugest

5. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

What ram offsets are you using?
    I've had this problem once before, but was with porting super sonic.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

It may come as a surprise to you, but I prefer using the level editor I created.
    I wouldn't call SonED2 outdated, exactly. I mean, it still gets updates once in a while.

7. Baraksha

Wow, I didn't know SonED2 is still getting updates, isn't it made by Stealth who is currently helping with Sonic Mania?

Also I want to try your editor, it looks better. Also I like how you're like "yeah, this well known used program for this task is cool,but I prefer my program"

8. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

SonLVL is used just as much as SonED2 if not more so. It really is an improvement on it in every way. I was able to vastly improve the art in my hack most of SonLVL's feature to export and import levels. Just because SonED2 is made by Stealth doesn't mean it's the best thing ever.

9. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

SonED2 is really fast in the regard of being able to edit things (like art, blocks and chunks), is very smooth and it works well enough, but however lacks many awesome features in SonLVL, like support for very complex objects, custom objects, custom formats and it is way less glitchy. But SonLVL is also a lot slower in comparison, so it is pick your poison sort of deal.

Pacca and MarkeyJester like this.
  10. Baraksha

omg, this program is everything SonED2 is and more, you can even select multiple objects and even have an Undo function. it even has the oprion to set up an emulator for me so the program will build the rom and open it up automatically. I wan wondering if there was a better option but I was not able to find this anywhere.
    but guys, I got another few questions. first off, can I set sonic's starting point in the level to a different location so I can test an area without having to replay the level. and I also have a problem with solidity of the blocks. you see, I made my little hidden path. but for some reason I still got some problems
    [​IMG]
    you see, I tried to use the right types of soiled block for each wall and floor and while it mostly works I still got problems which I can't understand what's the cause. first off there is a set of R/L/B soiled blocks that doesn't seem to work in the game. second the way I enter the section is using Top soiled blocks , but for some reason every time I touch the area sonic keeps spining as if I entered a pipe. but yet there are other Top soiled blocks that seem to work fine and I can stand on them. and finally. how do I take a chunk and put it on an uper layer so sonic will look like he is behind the wall?

11. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

The first issue can be solved by dragging the Sonic sprite at the start of the level to where ever you want him to spawn. I have no clue how to solve the second.

12. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

There's a problem with that, regarding the older disassemblies, whose player start positions are unsplit from the game's code. Typically, that means the level editor can't edit, or even display, them. This isn't a problem with the Git disassemblies, but I'm pretty sure at least the Xenowhirl S2 disassembly has this issue.

13. Baraksha

tried that, didn't work for some reason

and I am using the Git disassembly

Staff edit: Merged double post

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2016
  14. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

The 2nd issue is due to the whole spintube chunk is set to make sonic roll. You either need to replace the chunk there with a different one, or make a new chunk for above the spintube that does the collision.

15. Baraksha

oh , I see. I don't want to sound picky, but isn't there a way to set certain blocks on the chunk to not make me roll? kind of like how I can set certain blocks to be soiled or not?. because what would I have done if I were in a situation where the chunk was to high to jump above? then I would'nt be able to make the entrance to the area without the spin unless I would have put a platform or something there.

16. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Hate to change the subject, but I'd suggest giving the rules a once-over again. Double posting is explicitly mentioned, and the lack basic capitalisation only makes your posts harder to read.

17. AURORA☆FIELDS

The game checks if Sonic is inside a chunk with specific ID. If so, Sonic is forced to roll. You can avoid this behavior by placing collision just at the top of the slope (top row), so Sonic can not go inside this chunk, or any other chunk that makes Sonic roll. As for that image where Sonic is inside a block, this is caused by that spring. Its collision is pushing Sonic towards the wall, and the spring has higher priority over the wall. if you move the spring closer to the wall, Sonic can not clip inside the wall from the spring's collision.

โบวี่ likes this.
  18. Baraksha

yeah, I should have though of that from the begining , sorry

yea, i though that was the problem before, so I decided to test it by removing the spring. and it still didn't work

19. AURORA☆FIELDS

Oh, you know what it could be? Check the collision index of the block. If it says 00, this is the reason why. 00 has no collision height set, so even if you make it solid, it actually wont be. You can fix this by changing it to FF, which has full collision height and collision angle of 0 (which means its upright). You can see the collision index with the block editor in SonLVL after you pick the block.

20. Baraksha

Hey, it worked, I though I already set that block to FF but I guess I didn't noticed. thanks. ok, I really need to go to bed now, i'll continue asking tomorrow when I have the time. until then you can try and find more answers to my other questions.