Official unofficial update on the rules

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Clownacy, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Ever since the move to XenForo, the rule against quoting the post directly above has become pretty meaningless. While IPB would display the entire quoted post, which in the worst cases would take up several lengths of your screen, XenForo reduces the post to a small convenient box. Because of this, most, if not all, of the Staff have been turning a blind eye to reports on unnecessary quoting. For now, I suppose it's best to assume the rule's no longer in effect.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    FireRat, LordXernom, Soldaten and 3 others like this.
  2. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Thank God.

3. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Yeah, on XF the rule is kinda pointless thanks to it using collapsed quote boxes. So, it can be ignored. I'll update the rules as part of the forum upgrade that will occur sometime over the weekend.

4. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

About time that this would become a reality, I've been waiting on this rule change for years, given how most other forums didn't have it to begin with.
    Select gaming forums that still use IPB, especially The NHL '94 Forum, much to my shock and surprise, did not have the quoting rule in play, more or less because of the fact that the members on there usually don't quote the whole post from somebody, even nowadays.

What I want to know, however, is this: Now, I, similar to most people that have upgraded to a Widescreen Monitor, haven't truly had to worry about quotes taking up much space on the screen, even when we were still using IPB normally.
    I presume that the quoting rule was in effect for so many years more or less because of the fact that people were using monitors that had displayed strictly in 04:03/08:07/01:01 (Square Image), which would make the page appear longer vertically than in Widescreen, or was there another reason for this at the time of its original inception?

5. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

I think quoting people redundantly, to not say much relating to the post or especially when the reply is tantamount to "I agree with this" should still be not okay, but to incite actual discussion or make meaningful commentary, I think quoting posts above even with IPB would have been fine, given that you pick only part of the post and make it reasonable length.

nineko and Royameadow like this.
  6. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

That's what a lot of people did too, specifically when they wanted to highlight, or argue against, a specific point.

7. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I like this update especially because of a feature from XenForo; you get a notification when someone quotes you. In other cases you have to painstakingly look for replies to you in name manually.

8. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Editing the rules on XF is a damn sight more convoluted than on IPB. Anyway, I've removed the quoting the post directly above stuff.