Sonic Hacking Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Mar 23, 2016.

1. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Erm, I guess so. I don't see anything in the rules about it, but my question to you would be why you would even do that. Hacks improve (for the most part) every year, so if your hack got the needed exposure and criticism last year, why do you need it again this year for the exact same thing?
    If anything, I think you'd just get called lazy for submitting the exact same hack again.

HackGame, Painto, M.N.K. and 2 others like this.
  2. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    You can submit the entry you did last year with no changes. However, that doesn't exactly look good on you, and will probably result in a lot of thrashing by the judges and the media. Definitely not recommended to try that.

LuigiXHero likes this.
  3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

So, I'm still not going to get that multiplayer trophy (I've had no time to make edits to Sonic Bash) =P

4. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Still waiting for my steak. When I get it, we'll talk =V

redhotsonic, Devon and Soldaten like this.
  5. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

6. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    You've won the contest. It's done. Everybody go home.

7. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

8. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

Wow, what a terrible trophy! I am steaked.

HackGame likes this.
  9. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

The real issue here is whether or not that trophy is edible.

NiphFM and HackGame like this.
  10. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

When will the site go up for sending submissions? Sorry if I sound impatient but I am really wondering...

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I happen to have some work done on 2 hacks soon.

11. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

The responsibility for the site falls on @Cinossu so he is the only one who can provide any updates for the site.

I have said privately that I'd like the site to be up by September 11th to provide a one month window for submissions as this year there won't be any time extensions. I don't want to have to constantly delay the contest like last year.

If he can't work on a new site as he originally intended to then that's fine, the old site should work with a few modifications.

FireRat likes this.
  12. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

[​IMG]

As you may be aware, we have the Contest Week taking place this year from Monday 7th to Sunday 13th November. There are opportunities for everyone to take part in the Contest Week - it isn't a closed door environment. So as a result we are looking for people who could provide additional streams, site reviews, hacking workshops and much more. If you have something you can do during the week we want to know so you can do it. In the past people have done things such as music workshops and level design seminars among other things. You don't need to submit a hack to be part of the Contest Week!

To be a part of the Contest Week with whatever you are interested in doing please contact a judge [/i](preferably myself or SuperEgg as we are more hands on with the contest week)[/i] with full details and examples (videos, links etc) of previous work.

Streams can be done at any time including when other streams are on, you just need to let us know what times they'll be on and where they will be at.

Providing streams does not make you part of the Media Panel unless you have been specifically asked to be a part of it.

Hack Submissions Note
    A reminder that we intend to open submissions on Sunday 11th September, allowing a one month window to get your initial submission in – remember that there will be a further updates deadline. Deadlines are Sunday 9th October 2016 for submissions and Sunday 16th October 2016 for updates. Judging will commence after the update deadline and judges have been given ample time to get through all submissions. Details of submitting to the contest will be made available on Sunday 11th September.

We have given notice since March this year that this contest will take place, we don’t announce events on a whim and do things last minute here, people have had plenty of time to get work done so if you've been working on a submission for months, even years, then the opportunity to enter is shortly approaching. Or if you want to submit something mashed out in such short time then feel free, after all people have won trophies through that. Everyone is welcome to submit as long as you meet the criteria.

13. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Serious question. SuperEgg and yourself are already aware that I wanted to do some streaming and SuperEgg mentioned in the planning forum that I was now part of the panel. Do you still need me to send an e-mail to the address provided with examples or am I already set?

14. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

You should be fine, SuperEgg can answer this for himself though. I don't have an issue with this.

15. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

If I had the time I could do a live updated basic hacking guide on Sonic 1. But I honestly don't think I would be able to do it, at least not this year. Same goes for my hack.

16. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Just wondering, are those "teams" like "me on SSRG + me on Retro" still allowed?

Or is there a different solution, like assigning a hack to creator's both SR and SSRG to a hack?

17. Pineapple Arse

Pineapple Arse I ironically hate cold temperatures. Member

So in order to submit to the contest, what is the criteria to do so anyways?

18. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

it says on the first post ffs

MaximumHack, HackGame, nineko and 2 others like this.
  19. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

This. Honestly, that's always bugged me, and I swear I've heard the media guys refer to single-person teams as, well, teams. It's just misleading.

20. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

Well, "Team Valley Bell" definitely happened last year. :p
    And I remember being referred to as "team" a few times in the streams. (Maybe making a "team" to link the Retro and SSRG accounts was a stupid idea.)

HackGame likes this.