Sonic 1 JW Advance (Public Release 2 Working Progress) (Sonic Hack)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Joshwoakes, Aug 24, 2016.

?

What would you like to see changed or added in the next release of this hack?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2016.
  1. More level layout changes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Day to night cycle for GHZ and MZ

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. missions and challenges system

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Edited bosses with pinch modes

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  5. Classic Mode Feature

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. New moves

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

Here I am back releasing another sonic hack. Now this hack i'm releasing is a project that I have been slowly working on along side unfair sonic one and two and Sonic 1 DLCM. Now this hack is still a working progress and is in early beta stage, yes I know releasing a sonic hack when it's in early beta stage isn't good idea but I wanted to showcase this hack and the work that has been on it so far to see what people think about the idea of this hack.

Anyway, Sonic 1 JW Advance is an advanced adventure based hack of sonic 1 that is designed to be like a 2D sonic adventure in the style of sonic 1 with a few sonic 2 elements.

List of features and changes this hack has:
    • A hub world system based on the "hub world per zone" that can be seen in sonic advance 3
    • Music changes - The music will change depending if your in the main levels or the hub worlds (2 different tracks per zone, one is an unedited version with all sound channels enabled and the other is an edited version with some sound channels disabled)
    • Shield stacking - you can increase the amount of hits the standard sonic 1 shield can take by hitting shield monitors when the shield is already activated (this only works in one level at time. once you leave the level that you used the shield stacking on then the shield stacking will reset and your shield will be removed as normally would in the original sonic one however this may change later on in the future.)
    • Sonic 2 sprites (rough experimental port of sonic 2 sprites. may not be in later builds)
    • Small object placement and level layout changes
    • Edited title cards
    • HUD adjustments - the HUD display changes depending if your in the main levels or in the hub worlds
    Planned features for this hack:
    • Missions and challenges system for unlocking new moves (e.g spindash, peel out, jump dash etc.)
    • A day to night cycle (GHZ and MZ only)
    • A ranking system (for missions and challenges)
    • Boss fight pinch modes
    • Classic Mode - for people who wish play the game without hub worlds or missions and challenges
    • Save Game Feature - to save your progress and continue for where you left after exiting the game or after getting a game over
    • Extra characters - tails and knuckles as playable characters

Known Bugs\Glitches\Issues:
    • Some of sonic's sprites and animations are broken due my rough port of the sonic 2 sprites (however the sonic 2 sprites may not be in the final build of the game)
    • The shield stacking sometimes breaks or doesn't reset properly after leaving the level it was used on.
    • The game currently errors out\crashes in MD.emu
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gameplay Video (Hidden in Spoiler):

Current hack version: V0.08 (Sandbox beta) - (Early Beta)
    Download Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/xtg1ijg1gv5tzr6/S1JWA_V0.08_Release1(SANDBOX-BETA).bin

Credits:
    Special thanks to KosmoF for helping with beta testing.

And as I always say, feel free to let me know what you think, what your opinions are and if there is any suggestions you may have.

Edit: Made this post smaller by using spoiler tags
    Edit2: Updated "Known bugs\glitches" list

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Painto likes this.
  2. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I tried running this in MD.emu and got this error. It appeared after pressing start on the modded level select screen. This is completely unplayable for me on mobile as a result :I

3. Joshwoakes

@Pacguy Oh dear... Thanks for pointing that out. I may have an idea of what might be causing that error to occur and i will try to fix the issue.

4. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

In my honest opinion, I think you released this a little too early.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the ideas you have in store and the progress so far is alright (even if there are very noticeable bugs to work out). It's just that... I dunno. This doesn't really hold my interest as of yet, if that makes sense. The only radically different thing about it is the fact that it has a hub world, which isn't much.

Once again, just my opinion. You can do whatever you want since it is your hack, after all.

5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I decided to give this a try.

• First off, before I even really started playing, I noticed this:
    [​IMG]

I think this has to do with Sonics art limit, but it's been awhile since I worked with Sonic 1. If you're desperate for a fix, there's a guide or two that allow you to increase his art limit (apologies if you've already tried that :I).

• Also, Sonics palette is just off putting. He looks like he's almost completely black, and it just makes no sense to me, especially given the vibrant colors the levels have.
    • The shield stacking feature sounds really cool, but I wasn't able to test it because Sonic 1 has very few shield monitors. I was looking forward to that :(
    • There's no Spindash, or any moves at all. Not necessarily a bad thing, it doesn't need to be added, but its' more obvious, given the incredible lack of other content.

Overall, I'm gonna have to side with TSB here. I really tried to find something of merit, but this is just Sonic 1 with some neat things thrown in. Not bad, but not really worth the time if you've already played to original. And after reading the planned features... I personally would've kept working on it before a release. Keep working on it though, this has potential.

Joshwoakes likes this.
  6. KosmoF

KosmoF Masochistic epileptic FEMALE gamer! Member

GH1 = 1 shield, GH2 = 3 shields, MZ1 = 1 or 2 shield(s), and MZ2 = 1 or 2 shield(s)

7. RainLancelot

RainLancelot Newcomer Member

I got a error when I tried playing this game.This really was unplayable for me...is there anyway to fix it?

8. Joshwoakes

@Young Link What emulator are you using?, because if your using the MD.emu emulator for mobile then that error will appear as I tested this out after Pacguy reported the issue so I am aware that there is a issue with running the game in that emulator.

9. RainLancelot

What other emulator can I use on mobile devices?

10. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

gGens. Literally, just look up "Genesis Emulators" on Google Play.

11. RainLancelot

It doesn't work...

12. RainLancelot

I just hope it will be restored in the MD.Emu app on mobile.Its the only thing I used.

13. Joshwoakes

gGens is an MD.emu based emulator so it won't work.

14. RainLancelot

Will it be fixed in an update?

15. Joshwoakes

@Young Link Yes, It will be fixed in the next update, well that's if can find the source of the issue. like i said before when I responded to Pacguy after he reported the issue I have an idea to what maybe causing that error occur but i need verify that i'm correct about what might be causing the error and find a work around for that error because at this point, I might have to disable the hub world(s) music (bass and percussion tracks for each zone) temporarily.

16. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

I found a glitch while in Marble Zone, I haven't have time to recreate it though but I'll try again later. What I think that caused the glitch was this: So basically I fell in lava which caused me to drop my rings. I then went to go back (with zero rings) to collect my rings that are now in the lava, so I jumped in and I grab the rings. I took damage at approximately the same time I grabbed them, meaning I was a lucky bastard. Although what happened next is that whenever I should be taking damage from anything, it just pushes me back like I got hurt but I didn't lose my rings. My rings wouldn't drop out at all no matter how many times I tried to die, and when I got a shield, it wouldn't disappear when taking damage. I was on my last life as well if that is anything of importance.

17. RainLancelot

Thank you.I appreciate it for the help.

18. Joshwoakes

@Ozaleto
    The glitch you found is mostly likely a shield stacking feature bug. referring back to the top post
    And this bug is listed in the "Known Glitches\Bugs\Issues" list hidden in a spoiler tag on the top post as well meaning that I am aware that this bug can occur.
    The only way you can tell if this bug has been triggered is if sonic continuously does not drop his rings when he gets hit or if the shield does not deactivate after the number times you have hit a shield monitor.

Anyway, I have worked what the problem is it's a bug which is just a simple coding error that seems occur at level load up after entering another level after using shield stacking on the previous level you were in. so this bug will fixed in the update. so thanks for pointing this out even know i was already aware of the that bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.