Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Oh man you should use Kega, Regen, or Exodus. I prefer Regen since it runs the fastest on my computer, and it works close to the actual hardware (so is Exodus but if you don't have a fast computer it will run pretty slow).. or if you want to stick with gens use Gens 11/GS as it is a lot better than gens+, plus gens+ is pretty outdated.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Crimson Neo and B. Comet like this.
  2. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

I hate this stupid misconception. Regen is nowhere close to how real hardware runs. Its just about good enough to be an acceptable tool for debugging, and its the best in terms of accuracy and speed, so its the best option for most people who aren't so invested into this. However some other emulators exist that are often overlooked and are actually really good. Like all the Genesis Plus GX deritive emulators; especially Bizhawk. It is far more accurate than Regen but lacks debugging features. But its also way less buggy. Exodus is the most accurate, yet at the same time least usable emulator we have. Even if it is more accurate, its buggy enough that I wouldn't even consider debugging my programs on it. Ever in a million years. The best diagnostic tools are the ones that can run on stock hardware. This is why error handlers are so popular; Anything can run an error handlers, and it makes tesing on hardware easy as all hell.

3. B. Comet

B. Comet Is fun still infinite? Member

I hate to say this, but, no one exatcly helped me. Changing my emulator will solve the red screen on my hack?

4. Pineapple Arse

Pineapple Arse I ironically hate cold temperatures. Member

It should work, but I recommend the Kega Fusion emulator. You can disable checksum in options, but that means other people will have to do the same in order to play your hack. If your editing the rom directly, use ESII to fix and/or disable checksum. If your using a split disassemble, then I don't really know how :/

5. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

fixheader is a tool that comes with the disassemblies, which will fix the checksum error (the red screen). Run the ROM through it in a command prompt. (Although, the command to run that SHOULD be in the build.bat, therefore when you go to build the ROM, fixheader is run, too)

LuigiXHero and B. Comet like this.
  6. Ziro_

Ziro_ Mentally Skewed Member

I have a question. I am using the hivebrain 2005 disassembly and I want to use 128x layouts without switching disassemblies or converting to kos. What should I do?

7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

• Look through the disassembly for the original version of Sonic Project 128 which is based on the Hivebrain 2005 disassembly.
    • Find every line marked with "; MJ:" and add these lines of code to your disassembly and replace other lines if necessary.
    • Convert your levels to work with the new format using MainMemory's Level Converter and replace Blocks.bin, Chunks.bin, Indexes1.bin, and Indexes2.bin with the files the level you are converting uses. If your levels are exactly the same as Sonic 1, then use the assets from the Project 128 disassembly instead.
    • Use a conversion tool such as KENS to decompress and then compress the new files to the compression Sonic 1 uses. I don't remember which ones are used so you're going to have to figure it out through trial and error.

8. Ziro_

Ziro_ Mentally Skewed Member

Thanks man.

9. ProjectFM

When looking through Sonic 1 Megamix 5.0's sound test, I stumbled upon Shadow's invincibility theme which turned out to be completely different than in previous versions. However, the song's information wasn't changed to fit this new piece of music so it still says that the original game it was from is Sonic 3. Does anyone know which game this song really came from?

10. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

The song is from Colums 2 I believe. Edit: Oh wait you said invincibility not super, Never mind. Trash please

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  11. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

Gunstar Heroes IIRC

Edit: I checked, i'm wrong.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  12. Baraksha

Baraksha Well-Known Member Member

I am trying to make sonic's walking animation go a bit faster, I though I could do it by decreasing the FF at the begining of it's animation script , but that for some reason causes the game to load different animations instead. I though that since the game changes the animation's speed all the time that I should try looking at sonic1.ASM but I can't seem to find anything.

13. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

The very first byte is what changes the animation speed, not the last. The last one acts as a special code; FF tells the animation to stop, and FE jumps to another animation based on the next byte, likely causing the behavior you described.

I will warn you though, the walking/running animations are very hard-coded, as they used for all rotated frames by some semi complex code. I personally avoid editing them.

14. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

I've been trying to add my new HUD into Warped World, but there wasn't enough VRAM in it's original spot, so I opened up a spot using this guide on Retro and set the value below "Nem_Hud" in "Pattern load cues.asm" from $D940 to $2850 ($10 after the SS Walls are located), but the HUD now ceases to appear on screen. Where is the fault in my reasoning? And also, after applying the guide, the R Block doesn't change the rotation of the wall blocks. (The maze still rotates perfectly fine, just those pesky wall blocks keep rotating the wrong way)

EDIT: So, my reasoning was flawed... I had to change:
    Code:
    Obj21_Main:               ; XREF: Obj21_Main
           addq.b   #2,$24(a0)
           move.w   #$90,8(a0)
           move.w   #$108,$A(a0)
           move.l   #Map_obj21,4(a0)
           move.w   #$6CA,2(a0) ; <---- This line
           move.b   #0,1(a0)
           move.b   #0,$18(a0)
    I had a look through the guide, and it turns out that it is for the VRAM in the Special Stage, making no change to in-stage VRAM... So it turns out my work is null. At least I know what to do in the future.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  15. Baraksha

ok, I was able to change the speed, however that causes the walk animation to not branch in to the runing animation when at runing speed.

16. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

...yes, he did warn you it was 'very hard-coded'.

TheInvisibleSun, Pacca and Soldaten like this.
  17. Baraksha

well, that sucks, I guess I have no choise but to use the current animation speed instead

18. ProjectFM

You shouldn't give up. Try manipulating more lines of code. Just because it requires more than one or two lines of code to be changed doesn't mean it's not possible. Testing things out and seeing what happens and figuring out why things happen is a big part of programming.

Soldaten likes this.
  19. Baraksha

That's what I was trying to do for a while now, but you're right, I guess i'll keep trying to change values until I find something

EDIT:
    so eventually I found this in Sonic_Animate:

Code:
    loc_13AC2:
            lsr.w    #8,d2
            subq.b    #1,d2 <---My edit
            move.b    d2,$1E(a0)    ; modify frame duration
            bsr.w    SAnim_Do2
            add.b    d3,$1A(a0)    ; modify frame number
            rts    
    this routine has to do with the frame duration, d2 suppose to hold sonic's speed on the ground and I though that subtracting it by would make the frame last shorter and it worked. every animation for walking and runing seem to be speed up a bit. how ever I wish I could do this for specific speeds and not all of them, but I guess this is fine.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  20. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hi! It's been a while!

I have a little question, i looked under "Resize_GHZ", lvl_size.bin but it looks like I'm in the wrong place, and I do not find.

the problem is here: screen.png

When you hit a signpost, Sonic run to thr right and disapear behind the screen.
    what, or where is the routine that manage this bleu square?? Because i want to delete the red space, and make sonic be blocked by the screen limit (like in Sonic 3).