Sonic Hacking Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Mar 23, 2016.

1. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

You click and hold down your left mouse button and drag it. A trash can will appear so just drop it in there.

2. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Alright. Thank you LuigiXHero! On a side note tho. I wish everyone who is entering good luck.

3. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

TIME IS RUNNING OUT TO SUBMIT!

In order to enter the contest, you must submit a playable entry by Sunday 9th October.

Remember that there is a further week for updates to be made - all updates must be made by the deadline of Sunday 16th October. Those marked as Incomplete at this deadline will not be considered for the contest.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  4. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I forgot about the week for updates. That really takes off a lot of pressure.

5. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

You can still edit your entry fully, right? I may want to revise the description still

6. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Yes, up to the updates deadline of Sunday 16th October. You just must have a playable entry by Sunday 9th October.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

I am excited which awesome hacks will hit this contest. I hope one is a awesome-blowmind hack like Sonic 1: The Next Level or Sonic 4: Cybernetic Outbreak.

SaunicBoom likes this.
  8. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

I have a stupid question: If I submit an unplayable ROM by 9th, but I am sure to fix the great issue on-time before 16th, is it "accepted"? As if are the prototype hacks judged as well? or only the latest? (I mean, I don't encourage anyone to cheat like this, but if things are getting critical, it's a good Plan B).

9. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

FireRat and Soldaten like this.
  10. SteamPoweredPixel

SteamPoweredPixel Newcomer Member

I have an issue/suggestion. Can somebody consider adding an extra rule that states that any hack that uses unoriginal music MUST name the music and its origin in the hack description. So many many times have I and others heard music in a hack and wanted to know where it came from.

Pacca likes this.
  11. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

I don't really think that needs to be a rule... I mean, sure, it'd be handy, but forcing people to do it seems a bit extreme.

HackGame likes this.
  12. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Any consideration like that would not be applicable for this year, and I'm not seeing a massive benefit to having to check and make sure that every hack submitted has a correct listing of all its music and its sources and disqualifying if there's errors. Doesn't really make sense as a rule. A friendly suggestion to authors, sure, but the contest staff have better things to do with their time than enforce a pretty petty rule on music listings.

13. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

It seems like such a rule would be better if it was made broader. Just have it encompass crediting in general. For example: "All hack submissions should credit everyone who contributed, via guides/chat/etc. as well as give a short description of what they did"

For example, my hack submission credits currently look like this:

If someone wants to, say, get a sample of the music, or wants to find a guide used in the hack, they can reference the credits and use that to help find what they want. Also, it's just a good thing to do, especially if you're mostly making the hack on your own and aren't in a team.

14. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

Also, there is a comment section on each and every hack's entry page. Doesn't hurt to ask where it came from!

15. LazloPsylus

Academy City
    Um, I don't think you caught the point, Pacguy. Enforcing such a rule just for music credits alone would be ridiculous, much less broadening it to all credits. That's a lot of ridiculous extra effort for the judges to have to enforce, and really for something marginal. We've been doing quite fine just enforcing investigation and punishment of theft when reported, and that's headache enough as it is.

16. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Fair enough, I see where you're coming from. I was suggesting just making it mandatory to be there, it doesn't really need to be checked. You guys have a lot to do as is, though, so the less arbitrary shit you have to do, the better the contest will be :)

17. LazloPsylus

Academy City
    Yeah, I'm all for it as a sort of "recommended best practices" sort of deal for entries. I do like to see credit given where credit is due, and I know most everyone else does as well. It's just that implementing it as a rule is more complicated and requires enforcement and all sorts of other mess that just makes our jobs more frustrating. Frustration is something we'd rather like to minimize, understandably.

18. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

The contest is about to start. Unless something huge happens, there will be no changes to the rules this year.

Of course, this can change... but it probably won't. The music idea will certainly be taken into consideration. Thanks for the suggestions!

HackGame and ArcaniaCQ like this.
  19. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

My question seems to have been missed as I've not seen an answer yet:

ArcaniaCQ and pixelcat like this.
  20. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Also I'd like to know a time zone.