How to make simple backgrounds with SonLvL

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by Pineapple Arse, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Pineapple Arse

Pineapple Arse I ironically hate cold temperatures. Member

Ok today we are going to talk about how to make simple background edits with SonLvl. I'll be using Sonic 1.
    First, you will need to pick a background chunk.

tutorial 1.png
    After that, rightclick part of the background to edit with. I recommend a piece that doesn't mess with the sky part of the background . Tutorial 2.png
    Now, just edit it however you want. I used the GHZ pattern with minor changes so it looks smaller and nicer Tutorial 3.png
    Ok. We made a new piece for the background. For this tutorial, ill just make make this simple and spread out like this. In order to remove unwanted background parts, I just used the blank sky pieces and spread it on other
    background pieces. For more detail, I used GHZ grass pieces and put it across the wall. To make it look like its touching the water, just edit it with GHZ background pieces you made. Tutorial 4.png
    Since this is a tutorial, I just copied and pasted the new chunk on the other GHZ background chunks. After that, Build and run the rom. Tutorial 6.png
    Success!!! The new background looks great!!. Warning. If you are editing the GHZ background, it will effect the title screen background. If you don't want that to happen, I recommend going to Sonic Retro, and read this tutorial:http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Separate_title_art_from_GHZ/make_GHZ_load_alternate_art
    Well I hoped this helped and the only limit is your imagination and background palates!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  2. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

to be honest, a default background looks better than this kind of background.

Bluestreak, HackGame and LordXernom like this.
  3. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

Well, at least this teaches you how to tile edit in SonLVL. I can see the tutorial being useful, in a way. The guy may be inexperienced artistic-wise, but hey, the important thing is that we learn what he wants to teach us. Apparently, I can see how things are done there very clearly, and that's what matters the most.

4. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

While this is true, I saw people just doing a background like this, with no effort to make it a little bit nicer.
    I think it should have been more clear that this is an example background and you should take more time to make your own.

5. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Isn't that what this line is for?