MD Music Player (+ scriptable SMPS2ASM)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by AURORA☆FIELDS, Feb 20, 2016.

1. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

So, here is something I've been working on just for fun for quite a while. It essentially is a SMPS player, but you can put mutiple sound drivers in it, as well as over 16000 music files. There are 4 pre-installed sound drivers with full SMPS2ASM support, as well as the application itself, tailored for this player. Download here. If you have any suggestions or feedback, let me know. But please, before calling me incompetent twat, please read the documentation! Also for anyone interested, I have the project in Github, as well as smps2asm.
    Oh also, big thanks for ValleyBell for SMPS research pack as well as helping me understand few things here and there, and Bakayote for the font used.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Ashuro, FATA-, Jdpense and 11 others like this.
  2. AURORA☆FIELDS

So, I am here to bring you a huge update to SMPS2ASM and MDMusicPlayer! A lot has been done, especially with SMPS2ASM, to improve user experience and bring in a lot more features. So here, in no particular order, is the changes done:
    The link in the original post has been updated, and you can download the first release here.
    There may still be some odd bugs introduced by the changes. If you do find any, please report them!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    FireRat likes this.
  3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

"Fake DMA feature, allows to check sound quality degredation under different loads"

I know I no longer have much of a use for that (Jester Stream Technology for the win! /plugin), but that is a bloody brilliant idea!! Considering a lot of emulators don't bother, that is a absolute cool addition right there, if I were to make any sort of music making tool, that would be one feature I totally never would have thought of...

I am also rather shocked that no-one's really replied yet, actually...

FохConED likes this.
  4. Ziro_

Ziro_ Mentally Skewed Member

By any chance could this be ported into sonic 1 and become its own routine to play multiple types of smps?

5. AURORA☆FIELDS

Not without major customization of the driver and the game. Your best bet is to use it to port SMPS to target driver type from any other SMPS or compatible driver.

6. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Yeah, if you want an idea of the amount of work that would be required to make a 'universal' SMPS driver, look at SMPSPlay.

7. Ziro_

I was only curious. I am not going to do it, but somebody is probably going to do it one day.

8. AURORA☆FIELDS

very unlikely to be honest

Devon, Clownacy and breakthetargets like this.
  9. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

To add on to the above, it is very unlikely because it's unneccesary to have a universal SMPS driver. Porting SMPS tracks to another SMPS driver is a thing.

10. Ziro_

It might not be practical but people are crazy.

11. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    It's more than impractical. It's unreasonable and nigh unusable due to the overhead and space needed along with individual configuration. What you're asking for is detached from realistic expectation. The hardware has limitations on what it can do, and while a number of us know how to bend the rules to squeeze every drop out of the hardware possible, there are, believe it or not, boundaries for which we can't beat short of "cheating", which requires cost and specialized production that defeats the purpose of working on the console.

12. AURORA☆FIELDS

Basically the infinite complexity and hackyness of SMPS makes it a shit "format". There is no standardization, and so many differences and idiocy with drivers that its outright stupid to try to make it 'universal' without high quality loss, incompatability (which universal should never have) and just using too much ROM space. I meant look at the program, its 300KB with 4 sound drivers installed! Thats mad, and you suggest we have all-in-one driver with at least 300 games to support? We aren't magicians you know

DanielHall, Pacca, FireRat and 4 others like this.
  13. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

You're not Magicians? Aww I was just to ask you guys to port Sonic Generations directly to the Sega Game Gear.

In all seriousness, I can't believe I never posted here. This is really nice and works well, really great work.

14. AURORA☆FIELDS

Long time no see, but I am here to release yet another version! This time, I did a few major changes, which hopefully you can see as improvements;

The link in the original post has been updated. There may still be some odd bugs introduced by the changes. If you do find any, please report them!

15. AURORA☆FIELDS

This time, I've added GEMS support, and cleaned up many things around the source code

The link in the original post has been updated. There may still be some odd bugs introduced by the changes. If you do find any, please report them!

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Cool stuffs!

I myself have never used GEMS, but it certainly shows itself as quite an interesting sound driver. I was surprised to see any form of support for the driver in fact!

Nice work! Have a like~

17. AURORA☆FIELDS

Whoops, time for another "twice-a-year" update, only to have this project be dead again for 5 more months! Am I right or amirite?

You know the drill. The reason i decided to update so abruptly, is because I decided I got enough of SMPS2ASM, and it really badly needs a rewrite. I was going to add new features (like new drivers, something ASM68K fans will love, sekrits), but since I am rewriting SMPS2ASM eventually, and I don't have too much time to work on this right now, I need a lot of time to accomplish all of those things. However, once I get to work on all this stuff, it'll be awesome!

18. AURORA☆FIELDS

Happy new year! I am finally done working on stuff. I haven't finished everything I wanted yet, but I've been working on this for so long time now, I wanted to get something released. I will be still working on the other stuff, but later.

Magical link. Because of the new changes, I expect some bugs to happen. If you see one, please poke me about it!

19. AURORA☆FIELDS

lol happy new year, again! As it turns out, I only release this once a year or something... I've been working on this throughout the year, adding some thing every now and then. I've been very busy though so I haven't had the chance to work on this as much as I wanted. But I hope that these new features will be exciting!

Super new years link. I am thinking I'll eventually get to rewrite SMPS2ASM once again. Yes I know, I just did, but I thought having a GUI instead of the crummy console application would be great and more user-friendly approach. This could give me an opportunity to optimize it even further and add more features. If you have any in mind, please let me know!

Chainspike, maple_t and Ravenfreak like this.