Sonic Hacking Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Mar 23, 2016.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

What qualifies as 'significant contribution'? Cinossu contributed two songs, amphobius contributed nine songs, Clownacy did coding work and was a beta tester, Spanner was also a beta tester.

2. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Yeah, I was gonna bring that up on Discord: I've worked on the sound driver, but I also contributed bugfixes to the game itself. I was even titled the 'assistant programmer' ('junior programmer', was it?) at one point. Dunno if it made it into the actual credits.

I think it's safe to say I'm disqualified. =P

3. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Cinossu and Spanner definitely didn't contribute enough to make sense to disqualify them. Amphobius is probably nudging the line, while Clownacy is definitely past it. At least, that's what I'd riddle off from a glance. It's a very subjective determination, but it's ultimately weighing contribution against personal bias, and disqualifying when contribution amount is enough that it would feasibly bias opinion a notable amount.

4. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

On another subject, I have an issue with my team; after my name was changed to Retro, it did not update to the shc site I tried to add myself there, but ended up just deleting it and still failing to get me back in. Now the team editing site is closed and I cannot try to add it back anymore. I'd need this profile to added to my team before the contest week.

5. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

@Clownacy I think that was "Junior Assistant Programmer" (compared to Flamewing's Senior), and I was never really going to put that in the credits. Not that I don't appreciate what you've done, but the title was a bit silly, and you are already credited.

@LazloPsylus OK, sounds reasonable. I mean, you could only bar amphobius from voting for KEH in the music trophy, I guess?

6. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Regardless of how other judges feel about my involvement with KEH I will refrain from voting on it. It wouldn't be fair as I have significant bias towards the hack in general.

7. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

8. HackGame

HackGame The ROM Hacker Member

Welp, all aboard the hype train!
    I'm so excited for the Hacking Contest!
    Hope everyone who submitted in the contest gets the best appreciation. ^ ^

ArcaniaCQ and FireRat like this.
  9. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

I think, hard times are coming for my emulator :)

10. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

I like how SHC topic links on About page go to Retro's SHC2013 topic and SSRG's main page.

11. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

There's a Sonic Pocket Adventure hack coming up? Damn, people are creative.

Can't wait!

12. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Our judges have been working through this year's entries for the last few weeks and our Media Panel have been preparing their stuff for the Contest Week too. As the Contest Week quickly approaches, here are a few things to note:

• On Saturday, we will open our official Discord Server to the public. Aside from the forum threads, this will be the only place to chat about this year's contest, there is no IRC Channel this year.
    • Also on Saturday we should be able to reveal our streaming lineup for this year. Just like previous years, there will be various streams taking place during the day and night.
    • I am intending on doing a stream this Sunday which showcases hacks that have been entered in previous years. It will take place from 7pm GMT / 2pm EST.
    • There will be a Mini Contest during the Contest Week, for anyone considering working on something during the week. Find out what it entails this Monday.

Oh and for all the social media nutjobs out there, we have a Facebook and Twitter for you to get involved with. Don't ask us why it took this long for these pages to surface.

13. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Alright, the SHC Discord is open for all to access! Here's an invite to it for people to join with: https://discord.gg/mZhVjKt

HackGame likes this.
  14. Burst

Is it intended that you can download the hacks from your team, even if it is not public?

15. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

I'm assuming so yes, since the hacks are credited towards your team you can edit your team's entries.

16. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Here is the stream schedule for the Contest Week - available in GMT, EST and PST time zones.

At 7pm GMT / 2pm EST join myself and the rest of the contest team as we look at hacks from previous years of the Hacking Contest.

17. Baraksha

Baraksha Well-Known Member Member

I will sound stupid to some of you for saying this, but I honestly am disapointed that SCMJ will stream at 2AM in the morning for me, it's the stream I mostly cared about, oh well I guess spanner will be good also

18. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

If he does it the same way that he had done with livestreams of Sonic Hacking Contest XI to XIII, chances are that John will be archiving all of his streams almost immediately after they are finished, if not a few hours later, so you'll be able to catch them after the fact, if not the next day.
    The episodes may take a few hours to be archived onto his channel, knowing how odd it still currently is for people to archive long Twitch streams to YouTube (without the use of JDownloader or another relevant application to download the full video to their computer for re~uploading), but they'll be available soon enough.

Especially since both he and Donnie will be streaming separately during Primetime for the Eastern Coast on Election Day, knowing that John's Tuesday stream would probably be archived onto the channel by the morning of Wednesday (if not earlier) helps make watching all of the streams back to back far easier for me; all that I hope is that none of us miss too much of any of the 027 streams, totaling an estimated 081 hours of footage, not including extra material.
    I know that I'll be having a fun time watching them this time around, Sonic Hacking Contest XI to XIII have done rather well with the streams up to this point, so I hope that this one truly does deliver some major good to us; only time will tell though, but I have positive hopes and wishes for everybody involved, let's enjoy the week and hope that everybody has a good and fun time, that's all I could ask for at the end of the day. :)

19. Burst

Alright. It's open. The contest is open. :) I hope to see goooood entrys from you all. :D I will kill the storage of my smartphone xD

20. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

WE ARE LIVE!
    The time has come to download the entries and play them!

Here is the stream lineup for today:
    4pm GMT / 11am EST / 8am PST - Spanner
    7pm GMT / 2pm EST / 11am PST - redhotsonic
    9pm GMT / 4pm EST / 1pm PST - MegaGWolf (please note - first hour overlaps redhotsonic's last hour)
    12am GMT / 7pm EST / 4pm PST - SomecallmeJohnny