General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. GJJG

GJJG Não me pertube. In Limbo

It is a major breakthrough before seen attempts out there to make a tridimensinal background with 7 mode for the console. It would be great to have games like this ~and rub in the face of Nintendistas hahaha~

B. Comet likes this.
  2. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Um... not to belittle Markey's work (he knows I like seeing what he can pull off far too much to do that), but this isn't the first time a "Mode 7" effect has been pulled off on the console. Markey himself did this already (albeit not quite as smoothly) a few years ago, and WaterMelon used such an effect for a segment of Pier Solar. And that's just what I can recall off-hand with a very tired brain. Don't blow what this is out of proportion. It's already quite cool enough as it is, without having to go overboard.

3. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

I believe that you are referring to this:

~ Pier Solar: Mossae's Quest Gameplay Sample:

The Mossae's Quest minigame is definitely not as fast or as smooth in this department, when compared to what we would view from titles that were made for the Sega CD or Super 032X, but for what it's worth, I've got to admit that this is very impressive for the Genesis/Megadrive alone, it works out pretty well and stays at a rather fair balance in the framerate, even if there are any lag frames in emulation.
    My only question on the matter of doing this effect for Genesis/Megadrive titles is this: Is there a particular framerate limit that is not meant to be exceeded when working on a Mode 07 effect for a title on this console, or could it go to the maximum; I ask because Sonic the Hedgehog CD had locked the framerate for the Special Stages at 030, while the two parallax layers for the background would scroll around at what looks and feels as if it were at 060, that has always confused me and I never could understand why it was programmed that way for two separate forms of graphics, always felt weird to look at.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I'm aware of pier solar, what I'm also aware of, is that they used double pixels vertically and horizontally to save on time (much like I did before), but they could get away with it by drawing some of the double pixels as line dithered to help hide this, you can't do that with Sonic CD's special stage art, it'd be too notice-able

What you see in the video is a "single" pixel rendered mode 7, one that didn't resort to using a simple repetitive texture. I wouldn't have bothered showing it if it didn't have any meaning to it >=(

Niko, pixelcat, M.N.K. and 4 others like this.
  5. GJJG

Certainly I referred indirectly to examples like Solar Pier obviously done before the two works Markey. As an example, I have a demo mode 7 dated 2006 and saw how precarious was the work with this feature. And now seeing 10 years later developments had to this point, and so far only used on two occasions.

6. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

โบวี่ likes this.
  7. GJJG

I already have these demo and any other rom technology that took in the forums. Do not doubt.

8. breakthetargets

Then why state that it was only used for two occasions after these ten years? Honestly, if you knew there were these demos as well you would have added them to the count of occasions you've seen Mode 7 used.

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

How many instances of mode 7 have been seen by someone is irrelevant to the topic.

I think he was just making the point that, despite mode 7 being proven as possible, and even being improved over the years, it doesn't seem to occur much in projects as it probably should have done.

The simple fact is, no one method is providing us with a "perfect" mode 7, and I say perfect not very lightly. All mode 7 instances so far have been very limited one way or the other. The many occurances, such as pier solar, my old CDSS, and those two F-ZERO instances, are all limited in various ways, the most noteable being the resolution had to be sacrificed to get a reasonably acceptable speed. My new one here allows the resolution to remain true at a decent speed, but comes at the cost of memory.

The truth is, we haven't got a true mode 7 yet, we've just gotten close with sacrifices, we haven't quite got it 1:1.

10. GJJG

Pier Solar and S1 CDSS.

If you have another example ai used in practice (you should have thought of just demo), put al.

11. breakthetargets

I see now, my apologies.

GJJG likes this.
  12. FохConED

FохConED Join to Digital Resistance! Member

It's time for Sonic Virtual Adventure! Soon on SHC 2016...
    Music: Ivan YO - Escape from Reality HQ(Sonic Virutal Adventure main theme)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  13. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Virtual Adventure! :) It's awesome - poor me finding the Chaos Emerald pieces... :8

14. Narcologer

Narcologer Hell angel Member

It's good that your hack won't look like one at SHC2015. I look forward for it!

15. GJJG

Good expectations for this hack.

16. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

17. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Watch in 720p
    (Again, I'm sorry for the stretched aspect. That's the only way I found to make my video run at 60fps)

18. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

19. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Please tell me that this zone consists of us playing as or attacking the Capital A from Castle of Illusion/I Love Mickey Mouse, I would love that immensely, I have been waiting for an Alphabet themed zone for an extremely long time and I hope that this will be as satisfactory as I anticipate it to be.

20. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

Did bakayote let you continue A? or is this something new?