Help with Sonic 2 SMS mappings editing

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Bluestreak, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

Hello all. I am very mixed up on what to do about the mappings for Sonic 2 SMS. Whenever I mess with them in Aspect Edit, they turn into a garbled mess. I heard Aspect Edit saves them with the wrong file extension, and so I have to change it in Notepad++. If this is true, what is the extension I need to change it to? (.bin,.asm, et cetera). Is there something better to use that will give me less issues?

2. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Theres a slight quirk in it. You'll need to save mappings in .bin, then EXPORT it to .asm.

That got me too the first time I edited graphics.

3. Bluestreak

How do I do that? Sorry, I am really new to this.

4. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Theres a button on the toolbar that exports it, near the save button.

5. Bluestreak

Thank you so much!! I appreciate it!!

6. Bluestreak

So, I exported the mappings to asm, with the name "mappings32_ghz" . I still have garbled graphics oddly enough. I tried deleting the mapping bin file, only leaving the asm file there, and it would not compile it. I restored the mapping binary, then resaved both a bin AND asm file... I compiled it once more, and still, I have garbled graphics. I don't understand. I exported it as ASM. What happened?

Attached Files:

7. Bluestreak

Starting on Round 4: Crystal Castles now. While it is going to be based on R2 (AKA Relic/Rubble Ruin or Prism Palace) from Sonic CD, I am wondering what the bricks should look like. I have a few ideas from various images on the net.

Reason I am doing this Round right now is because I am stuck on Peridot Palms currently due to some issues and I want to get a demo up and running, so turning Underground into Crystal Castles is my current decision.

Zone 1 takes place in the present. Some statues are broken, most are whole, and it will be in a grey colour with green grass. Zone 2 takes place in the past. All statues and columns are whole, plus it is gonna be in a green colour with blue grass. Zone 3 takes place in the future with machinery replacing statues, blue bricks, and the grass being green once more, but with more of a blueish tint to it.

Prism Palace Past_zpsyvd4ohl9.gif

Prism Palace Zone DLC - R2 - CD Mock Up_zpsfdvalqsh (1).png

play-sega-1.jpg

redhotsonic edit: Tidied up the post a bit as the pictures were scattered.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2017
  8. Bluestreak

Really short video showing off current progress in Peridot Palms. Got the mappings working finally, somewhat anyway. Still at least 32 to 48 tiles to add, trees to change, springs to change, flowers to add, and more.

KCEXE likes this.
  9. Bluestreak

Mockups for Crystal Castles. I am working on chunks for the stage currently, but why not show off some mock-ups while we are at it? Zone 1 takes place in the present, Zone 2 in the past, and Zone 3 is in the Future. There is a reason I ended up choosing to make this Round based on R2. It doesn't look NEARLY as nice as Peridot Palms, but it tries its hardest. Can show the current chunks done, before I implement them into the game, if you like.

Zone 1 exclusively uses ONLY broken pillars/columns, and does not have other castles in the background. It has a blue sky.
    Zone 2 has many more pillars, all unbroken, and has castles in the background. The lava is recoloured blue, to represent "hot springs".
    Zone 3 uses chunks with leaves and mountains totally not from Tidal Tempest for its backdrop, and has some technological stuff as well (not from Tidal Tempest good future, I swear). Instead of falling into a lava pit before being rescued in the nick of time by Robotnik, it is Sonic falling into a spike pit and being saved by Mecha Sonic.

Any suggestions on improvement?

Crystal Castles Zone.png
    PRESENT (Zone 1)
    CrystalCastlesPast.png
    PASSSST (Zone 2)
    Crystal Castles Future.png
    FYUUTUUUURE (Zone 3)

KCEXE, pixelcat, Niko and 1 other person like this.