General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. HackGame

HackGame The ROM Hacker Member

Here's my attempt of making Sonic's animation smooth. Like walking, running, looking up, and looking down!

FATA-, EMK-20218, FохConED and 9 others like this.
  2. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

I would speed up Sonic's looking up animation in order to make it appear smoother.
    Otherwise, fantastic work!

HackGame likes this.
  3. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

x-post from Retro

[​IMG]

foreground art by MASTERestlib, yes I know this was used in SFactor I found that out after the fact

4. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Yoooooo! I got the Sega Virtua Processor to work on a Sonic 1 ROM!

Don't believe me? Have a ROM!

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Fantastic work!

That looks so much fun to program!

LuigiXHero likes this.
  6. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

[​IMG]
    This is the fourth time I've redesigned this background with a few mini-redesigns inbetween. I am happy with this I am not going to redesign it again. To allow the reflection to be just as detailed as the island and clouds, I was able to use the make use of mid-screen color switching (I don't know the technical term), which also saved a few tiles. Because the tan-oranges were used for sand in the foreground, they don't change between screens and, instead, different tiles with lighter shades were used. Luckily the lightest shade wasn't used on the island. Also, I added another option to vladikcomper's parallax engine which would ripple the water like in Emerald Hill Zone and the effect is very nice looking.

For those who would like to know, the island is from the first level of Ecco the Dolphin and the clouds are from Launch Base Zone Act 2. It took me a while to find fitting clouds. My goal was to look for the background that was the source of the clouds used in Sonic 2 Advanced Edit assuming rika_chou didn't draw them himself but I would have settled on something just as nice. I gave up, looked through Sonic 3, and saw this and settled on it. Luckily, it used two shades on purple and a white which meant I didn't have to reduce the quality to fit it in.

Posting at midnight is FUN!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

I don't know how obvious it's going to look, but without anything to cover it (or clever timing), you're going to get colored pixels where the palette switches mid-screen.
    They don't appear on Fusion, Regen, or most of the commonly used emulators. They WILL however appear on hardware.

Pacca, ProjectFM and AURORA☆FIELDS like this.
  8. Devon

9. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I completely forgot about that. Fixing it won't be that big of a priority considering how almost everyone will play this on an emulator anyway. Eventually I'll take a look at how Sonic 3 solves it along with how it changes colors twice to make certain colors change at a slightly higher level to others.
    That's cool! Are you achieving this by hex editing or a disassembly and do you plan on using this for your own hack?

10. Devon

I've disassembled Virtua Racing and debugged it in an emulator to figure out how it works. I then took my knowledge and applied it to a stock Sonic 1 disassembly, which is what's being run in the video above.

I will be making a tech demo and a Sonic hack with this, along with documentation of the chip.

Pacca, ProjectFM and FireRat like this.
  11. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

This is actually not how S3K works. Instead, the code is very carefully crafted to write 3 colors per scanlines, and then wait for the scanline to end, before moving to next set of colors. It waits just enough, to the start of the next h-int in order to write colors while they will not be visible. There are certainly better ways to do this, too, but the way they did it in S3K works great in both PAL and NTSC (with different codes depending on region). For reference, here is the code commented.

Unlimited Trees and ProjectFM like this.
  12. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hey guys, i'm just working on my Sonic & Ashuro 4.00, and i want to show you this thing...
    Ashuro wall run.png

This is from my new Green Hill, a wall run, as you can see.

MotoBadnik, Razor, NiphFM and 22 others like this.
  13. B. Comet

B. Comet Is fun still infinite? Member

Well... Not finished yet.

[​IMG]..[​IMG]..[​IMG]

14. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Yeah the 2nd screenshot kind of clashes together, might want to do something about that foreground. (I take it the foreground is being replaced though as the MZ theme doesnt work with a city lol) Other then that it doesn't look too bad good job!
    Edit: And Ashuro I honestly didnt think you knew enough about code to do something like that so I'm impressed good job.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Personally, I think the metal 'bricks' and the grass amidst the city kind of give gives kind of a 'park within a city' (a la Central Park) kind of vibe, and I like it! The lava however, may not thematically fit to well for me. Maybe you can replace it with another gimmick?

MarkeyJester likes this.
  16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I was talking with Natsumi on Discord about this. It's not without its flaws, but It's a good start!

The FG blends too hard with the BG, probably because they're both quite dark, and the background does seem to be a little too busy (don't worry, I've been guilty of the same~). But what I do like about it, are the shining designs in the FG bricks (I think I mentioned that before iirc in a previous screenshot?), and the background in the middle shot that has the blue light horizon, that is fantastic! I always find that if you make a sky, but make the horizon lighter and make it a darker shade as it goes up, you get a very realistic sky and depth/horizon. So well done there!

All I can say is, you've got a good start here, keep it up!

TheInvisibleSun and B. Comet like this.
  17. TheBlurCafe

TheBlurCafe Welcome to TheBlurCafe! Member

Oh hi Mega Man 2 skyscraper!
    Didn't expect to see you here!
    The art is really neat although, if I may, I'd suggest you to change the FG tiles, they have a weird "glassy" look to them, probably because of the way they shine, and that blue kind of clashes (but it may be the grass making me think of stupid things).
    Also, is lava going to be in the final version as well? Not saying it shouldn't be, but unless you're NOT going for a "Crisis City" kind of thing, I'd suggest you to change it to...um...something, I guess, OR you could code the lava to act like those mud pits in Marble Garden.

TheInvisibleSun likes this.
  18. FохConED

FохConED Join to Digital Resistance! Member

Sonic Virtual Adventure isn't dead, it (or she, because SVA - my wife =P) is Reloaded!
    The new concept of hack, more levels, creative bosses, smooth gameplay and other features wait you in SVA Beta on SHC 2k17!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  19. TheBlurCafe

TheBlurCafe Welcome to TheBlurCafe! Member

HOLY MOTHER OF FUNK.
    That is really, really good looking, and the music...
    OH THE MUSIC
    It's great! I just...I...This is too awesome for me to handle, dude, you can't just post this awesome title screen out of nowhere!
    Jokes aside, if I had one little nitpick, it'd be that I preferred the instrumentation in the older title theme.

20. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

A very simple title screen for a Game Boy homebrew I'm working on.
    [​IMG]

Spiritmaster, NiphFM, FireRat and 6 others like this.