Sonic Adventure 64 - [Progress Thread]

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by PablosCorner, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PablosCorner

PablosCorner Newcomer Trialist

[​IMG]

The Team:
    ★Pablo's Corner★
    ★BlackStone187★
    ★LuigiXHero★
    ★Nikki (Quasmok)★
    (This mod is currently in development)

Demo Download Link:

Google Drive Mirror

This is Sonic Adventure 64! A mod of Super Mario 64 where you can play Sonic Adventure stages in Super Mario 64 and you can even play as Sonic!

More details to come soon as the mod is developed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

I recall this project as "a thing" quite awhile ago, but it was almost so ensuring that it was canceled due to being so much longer with no word.
    Everything here appears to be the exact same as how it was back then, if I'm not mistaken?

Even back in the day, it seemed like an amazing concept, and it was great to see the attempts on other aspects such as coins becoming rings, and even altering the sounds like almost no other Sonic-in-Mario does. I just worry about the actual hardware being able to run it the fact that Sonic's voice was really deep whenever it wasn't a stage select.

The only thing I see here that I didn't see before is the Mystic Ruin's Chao Garden, which is nice to see again (on new territory), but I feel like it's a little odd to re-post about a two-year-old hack with almost nothing new about it. Then again, if I'm missing something, please do! point it out to me; I'd love to be enlightened by this project with so much potential.

Bluestreak and ProjectFM like this.
  3. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

We actually completely restarted the hack due to quite a few issues. We've got lots of cool stuff in store. We also switched over to using the dreamcast models since they look better.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I wanted to give this a try without spoiling myself with the video and screenshots. But the emulator I'm using to play the ROM, seems to do nothing but sit there. Is there a specific emulator this works on, of a specific version?

5. LuigiXHero

It's recommended that you use project 64 version 1.6

It requires you to turn on advanced settings in the options and set the ram to 8mb for it to work.

Here's a video on the process (description has a download for the emulator):

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I was quite surprised about the details, level shape, and textures put together here~ It really does feel like it came straight out of Sonic Adventure, the accuracy is very solid given the polygon limitations, and I was also quite surprised to hear a rendition of the level's theme too! I was also stunned to hear that there's a widescreen version =O I mean, I'd imagine this is more of an emulation hack, not liable to be something to work on hardware without physical modificaitons, but nevertheless, the fact that you've gone out of your way to make this happen is simply, and purely golden~ It's very exciting stuff here!!

I was however, disappointed in the gameplay aspect, and the number of objects that are still pretty much Mario 64, as well as being near impossible to navigate the level. Not to deter the efforts here by any means, I fully understand that it is merely a proto/demo build... But I feel that, it probably shouldn't have been released quite so early in this state. But, seeing that screenshot of another section of the level, not yet in the current build, is filling me with sheer delight and excitement! My only other complaint so far, is the audio samples for Sonic feel a little out of place, and somewhat cringy =X

Do tell me though, what's the plan for this project excactly? As in... how far are you going to go? How much are you going to remake? I don't know whether or not the "entire game" would be a bit much, if not graphically, then certainly the cutscenes for their audio, but I'd certainly be interested in seeing that accomplished~

PablosCorner likes this.
  7. LuigiXHero

The main issue is that we don't have anyone who knows MIPS assembly so we really cannot make custom objects or events. The springs and sonic model was made by other people before this project even started.

As for the scope of the project we are going to try to get all levels in then and if we can squeeze the hubworld in.

We do have a little surprize planned though which you could guess seeing the spd meter in the screenshots.

8. PablosCorner

Thank you so much for the feedback! Luigi pretty much nailed it with the custom objects explanation. About the music/samples, I actually do have a much better version of Emerald Coast's music.. but, I also even have custom samples that will go into this hack. Hope that might explain that. It was also released how it was due to me submitting it for a contest for SMWCentral.

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Ah, a contest release, fair enough~

At any rate, thanks for the clarity on this, it's all exciting stuff, keep it up!

10. PablosCorner

Thanks! Hopefully soon I'll have more to show off.

MarkeyJester likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.