Unlimited Trees' Sonic 1 (Early Demo)

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Unlimited Trees, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arsen

Arsen Active Member In Limbo

Alright, firstly I didn't saw whole posts that you all talking about Amy Rose's Videos, you know it's morning (right before I wake up) that I posted this post that I congratulated you and I didn't have time to read the entire thread. After College, I had enough time to read entirely. Well, after that I feel stupid ._.

BTW that video I posted is uploaded like 1 hour ago when I posted this post that I congratulated you

2. Trinitronity

Trinitronity Well-Known Member Member

Hey, Unlimited Trees, MegaGWolf played your "100% completed hack":

;)

3. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

Actually, he specified during the video that this hack is a WIP, even if he didn't write it in the video or in the description.
    For some weird reason, the description, other than links, is just "Today we check out a ".

4. Trinitronity

Trinitronity Well-Known Member Member

...do you even know what a joke is?

5. Arsen

Arsen Active Member In Limbo

6. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Can we please get this topic back on track instead of posting multiple videos of the same thing with shit memes attached?

7. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

Okay, I have just played your latest version of the hack. I absolutely love the artwork in the game for backgrounds, but I feel some things are a bit too small, like the grass and trees, and would fit better in an SMS game because of it. Also, I really don't like the new Sonic standing sprite either. It is far too small, and looks a bit odd. I would suggest staying far closer to the old Sonic 1 sprites, and changing up the shading, and maybe have the standing sprite be more like Sonic Classic by Hez. The enemy sprites, however, look great! I wonder if you have thought of maybe turning Roller into a tumbleweed, who, when he is standing, little robotic arms and legs pop out, and part of the tumbleweed uncovers to show piercing red glaring eyes.

On level order, Green Hill being the last level feels odd. I think it being the first level would be better, with Egg Plant being Zone 5 (Sonic returning to Green Hill when learning Robotnik got ahold of it while he was gone, and his new base, Zone 6, being built there).

Also, for the boss theme, maybe add little PCM samples of Robbie Rotten saying "we are number one" for added effect.

This game feels like a Genesis remake of Sonic Mania, and that isn't a bad thing by far. I always wished a Genesis port of Mania existed, and the layouts and level art is done so well. I can't wait to see what more you do with this. I wonder what Star Light and Labyrinth will become!!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  8. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Bluestreak, this hack has been cancelled (or at least it's on hiatus) as stated here.

I would like to say that I don't support UnlimitedTree's decision to cancel this hack because of how much work has gone into it, the limitations fan games have such as lacking in accessibility and accuracy, and how poor I see the reasoning for the switch to be. Really, in the span of less than a year, UT created a pretty popular hack that has given him a pretty good reputation and then stated "going nowhere" as one of the reasons he quit.He also quit due to frustration which makes it seem like he just didn't want to put in the effort to overcome his issues, even though it would help him improve as ROM hacker.

However, I'd like to see where his fan game goes to see if there really was something about ROM hacking that kept him from making his work as good as he can make it.

9. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

I was going to save my 100th post for a trailer, but seeing people talk about it is pretty much forcing me to use it, so fuck it I'll save my 101th post instead.

No, this game isn't cancelled (or on hiatus). Instead, the project has turned into a fan game, and has had some insane progress ever since I quit ROM hacking. Already got 6 zones in the game, 3 being main zones and 3 being extras. You'll see a gameplay video later, and the game is coming out to SAGE this year.

And as for level order, Green Hill is no longer a main game zone, so it isn't the last thing you play. Egg Plant however will be staying as the first zone.

Also,
    Most of the things I did for the hack version were pretty bad when looking back at it. Egg Plant, Marble City, and Desert Dazzle looked really ugly, and Green Hill needed some improvements, especially when it came to backgrounds. However, you won't have to worry about the work being wasted, as there's some things borrowed from the old version, and the new zones will be way better. And I understand the limitations of fan games, but I rather have a complete game than have a shitty hack that was only going to have one act worth of gameplay, and it would've taken twice as long to make as the fan game I'm making.

Anyways sorry for this cluster fuck of a post. I was working on the fan game just now but seeing this I had to respond. I won't be posting until I have a trailer ready, so bleh.

Until then, have this small screenshot to hype you up:
    [​IMG]
    (Water in BG based off of art by MrCat, with permission)

Bluestreak, ProjectFM and jubbalub like this.
  10. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

I'm glad it's still alive. I loved your version of Desert Dazzle. It had a good fusion of Sand Shower/Dust Hill from Sonic 2 and Mirage Saloon from Mania.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.