NewNeko Palette Editor

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by nineko, Jul 5, 2014.

1. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Note: this post has been updated a few times.

Tool Name: NewNeko Palette Editor

Build: 0.2.1

Author(s): nineko

Description: yes, yet another palette editor. Why? Because Varion a few days ago asked me for an editor which allowed to change the number of displayed colors per line, to make it easier to edit rotating palettes. Since it was simple enough, I did it.

Video of version 0.1.2 in action. Current version has more features.

Oh, you should know the deal with my programs by now, it has virtually no error checking at all, so don't do stupid things, like trying to write on a protected drive. Be serious and it will work fine.

Download: here (17075 bytes). Update: the archive now includes the 32X version as well (it's the one with "Martian" in the filename).

If anyone wants the source code I might even release it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    EMK-20218 likes this.
  2. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria Well-Known Member Member

Good to see the program I requested out to the public. Works great. really helps with Cycling Palettes when you need to see them in succession.

EMK-20218 likes this.
  3. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

Delete me, please.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  4. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

When I go to the link in your post, I get redirected to an HTML page which displays the image, using this URL:

[​IMG]

The bottom of the page has different links, but they're all JPG.

5. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

*Removed all the de-railed posts as requested by Nineko. Though, I did decide to keep MainMemory's post due to it making a contribution to the thread.*

All I can say about this palette editor is: about time. Palette cycle editing has always been a pain in the arse at times.

6. nineko

I'm glad to see that this really is useful, even if it's a very simple concept, I couldn't believe Varion when he told me there wasn't any other editor with this little feature :)

Of course, since this is a very first basic version, I'm open to suggestions, I wouldn't mind to add more useful features instead of relying only on the novelty of the variable number of colors per row. Since I'm not good at art I wouldn't know what to do, but if you have any good ideas, I'm listening :)

7. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

A few things I would like to see:

- Open As/Save As. would makes things easier if you don't have the program and the file in the same location.

- Rearrange colors. Like drag and drop colors to move them around. I use your PalSwap program for art but it would be neat to have it in a palette editor. (I know it's very easy in a hex editor, but still...I think it would be handy)

- Being able to highlight and edit multiple colors at once.

- Ctrl + Z / Undo. I think would come in handy

- The X close button doesn't work, I don't know if this in on purpose or not?

8. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Some things I was considering if I were to write a palette editor:

• Support for formats other than MD (for example Sonic & Knuckles Collection's 12-bit little endian palettes, and Sonic CD PC's 24-bit palettes).
    • Filters, such as subtraction, addition, and alpha blending (like SonLVL).
    • Gradient generation.
    If you can get all that, then I won't need to make my own.

9. nineko

Damn it, I was implementing some of Rika's suggestions, and I saw MainMemory's post only when I came here to post the new build -.-

Anyway, I'm fine with the "often release small updates" approach, so I can release a build now and keep on working on this later, so some of the new features can already be available in the mean time.

So, version 0.2:

• you can now select three different colors (left button, wheel, right button);
    • you can swap any two of the aforementioned three colors;
    • you can undo up to 200 actions.
    Also
    That's just me being the usual troll, I will re-enable it if it's that annoying, though.

The download link is the same and it's still in the OP.

Enjoy :)

10. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

Ah cool! Looks like this is going to be my main palette editor now. :)

Thanks for making this.

11. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Well it does look nice, but It wont let me load a palette file, even with that run time file in my computer. This is the error I get, Run-time error 75" Path/file access error. I'm running on Windows 7, 64-bit.

12. nineko

Why, that's weird. Anyway, it was simple enough to add support for Drag and Drop, so I just did that. Both on-icon from the Explorer window and on-form while the program is running. While I often implement on-icon dropping in my programs because it's simple as hell, I never really looked into on-form dropping because I always assumed it was complicated. It turns out there's only one function to call, so yeah, have it.

While I was at it I also changed the mouse cursor to the cross for more precise color picking.

And I added the "British Mode" which changes all the instances of "color" to "colour".

Find version 0.2.1 in the OP.

Enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  13. nineko

Basically, Varion suggested that it would be good to edit 32X palettes, so I implemented that. Since the palette files have the same extension and are virtually indistinguishable, to avoid confusion I decided to build two separate exe files so one can't load a Genesis palette and save it as 32X by mistake or vice versa. The editor for the 32X version is called "NewNeko Martian Palette Editor", a pun to the codename of the 32X.

I also take this chance to provide a new download link for the previous exe file since it was dead in the digilander debacle, and I have no chance to edit the first post of the other topic since it's locked.

So, here is everything: THIS LINK SHOULD NOW WORK

Moderators, please merge this topic with the old one, which can be reopened.

Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
  14. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

The link takes me to the SSRG home page. I had to copy the link and paste it in my browser in order to download the file.

The British Mode is a nice touch.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
  15. nineko

The issue with the link is weird, I blame the forum software for that because I created it correctly, I'll see if I can fix it, thanks for the report.

16. kenny0989

kenny0989 Well-known idiot Member

Holy crap, all of your sharing link were down, and all the things shared on Dropbox were down too, holy crap

17. nineko

Sorry about that, unfortunately DropBox decided to become stupid.

Attached Files:

18. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

You're a damn god, nineko! Thank you very much for this! It comes just right when I was needing for something like this. :)

kenny0989 and nineko like this.