What Sonic rom hacks inspired you to get into Sonic rom hacking?

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Lunatic, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunatic

Lunatic Newcomer Trialist

This is a question I honestly always wanted to ask the rom hackers here for a while now, what Sonic rom hacks (If any) inspired you all to start Sonic rom hacking yourself? Ususally a person is inspired by something before they go on into a certain field or hobby and I'm pretty sure its the same case for many rom hackers here like myself. These hacks can range from simple, advanced, or just straight up silly in design. Each of these rom hack types inspire other people, including other rom hackers, in some way, whether the inspiration they recieve is good or bad.

Personally, the Sonic rom hacks that inspired me to try Sonic rom hacking for myself are:
    -Sonic 3 and Knuckles: Hard Bosses Edition
    -Sonic Uno
    -Metal Sonic Overdrive/Hyperdrive
    -Sonic Erazor
    -SHC13 version of Sonic Green Snake

What are the hacks that inspired you to get into Sonic rom hacking?

Jefftastic likes this.
  2. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Sonic 2 XL and yes I am ashamed to admitting it

maple_t likes this.
  3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

Megamix was the hack that got me into this hobby. I joined the community when team Megamix released version 4.0, and that's also the time that I discovered Rom hacking in general.

Jefftastic likes this.
  4. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

I was actually not really inspired by any ROM hacks in particular to get into hacking myself. I got into it after discovering tools to modify the games, which led to a bunch of ESE II hacks such as Cool Sonic 2 Hack, which I actually released into the Ralakimus Hack Pack. SomecallmeJohnny's SHC 2013 streams helped to drive me into it more, since it showed me how advanced hacking Sonic actually was at the time.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  5. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Sonic Hachelle-Bee's Sonic 2 Long Version. That was an inspirational spark that got me digging into the guts of the MD and led me over a decade to here.

6. Pineapple Arse

Pineapple Arse I ironically hate cold temperatures. Member

It was not really rom hacks that has inspired me, but it was watching re-runs of SomeCallMeJohnny's SHC2015 steams. Seeing what people can do with the classics made me try it myself.

7. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

LazloPsylus and I are one alike on this subject: Long Version was exposed to me in the Summer of 2006 via SHB's old page for it (although I wouldn't play it until September of 2007 because I didn't know about emulators until then), and preview shots from older versions of Megamix at that time had served as an influence too; I tried to make some ROM hacks of the original trilogy in 2008 and '09 but I was using now~dated or deprecated resources that no longer are the norm and were difficult to work with, so those went nowhere; plus I cannot code, that has always been my biggest fault, hence why I stick primarily to Art, Music, Sound Effects, and Video in virtually anything I do, those are what I have always known best.

8. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

Too many to count really. Basically I played through every single hack on the retro hack page. Though I was hacking games before I really got back into sonic (I grew up with sonic but didn't really love it until I played generations and decided to replay the older games) so technically generations is the thing that got me into Sonic hacking.

9. Stardust

Stardust [screams in cat] Member

The ROM hacks that inspired me to get into hacking were:
    - Sonic Megamix
    - Sonic 1 Harder Levels(Now known as Sonic and the Mystic Gems???)
    - Mobius Evolution.

EMK-20218 likes this.
  10. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Sonic 2 Delta. Curious to see how the lost zones would've played, and a fully functional HPZ is awesome.

SaunicBoom likes this.
  11. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I have probably given Metal Sonic Hyperdrive too many complements in the past, but it has been a great inspiration for me. I love how it uses recycled art, the music choices are phenomenal, and the level design makes creative use of Sonic 1's objects. There is also Sonic 2 Advanced Edit for similar reasons, but I also love how good the original art is.

KCEXE likes this.
  12. Jefftastic

Jefftastic n00blet Member

Its a cliche thing to say but, in all honestly, I think all of them are basically my inspirations. Take notes from the good, and make full and well the bad is not present.

EMK-20218 and B. Comet like this.
  13. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

I'm in this place since a very long time ago (more than 10 years? Yes). I can say I saw the very first hacks being developed, but the one which made my will to be into rom-hacking was Sonic 2 Delta. This hack was also served as inspiration for the creation of my own hack. Later, Sonic 1 Beta Remake and Sonic 2 Long Version were inspirations for the prior versions of my hack.

14. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

You guys would probably expect me to say this since it's in one of my postings on the favorite ROM hack thread.

Pantufa the Cat. The original version to be specific.

I was impressed by how the whole hack appeared to be a fresh, new, and original back then to me and that idea basically gave me the inspiration on my old works: BakaSonic and Project Reiko. RIP those old projects of mine.

EMK-20218 and LuigiXHero like this.
  15. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Sonic Megamix, SHC 15 Hacks and Sonic 2 Painto Edition.

16. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

I think... Sonic Megamix had something to do with it.

But the real reason is that I've always dreamed of seeing my character in a video game, and the easiest way to do that is through rom-hacking. Afterwards I really loved doing this, and now it's one of my passions. I hope one day to become one of the great names in the field of rom-hacking.

And that Sonic & Ashuro makes people want to make their hacks, as it inspired me with Megamix.

EMK-20218, Niko and Dragon Wolf Leo like this.
  17. Ziro_

Ziro_ Mentally Skewed Member

There were a lot of hacks that inspired me to start romhacking (Mostly the ones on the sonic retro wiki). I really enjoyed Sonic Megamix but the one that pushed me over the edge was Sonic CD ++.

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

I played a few hacks, not many, but few. Sonic 2 Delta, and Sonic 1 Extended Edition were among them.

But the one that really actually brought me in, got my attention, and got me into hacking. Was in fact, Sonic Megamix (3.0 at the time). This was a hack that was doing things no other hack at the time was doing, it had new characters, new moves, new music, new almost everything! It was one of the few hacks out there that was actually cram packed with replay value.

The best thing is, I got to work on Megamix!! The very hack that brought me in!! The sad thing is, you'll never get to see my work on it =(

Interestingly, there were a few fangames that brought me in also, Sonic XG was one, as well as Retro Sonic, not sure if we'd be allowed to count those?

KCEXE and Bluestreak like this.
  19. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

My story is slightly different. One certain fan game inspired me to edit Sonic levels, art, music and other stuff - Sonic Project Mettrix. A fan game made by Stealth with level editor similar to SonED interface that caught my attention in 2007. I used to edit that game before hacking, it's also first game that introduced me Debug Mode - E01 version (slighty). Why am I mentioning E01? Well, because this fan game has long and wicked development history and that game survived two engines - E01 and E02. I've grow up on E01, when E02 came out, I totally hated it, because level editor was harder to manage for me. Thanks for this game, i had easier times with SonED2, because of similar editing interface. For anybody who wanna know more about this I recommending read this old SSRG thread I've made with response of Stealth itself (one of the main creators of Sonic Mania - first official game accepted by SEGA from fans for fans). http://sonicresearch.org/community/...-mettrix-demo-4-stealths-sonic-fan-game.4403/

I supposed to not share my thoughts here, but certain discussion on Discord changed my mind.

20. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Have you ever thought about maybe incorporating your Megamix work into a mini hack of sorts? It'd be a shame to see it go to waste by never being publicly released.

KCEXE, Pokepunch, ProjectFM and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.