Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Wudibou

Wudibou Newcomer In Limbo

It is good to know !
    Thanks !

2. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

Hello! So I'm working on my hack and I want the Title Screen to load after the player finished Green Hill Zone.

So how exactly do I do this?

3. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Look at "GameModeArray" or something like this, and you'll find the way to do it.

And you have to create a check, that when GHZ is finished, set game mode to titlescreen, and then a check to make (example), Marble Zone loading when you push start on the title screen.

EDIT: Ow shit, i got confused, because I thought he wanted to load the level before the title screen and not to return to the title screen after the level. I'm sorry. :p

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Niko and TheInvisibleSun like this.
  4. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Um, the game mode array has nothing to do with anything, you have to edit the score tally object (3A), as I said in IRC/Discord.

Ashuro and TheInvisibleSun like this.
  5. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

You guys are both right, no? If he's using Hivebrain, he would need to actually look at the array to know the number of the gamemode to change it to.

Niko and MarkeyJester like this.
  6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

The same problem would apply if he were using the GIT version, and is new to it, he'll need to know the exact letters, characters, case, underscores, etc, for the game mode equate name.

TheInvisibleSun likes this.
  7. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Or you know, just make GHZ3 go to GHZ1 in level order array, and the code will put the game in SEGA screen. You could also make the object 3A change the game mode to title screen instead of SEGA screen.

8. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Why do AS macro assembler ocassionally break relative addresing at random locations?
    Workarounds could be made to control the symptoms, which is super unhealthy practice; it is necessary to fix this issue from root, but so far we don't know any reliable way to find the cause either

9. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Because the assembler is garbage and the community clings to the unmaintainable clusterfuck? The thing's source is a mess, the assembler core is inconsistent and prone to erroneous assembling of valid code, and fixing it will probably require rewriting a sizable portion of its assembler core, and likely break compatibility with other languages in the process, as it's written to handle dozens of languages, all with their various quirks. You can try reporting to the maintainers, but who knows if they'll actually do anything about it. Really, your options are either hackarounds, or find another assembler.

FireRat, AkumaYin and AURORA☆FIELDS like this.
  10. Burst

So I need a other disassembly instead of the Hivebrain one, huh? Can I at least port the layouts to this new disassembly or do I have to begin again?

11. LazloPsylus

Academy City
    ...At what point was it said that a new disassembly would be needed for what you want? The disassembly you chose should work fine. The only changes in instructions are often label names. With a bit of ingenuity, you should be able to piece together what's needed.

AkumaYin likes this.
  12. Burst

So, I tried everything now. I changed the game mode to the Title Screen or the Sega Screen, but I still get out on Marble Zone, instead of SEGA or Title Screen.

13. AkumaYin

AkumaYin Well-Known Member Exiled

To echo Lazlo's post, I would highly recommend just steering clear of AS entirely. It's complete horseshit and causes more headaches than it's worth. If your only reason for sticking to it is z80 asm, then look this way.

14. Burst

Anyways guys, with the Help of Ashuro, I could add it!

Ashuro likes this.
  15. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

Wasn't AS Macro Assembler bad enough that anyone took this fact for granted? :p
    Anyways, a working hackaround that DiscoTheBat discovered... to re-set CPU 68000 next to any RESTORE. That seemed to do the trick, still ugly.

16. LazloPsylus

Academy City
    You know, I thought that, but apparently people are really attached to that assembler. I mean, I get the convenience of inline multi-language support, but is it really worth the myriad of syntax and weird assembler-level behavioral quirks to work around? Not trying to start an argument with the AS supporters, but I'm really not getting the appeal for it past the one feature that kinda gets buried because of all the flaws.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Functions and character sets.

18. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

yawn. I can easily emulate the second with a simple macro, and the first one I can also work around with macros.

TheStoneBanana, AkumaYin and Devon like this.
  19. LazloPsylus

Academy City
    Since I'm honestly trying to grasp what you mean, can you please give examples, MainMemory? Not trying to be malicious, I just want to understand.

20. BurningFlame

BurningFlame Bang! Member

Is there any limit of objects on level? Half of Act 1 Objects got deleted somehow and I don't know what to do. plz halp

EDIT: Adding objects again will be very long and damn boring process

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017