SonLVL

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by MainMemory, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Thinking of upgrading SonLVL and associated programs from .NET 3.5 to 4.x. Does anyone use them on Windows XP?

2. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I just had reset my computer, (good thing for external drives), I downloaded the sonlvl updater on my windows 10, kicked it up to get everything, sonlvl works (and so far windows defender & McAfee has not taken it)
    I kick up Level converter & it crashes on startup.

3. MainMemory

Yeah, I don't understand why, but it works if you rename the EXE file.

4. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

It's Strange, but it worked. Thanks.

5. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

Bug Report:

After updating SonLVL today whenever I try to load a level I receive an error that reads "Unhandled Exception MissingMethodException"

I tried to report it through SonLVL multiple times however I keep getting 404 errors after hitting submit

6. MainMemory

Uh, SonLVL doesn't have a bug reporting system like that anymore. It should just be sending you to the GitHub Issues page. I think you may have somehow gotten a Frankenstein-type combination of an old EXE with the new API or something.

7. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

That would explain why Mcafee kept on removing the file before I made it an exception which is weird because I installed the latest update, anyway I fixed this issue by redownloading SonLVL (with it's latest update), now the levels load just fine

8. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Would it be feasible to add a feature that loads object mappings that are based on the level art, so that they're updated when data is shuffled around in Sonlvl? It would make dealing with things like the EHZ platforms a bit easier.

9. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Is it me or SonLVL doesn't auto-calculate angles for ceilings and sides properly? When I used the automatic calculator for angles it worked pretty well to calculate the angles for the floor-based collisions, but when I tried to calculate the angles for ceiling-based collisions and sideways-based collisions, the editor configured the angles incorrectly, so Sonic wasn't able to pass through these blocks. I fixed this by doing the calculation of these angles all manually, which was real hard and time consuming. By any chance this bug would be fixed in a next update, please?

10. MainMemory

@Pacguy Maybe? I suppose that would also solve the issue of the "Delete Unused Tiles" feature being unsafe to use.

@Robot Echidna Well if I'm doing it wrong, then I have no idea how to do it right.

11. Pacca

I've stumbled on another hiccup in the art importing system. It's not nearly as major as last time, but it is a tad annoying...
    [​IMG]
    The right side of this image imports perfectly fine into Sonlvl. The left side, however, has minor issue.
    [​IMG]
    It's difficult to see at first, but some of the shading was lost. I'm using Hidden Palace Zones unedited palette data from the Simon Wai beta. It's not too big of an issue to fix by hand, but I plan to import several more chunks like this...

EDIT: On further notice, several colors were mapped incorrectly. Also, the left side actually doesn't import all that well, but it has good reason to fail; HPZs' default palettes don't allow purple and green on the same tile.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  12. MainMemory

If you want to ensure that SonLVL picks a specific palette line for an image, use a palettized image.

13. Pacca

It actually appears to be using the correct palette line. Both the original HPZ blocks and the imported ones use Pallete line 2, it's just that the colors within that line are incorrectly mapped.

14. MainMemory

Well since we're ruling out an incorrect palette selection, barring a catastrophic failure of the extremely simple color matching algorithm, the most likely cause of incorrect color assignment is that the colors in your image do not match exactly with the colors in SonLVL's palette.

AURORA☆FIELDS and Pacca like this.
  15. Pacca

Would it be possible to add the ability to make custom ini files for Level Convertor for object conversion? I've been porting/recreating objects from the level I'm porting in, but transferring the objects is currently quite the hassle. I either have to use the "Convert known objects only" option, then carefully reposition all the other objects that aren't covered in that case by hand, or I have to "Convert as is", then manually fix all the objects to use the ids of the ones I've made and then manually fix monitors, rings, spikes, springs, etc.

Either way is a lot of unnecessary work that could easily be fixed by some customization options. It wouldn't have to be too fancy either; a list along the lines of "ObjectIDNumber = NewObectIDNumber" would be perfect, and do everything that any one would need it to do.

16. MainMemory

No it wouldn't. For example, monitors' subtypes are different in every game.

AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.
  17. Pacca

I mean that it would help with porting other custom objects not supported by Level convertor for obvious reasons. For example, I have most of GHZs enemies ported to Sonic 2, but those S1 enemies are objects that level convertor will usually delete...

18. MainMemory

Honestly I've been wanting to completely rewrite LevelConverter for a long time, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work in the way I want, so I just kind of leave it alone.

KCEXE and Pacca like this.
  19. Pacca

Is there support for multiple .user.ini files? My current project has an absolutely ludicrous amount of editable zones in it, and its' starting to become a hassle to edit the .user.ini file. To put things into perspective, I essentially have four copies of all the used S2 zones + Hidden Palace Zone (with unique graphics/mappings/etc), and I'm preparing to do the same with Sonic 1, and possibly even more zones. It's getting quite cluttered...

20. MainMemory

No, you can only have one user ini to go with each main ini.