Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Sega Data Compressor, KENSharp etc. Any compressor available over on the Retro wiki or around here will be able to compress the basic formats.

2. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I compressed the .asm mappings to enigma .bin Mappings & it made a garbled mess of the title graphics
    [​IMG]
    If I were to use the Sonic Title art & mappings instead of making a Castlevania logo, how would I go editing it's mappings since SonMapEd won't load this?

3. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Assemble the ASM file into a binary file and compress that.

4. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

I'm not a SMPS expert, but without much time left and focusing on lots of different things at once, I have a weird question. Is there any "updated" or "modern" version of smps2asm_inc, that can be used to generate actual s1smps-compatible files? No changes in the format, only original output.

5. Devon

There's Natsumi's SMPS2ASM, in which you can create a script to export music in the way you want. You are also not limited to the default macro and constant names.

FireRat likes this.
  6. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

you can just have that smps2asm inc file be included with the asm music and build a ROM which is just the SMPS data. For 68k SMPS drivers this is all you need to do.

AkumaYin likes this.
  7. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I think I might be misunderstanding something. Flamewing's SMPS2ASM can already output S1 music. That's what the SonicDriverVer setting is for.

8. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

no change... maybe I should just try to change the Sonic The Hedgehog title graphics..... Probably Building maps up, export, then edit using paint.net Then overwrite the art... oh well...
    oh yeah... what would cause the deletion of SonLVL on it's own?

9. Clownacy

Antiviruses don't seem to like SonLVL, so some of them automatically erase it.

10. Trinitronity

Trinitronity Well-Known Member Member

Alright, so...I'm in quite a dilemma with SonLVL and replacing art in Green Hill.
    I'm trying to replace the GHZ palmtrees with pinetrees. However, when I tried to replace the palmtrees with the Hill Top pinetrees, it turned out that the HTZ pinetrees were too big.
    Especially the trunk of the HTZ pinetrees, which is 2 tiles big, while the trunk of the GHZ palmtrees are 1 tile big.
    So I would need new custom pinetree art...and not just sprited, but also already inserted into GHZ as the palmtree replacement, because with entirely custom art, I would have to insert it manually by recreating it by hand pixel by pixel, and GHZ has the problem where the tileset is way too confusing for me to do any art changes outside of changing the ground pattern a bit.
    So yeah, this request my sound really weird and may also sound like a lot, but sadly, the future of my Sonic 1 hack actually depends on those pinetrees.
    aka as long as I don't get them, the hack can never be truly considered finished
    So yeah, sorry if I'm bothering anyone, but I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me out there... >_<
    Thanks in advance!

11. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

This isn't the thread for requesting people do work for you, this is a thread for asking a question and getting an answer. There's a thread designed for asking for work being done for you, you should use that instead.

AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.
  12. Trinitronity

Trinitronity Well-Known Member Member

Oh...because Shannon and Ozaleto told me this thread would be the correct one...
    So...where should I post my request instead? Because I don't see any other place where I could post it

13. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

Hello everyone!
    I've recently been tinkering with the Sonic 3 Disassembly, and added a 'new' character (well really a glitch character that could be achieved using GameShark), Blue Knuckles. Now, Blue Knuckles unfortunately doesn't do well in Angel Island Zone, and by that I mean he cannot complete it - Act 1's boss can't be reached without debug mode, and Act 2's boss room barrier insta-kills him regardless of which room he goes in.
    So, in the case of the Sonic 3 Disassembly, if my character is character #4, how could I get the game to go "oh, instead of Angel Island Zone, let's spawn him one level ahead"?
    Thanks.

14. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

15. Shano

Shano That Discord/IRC Staff person. Member

Gonna say, I 100% agree with ol Xealie on this one. And while I will answer your question, I'm gonna level some constructive yet blunt stuffs out. I would honestly just use a level select code or game genie ( not Gameshark, the Genesis didn't have a Gameshark, it had Game Genie and Pro Action replay ) to skip ahead. In all honesty though, and don't quote me on this, I'm not at all familiar with S3K... you likely should not be using that character slot that just seems to be a garbled glitch catastrophe. This thread is for general help with hacking and hack resources and while it could be argued by technicality that your question just barely counts... this reeks of bad idea and something that should not be done via disassembly. Just stick to stuff like exploit/cheat devices and other cheats for this.

ALSO GODS XEAL. I'M A BUSY LADY. WHEN I SAID I'D GIVE INPUT ON SOMETHING GIVE ME SOME TIME. :v

AkumaYin and Soldaten like this.
  16. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

what is the compression for the level tiles, blocks, and chunks for sonic disassembly Project Two-Eight? (not kram or kingOfHarts)

17. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Should be Kosinski, like they always have been. One of the few very consistent things with the Sonic engine.

~E~: Pfft, go figure my memory's slipping on that. Go with Novedicus's answer.

18. Devon

Level tiles are in Nemesis and blocks are in Enigma, like Sonic 1 originally had it as.

MarkeyJester likes this.
  19. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hello. I noticed that my hack Sonic & Ashuro doesn't work in Android emulators.

Look at this:

I tested it too and yes, it doesn't work properly.

Anyone know about this problem?

EDIT: In fact, there is the same issue in all PC emulators except for Kegafusion .__.
    Oh my god.... .___.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  20. Clownacy

I actually found the cause while writing my Hacking Contest review. For some reason, you're DMA-ing $300 bytes to CRAM during V-Int, when you should only be doing $80.