Sonic 1 - Comet Edition v2 (Beta/Demo)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by B. Comet, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B. Comet

B. Comet Is fun still infinite? Member

Sorry for the double post. But I needed to post a little thing here, if someone is slightly interested.

This hack is cancelled.
    Since my PC got broken some time ago. Everything about the hack have been lost and I don't have predictions to come back to hacking anytime soon.
    Funny thing is, I am in this year SHC just because I confused to deadlines to submit the hack and uploaded it earlier then I intended, you may call that luck, I guess...
    I still have plans to do a new hack, with more fleshed out ideas and some little things im mind.
    As for now, enjoy the latest version available in the SHC website, with a several amount of thing fixed taking in mind the feedback I got here and from other places, and leave some comments if you want.

Being poor just sucks... Sucks hard.

2. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

What's the damage? If the hard drive's data is in tact it's possible to recover it.

3. B. Comet

B. Comet Is fun still infinite? Member

Nope. It's just completely wasted.

4. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

This hack is rather good, though certain things in it needs to be be analyzed more deeply. I like how the art direction is unique and clearly shows your specific touch in every single detail, especially looking at the mechanized (or industry style) Marble Zone. Both your GHZ and your MZ are not linear and are very explorable by all the possible sides, which make your hack keeping up the original aesthetical purpose that comes with any known Sonic game in terms of level design.

But as I said certain things needs to be analyzed in a deeper way, and these are especially pointed to the use of the chunks in the level layout design. In GHZ, when I reached the top of the cut trees, I found at least three parts using the wrecking ball as damageable object as obstacles, which is OK, but it's used consecutively with not much of a change between them. MZ looks cool but the constant use of the chained platforms makes the stage to lag in some parts and generates some known Sonic 1 problems as the sprite limitation which makes objects to not to appear properly. In MZ especifically, you should have made more use of the solid blocks and the ones that fall from the ceiling but instead of them, you preferred to use the spiked chaindeilers or the stompers.

The two levels presented by the hack are overall great, being the most exceptions I found were these I mentioned. Those were your choices though, but I'm sure you're open to feedback and that you'll look at these details in future versions of your hack.

As about the art direction... Yes, it's very original and artistically brilliant even they being just revamped versions of the original levels. Though for the music department this hack was kind of in debit with this, because such amazing levels should have some unique music or even some SMPS remixes of the original songs as was mentioned by some of the people here, though the way you had used the Sonic 1 songs was pretty nice.

I really want to see more of this hack in the future. I know that very good things will come with your artistic touch in the other levels. You did a pretty good job in these two stages. Keep up the originality you has, you have a lot of it.

NiphFM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.