Project Richter

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by warr1or2, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

So far, all it is, is Richter in Sonic 1.
    Using the Two-Eight Disassembly, MegaPCM, Addressed Music.
    No HUD (Cause I'm trying to create new HUD)
    Levels edited (some need changing still)
    You play as Richter Belmont from the CASTLEVANIA series (hence the title reading this instead of Sonic The Hedgehog)
    There are bugs, Graphical and soundwise
    Shield now is Energy, some monitors don't work)
    Extra controls
    A - jump
    Up+A (in air) - Slash (sound glitch 1)
    B (in air) - "Skewer" (incorrectly done, uses Jumpdash)
    Video -
    I have also planned for completely converting it to a Castlevania game (which still known as a Sonic 1 hack)
    ex Controls
    B - Whip (can be done in air and ducking)
    C - Weapons (Can be done in air and ducking)
    Orb will replace the animal capsule
    Gaibon for Stage 1 Boss
    Scrap Brain will remain and Robotnik will still be boss
    Collecting all emeralds and procedding to end, credits and title will go to Hidden Palace Zone, which the Master Emerald will transport to True Boss, Dracula

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

I really don't think you should have released this hack in this sort of condition. Many things seem to be broken and extremely unfinished.
    Also that broken PCM for when you get hit in the game really hurts my ears...

3. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

There is an obnoxious death pit at the very beginning that's very easy to launch yourself into (I died there twice in a row just because I was trying to go forward like usual). The level shouldn't funnel you into a death pit with speed like that, especially with a huge wall behind it (I had to clip up onto it when I actually stopped and tried to jump up).

Also, the checkpoints are invisible? I guess it'd be fine if they were nothing more then silent level checkpoints, but they still make a sound and display graphics when passed by. Is that intentional?

I have no idea what the rules for taking damage are. I purposefully got hit multiple times in one level, and nothing happened, but on the next, I died instantly. You should have finished the HUD before releasing this IMHO, it would have cleared a lot of confusion and made it easier to tell what's going on. Furthermore, the monitors can't be broken. Intentional or not, not being able to break the monitors is kind of an odd thing to have, especially since they are intentionally placed in your layout. The ring monitors could at least increase your health or something...

I let the Title Screen demo play while I was writing this, and it crashed when the Special Stage loaded. Might want to fix/remove that ;)

You should have worked more on the move set before releasing this. I know I sound harsh, and I really don't mean to be, but this needed some more time in the oven. I appreciate the effort that went into it; the two moves that are in the hack work, and the character art and animations are very nice. You did a great job there. The issue is their just isn't enough to make this hack interesting to play yet; the first level is still stock GHZ, and the two moves are good, but they aren't enough to really change the experience. I say add most of those planned features in, then release it.

That said, I'm excited to see what comes of this; I know a friend who would adore this hack once it has all the character moves added :p

breakthetargets and ProjectFM like this.
  4. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Richter can still roll.

Anyway, I've been following the progress of this hack since I first started back in 2014 and I find it very underwhelming that the first release in three years is something I could probably replicate in about a week. I like how Richter is animated, and I thought his moves were cool before I realized that they were just a jump dash and double jump, both of which I find to be overpowered. I'm interested in seeing how you get around the issue of Richter being unable to damage stuff when jumping. In my opinion his move set is unfit for Sonic games, but I'm sure that modifications could be made to make his gameplay more fun.

AkumaYin and breakthetargets like this.
  5. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

If you're going to take a shit somewhere on the forums, the restrooms are over on the le- oh wait that's right there aren't any here, which doesn't mean you blow a little drywall out in the corner and start doing some shoddy plumbing. How this is what you have to show after what is 3 years of dev time is pitiful. I'm not going to regurgitate what's already been said about this mess aside from the fact that the broken sound for getting hurt is very fucking annoying. Put some actual polish into this and make this feel somewhat proper and enjoyable. Don't fill your bowl with rotten meat and pass it around the dinner table.

HackGame, KCEXE, AsuharaMoon and 2 others like this.
  6. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

I have been trying to fix the sounds, but everytime I done so (still trying), I get worse sound glitches
    I plan on changing the checkpoints, just haven't figures out into what yet, I am open to suggestions
    I plan on changing Rings into Hearts.
    Richter gets hurt 10 times before dying, Shield monitor should give energy
    I'll look into that
    EDIT: what emulator are you using, I used Kega Fusion & the special stages work fine
    I have been working on move sets, but been having trouble coding them in
    Too much and long hiatuses, computer bugs, and FLEAS in my room where my XP Desktop is what done this.
    back in june on my birthday My sis got me a laptop and I transferred everything into it, and got somewhat restarted on it. I admit I have gotten somewhat rusty

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. HackGame

HackGame The ROM Hacker Member

Justifying the problems doesn't really excuse the major problems of a hack. If it's terrible, then don't release it. Why post it anyway? To me, a few years of "work" you did isn't worth it by looking into the hack. I suggest you should restart your hack to have a more fresh start, because in my opinion, I didn't think the hack will be this messy..

AsuharaMoon and LordXernom like this.
  8. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

3 years this project had too many bugs, I started over several times.
    It went from Sonic, Naruto & Richter with all characters as one object, to sonic & richter with both as same object, to being 2 objects, in comes game breaking bugs, so last year this became a stand alone hack after starting over, FRESHLY I might add (new disassembly) and I have finally gotten this far with 1 game breaking bug which I fixed.
    Now the Prison Capsule triggers end of act with no explosions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.