Sonic 2 SMS Title Screen mappings format

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by pixelcat, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

Now, this is not a guide per se, because I don't have the time to make a good guide. However, the information presented in these notes may be useful for you, so it doesn't hurt to just post my notes here. Good luck I guess :V

Only the small area in the middle of the screen is properly editable, it's 20x18 tiles in size. Tile mappings are in /mappings/intro_title/mappings_title.bin Open them in the hex editor of choice.

There are 360 tiles in the whole file. Each one is represented like this:

TT MM

TT is the tile's id in hex. You can find a list of tiles by opening them in Aspect Edit.
    MM is the tile's orientation. 01 -- normal, 03 -- Xflip, 05 -- Yflip, 07 -- XYflip. Everything else makes the tile appear blank.

Beware:
    • moving parts of the title screen are sprites
    • leave the first row of tiles blank (UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO DISABLE "PRESS START" FLASHING)

2. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Tossed this into Discussion and Q&A because it's more fitting as general knowledge. Still a good topic tho.

pixelcat likes this.
  3. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Lady in red, living in dread. Member

This was so helpful for me. Even if Sonic Project Aspect is being MAJORLY restructured (with a dumb side project of mystery), and no longer having time travel due to being too ambitious, I am still very hopeful of it being a major graphical marvel. I will likely move it to Sonic Chaos's engine whem a full disassembly is made of said game.

Ravenfreak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.