The SSRG-XF2 Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by LazloPsylus, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Funnily enough, one of my prime complaints with the Git disassemblies are that they *don't* have any standard. Shit changes between them like crazy, no standard assembler, no standard macro operations, nothing. It's essentially a headless train, hoping that people hang on. It's not to say the Git disassemblies didn't bring some improvements with them; it's that the intent got muddled down into a mess that ends up alienating both crowds while finding an odd niche at the same time. Yeah, we'll never get 100% agreement on data splitting organization, but we can at least attempt to find a compromise of divide where a general consensus can work.

Honestly, the Git disassemblies have this problem where they try to be as ROM-accurate as possible, to the point that it becomes unfriendly to users. For research, that's all well and good, as the intent is to study and understand and document. To someone whose intent is to get in and modify, though, there's stupid hoops to go through because people pored over bit-for-bit accuracy to the point of assembler hackarounds and other engineering to make it assemble exactly as the original ROM. There's plenty room for disassemblies that try to be consistent in labeling and data division, as well as not being anal and self-defeating with perfect build accuracy. But this is something that requires a lot more proper discussion and hashing out to get in a more solid state, so I'll leave it there for now. I've really thought through the subject, though, and I'm sure others have as well, and there's plenty of space for a happy medium that bridges the divide between the old and new and make things forward-compatible.

I've mulled on similar, actually. The current username changing system is abused to crap, and it makes identification of users a total pain in the ass. This is unhelpful and unintuitive, and the feature may be steadily phased out entirely. We'll give word on a final decision regarding that, but your issues are pretty solid with the name-changing.

ProjectFM likes this.
  2. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Well ok, a long time ago, I remember a lot of talk about replacing the old Pro Users group with a few groups, to emphasize on specific knowledge and contribution to the community, to recognize people for their specific talents, and to promote advancing the community and helping other people learn. While I've forgotten the exact details of this discussion (you could probably dig up pars from Discord logs), generally the idea was the create new groups for people good with; ASM, art, music, level design, and maybe something else I've forgotten. At the time I and few others thought it would be a good idea for the future going forwards, but it just never came. I've bugged Lazzie a few times and understandably he is quite busy, especially because of XF2 now.

There were also some other ideas floating around in the early days of XF integration that never came to be a reality, and I dont remember many of them off the top of my head unfortunately. Something that came later, was that XF just destroys tabs in the normal editor, and only in the text-only editor they are correctly preserved, and this is a major bug imo, considering that it is standard for assembly files to use tabs over spaces.

ProjectFM and NiphFM like this.
  3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

The Staff Projects section should accessible when logged out for people who aren't members.

Edit: Also the Mod Database section in the Submissions section should be removed because the only thread there features the rules and was written ten years ago.

4. Soldaten

Soldaten The Coilgun Root Admin

Reminder XF2 is releasing in a matter of weeks so if you still have anything you'd like to suggest please let us know!

5. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

This may be an odd request. But I feel like should have been added. Add some god damn denuvo.

Anyway what I would like to see really is a customizable background for the forums. (Dunno if it's a thing that can be implemented or not.) Or customized themes instead of blue and white. (Not ones that you just get.)

AkumaYin likes this.
  6. AkumaYin

AkumaYin Well-Known Member Exiled

I liked the way users could change the background on their profile page back when we were still using the IPB board. It's not important at all, but would be a neat thing to see again in the future.
    Agreed; maybe a sort of customizable style sheet per account would work?

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

Wasn't a custom theme mentioned in the past and already one is in the works? I assume it won't be finished for a while though.

8. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

It wasn't really custom but there was a question regarding themes. I just took it up for more customizable features.

9. Soldaten

General reminder this place is still open. Any more tidbits that we could attempt to squeeze in before we roll out would be nice.

10. Pineapple Arse

Pineapple Arse I ironically hate cold temperatures. Member

This may sound weird, or it may not even be possible, but an option for a dark/night theme would be nice, as for it's hard to look at SSRG at night with its bright colors.

11. Soldaten

We do have 3 dark themes in place at the moment.

AkumaYin likes this.
  12. Keiro

Keiro The Fluffy One Root Admin

Let me know if you have any paid add-ons that you want taken care of. I'll fund those.

13. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I do have a mod in mind that I want, wonder if you'd get it. Just need to see if the XF2 version is out.

14. Keiro

Keiro The Fluffy One Root Admin

What mod is that? Let me know where/what it is and I'll check it out and get it. Hopefully an XF2 version is out as well.

15. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Considering I mentioned the upgrade in a recent Site News thread, it's probably a good idea to remind people about this thread.

16. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

This is minor, but would it be possible to make the time and date formats customisable? I'd really like to use the 24-hour format for the time, just like I'd like to use a sane order (e.g. day/month/year or year/month/day) for the date.

17. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Definitely looking into that as an option. Can't promise anything, but will definitely take into consideration with some of the modifications I'm assessing to install.

nineko and Crimson Neo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.