Sonic 2 CD Remix

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Pacca, Jan 5, 2018.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

You could perhaps make it a different type of race then, (vertically oriented, more relevant to Knuckles' abilities) that would include climbing/gliding segments? Unless something like that is a bit too much/out-of-scope for the project.

ProjectFM and AkumaYin like this.
  2. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I'm considering doing a little something extra with it, but I still want Knuckles to have access to the race. I can't guarantee anything at this point, but I do have some ideas...

TheInvisibleSun likes this.
  3. Pacca

*Totally not a double post*

4. Pacca

5. Narcologer

Narcologer Hell angel Member

A large number of ASM gimmicks to make S2-SCD mix looks really great and surely deserves SHC18 trophy. Nice work!

ProjectFM likes this.
  6. Pacca

When I saw how much free VRAM Hill Top Zone had, the first thing that came to mind was "The past needs more dinosaurs"!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And yes, those Angel Island Zone plants are fully animated.

Narcologer, Niko, KCEXE and 5 others like this.
  7. Pacca

8. TheInvisibleSun

Awesome job! I also agree that the time posts would be a good default, being true to CD and all.

I love the new time travel option by the way (thanks for adding it!), although I did imagine it working similar to the rising/lowering platforms in Lava Reef, with the character spin dashing between two spinning "wheels". Perhaps you can add some stars around it to know it's happening?

This is looking great sir, keep it up!

ProjectFM, MarkeyJester and Pacca like this.
  9. Pacca

10. Pacca

[​IMG]
    Where did Sonic go :'<

11. Pacca

12. Pacca

[​IMG]
    Special thanks to Lone Devil for providing Metal Sonics' art and mappings data!

You would not believe how much trouble I went through to get that results text working; the "B" character uses Tails' unused VRAM space X3

NiphFM, Niko, EMK-20218 and 3 others like this.
  13. Pacca

14. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

Wow, progress looks good as always!

The Metal mode is pretty unique, trying to get the bad futures isn't something I'd expect to have seen but it's actually pretty neat. I like it.

As for the Sonic 1 zones... I'm not too concerned about seeing them. As neat as it would be it is Sonic 2 CD Remix and you should work on the Sonic 2 zones first, but it would still be neat if for example, there was one act of Green Hill as an Easter Egg. (Hidden somewhere in Emerald Hill maybe?)

The Emerald Hill Past + Bad Future remixes by IzzyKart, I have no real feelings one way or the other. While they aren't bad I did prefer the versions from the unstable demo. (I'm assuming these are apart of the multiple soundtrack feature.)

Overall I'm liking where this is headed, and I'm enthusiastic to see the next version.

(Oh, and this is my first real post I guess, hooray for me.)

Quick edit: Removed a dumb word.

15. Pacca

If Sonic 1 zones were to be fully supported, I would change the name back to Sonic CD Remix, as the Unstable Demo was named. As it stands, I'll likely just focus on the Sonic 2 content, and start work on Sonic 1 zones after Sonic 2 has been finished/nearly completed.

I was planning to replace them entirely. If you'd like, I could release the prior versions I made myself; they're really nothing special, just some voice edits.

16. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

That sounds pretty good. I personally probably wouldn't use them (at the moment) as I don't know where I'd use them but someone would probably find a use for them. (You mean release them to be used by people right? If not then sorry, I'm not good at understanding things when there's a few meanings.)

17. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

@Pacguy I believe the problem is that the new SMPS tracks use pretty crappy instrumentation, and the mixing isn't the best. If IzzyKart is composing these remixes him/herself, perhaps we could team up and have them compose and myself SMPSify? It'd give me something to do (even though I still have to start the Stardust Speedway BF JP port for you. Sorry 'bout the delay...).

Also, can I say that the way Metal Sonic plays is really interesting! To be honest, I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to think of reversing the roles, as all the iterations of Metal Sonic that I've seen star him as a good guy (which he really isn't). I can't wait to play your hack once it's finished, the anticipation is killing me lol.

@RuthlessTheHooman Looking nice there! It's been cool to see your hack grow since last year, and I hope you continue to grow as a Sonic ROM hacker! Also, I see that Crabmeat in MMZ, nice job working with the PLCs!

EMK-20218 and Pacca like this.
  18. Pacca

Hm... From the suggestions I got previously, and my own impressions, the IzzyKart tracks seemed like a direct upgrade to what I had. I was actually thoroughly impressed by how well they mimiced the original songs.

But at the end of the day, it's not my opinion that matters. I can introduce you to IzzyKart later to see if their cool with collaborating.

NiphFM likes this.
  19. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

@Pacguy the Metal Sonic campaign should have Egg Robo in place of Eggman, imo. And Metal Sonic 3.0 (or otherwise some variation) in place of the Metal Sonic race.

RouRouRou likes this.
  20. TheInvisibleSun

@Pacguy I think that adding the Sonic 1 zones might be a bit much, to be honest. Maybe they could be short 1-act secrets or something?