General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Nocedk

Nocedk Newcomer Member

2. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

Wow, that looks really good! It's a shame there aren't many S3K hacks out there due to there being few guides and tools out there (Example: There isn't a Sonic 3 text code generator, but both Sonic 1 and 2 have them). These look really good, especially "Hydrocity." Looking forward to future updates on this!

..and I guess I better post something else since I'm here. I've done some work on Molten Metro Zone recently (It's my zone 3) and I guess I'll show you.
    Kemusi, and a bit of the background's facelift.
    [​IMG]
    The original background got demoted.
    [​IMG]
    He's angry because I'm still using the terrible old background in Act 3. (I'll change it later.)
    [​IMG]
    Also sorry, I don't know why Gator's jaw won't open. Probably something to do with the animations.

Edit: @Pacguy I like Metal Sonic's new feature, and as for a tube bug fix... Well I'm not good with asm but maybe you could create a flag when entering a tube that disables time travel until you exit? I'm not sure how they work, since I focus on Sonic 1. Hope I helped somewhat though.

Double edit: @Roxurface Something like this would be better?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Angel X, Niko, ProjectFM and 2 others like this.
  3. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

@Pacguy I could always use new Discord servers, so I'd love for you to set one up. I'd also like to help with the hack however I can. Metal's new feature is awesome, though perhaps a little too situational. . . I'd think it might be more balanced if it lasted a few seconds longer.

@RuthlessTheHooman I notice from your other screenshots that perhaps your palettes lack variety. I see lots of blueish-gray in most of them. Consider changing MMZ's palette to help it stand out. Perhaps you could take inspiration from Secret Base Zone from Sonic Advance?

EDIT: @RuthlessTheHooman That adds a little variety! I like that you don't use hard colors, everything seems to have a soft shade/light over it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. jubbalub

jubbalub Mania fanboy Member

5. pixelcat

pixelcat The Holy Cat Jr. Member

6. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

I have a few videos regarding an upcoming unnamed Sonic 2 SMS ROM Hack.
    So far, it's a small ROM hack, I changed all of the zone's palettes in some shape or form, I altered Sonic's color scheme and reducing space by making Sonic have a single palette regardless of zone (aside from Crystal Egg Zone, where he has a 'Super Sonic' palette), and I added the ability for the game to have more than 9 lives (thanks to Ravenfreak).

My next plans are to start working on changing the title card's palettes and the mapping to make new level names, and hopefully change the level order around.
    EDIT: I also plan on adding in Ravenfreak's Strike-Dash if he still has the source for it lying around. I might update it a bit though.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    RouRouRou likes this.
  7. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

[​IMG]

New secret object! What will this object do? Place your bets on the comments below!

Angel X, FохConED, Niko and 9 others like this.
  8. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

Is the object a cross between the balloon and Clamer? I envision it releasing spikeballs towards both sides until it's been bounced on and popped.

RouRouRou likes this.
  9. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Judging from the canonball object behind sonic, Im gonna guess a Ballon Canon?

10. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees Banned for being a fucking cockwomble Exiled

11. ProRunner

ProRunner Newcomer Member

That looks amazing Unlimited Trees. Great use of the Genesis/Mega Drive's color on those zones and the art style.

Will this be a full length hack or just a couple of zones?

12. VladJester2001

VladJester2001 Newcomer Member

13. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

Nice trailer! Very well put together (aside from glitches in Kega's video codec), you could become a good special effects artist!

EMK-20218 likes this.
  14. Tanman Tanner

Guys, I need some personal input on my level alteration of Green Hills Zone, Act 3 in Sonic 2 SMS.

How do you guys think it is? Is it good? Is it bad?
    If so, could you tell me what makes it bad? Is it a difficulty thing? Is it cheap placement? Is it appearance of the level overall?
    EDIT: Regarding some of the slopes having grass under it: The collision detection is a bit wonky for some reason with some of the slopes, and if the area under it doesn't have detection, it makes it easier for Sonic to get stuck. Until I find a block that ISN'T grass-covered that has the same properties, it will remain.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  15. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

It looks very easy and boring. There are no enemies, no alternate paths, and the challenge seems to be limited to a few sets of spikes blocking your path. There needs to be more hazards and platforming challenges to keep things from just being hold right and jump a couple times to win. The roll is part of Sonic's move set so I recommend that you give some reason for it to be used. If all you are doing is running up and down slopes to finish the level, the level is pointless.

Jdpense likes this.
  16. Tanman Tanner

Version Two:

I broke up your concerns into 4 main parts, which I numbered to make answering it easier for me.
    1. Considering I swapped out UGZ for GHZ as the first zone of the game, I insisted on making it easy so the player doesn't have to face GHZ's true difficulty (i.e. leaps of faith, spike pits, etc.). I did however focus on making it look prettier than the last bland presentation, but I can't say for sure it'd be what people may call 'prettier'.
    2. There are no enemies due to the fact other Boss Acts in all 5 of the 8-bit Sonic Games do not have enemies; in most cases, only spikes, traps, and perhaps a few rings (although as much as I would love to have them, and I might take you up on that for a different boss act in a later zone), and I agree on the more paths thing, which I plan on doing with ALZ 3 (since like GHZ, it's pretty tall in height imo). However, I disagree with the last point - the challenge of the act itself is the boss. I tried to tinker around with the editor to see if I can make him easier - either he's a left to right man or he can tell when the level around him was altered (which considering my original experience with the 16-bit bosses and level alterations, I'm impressed). But trust me, changes were made from version 1 to version 2.
    3. Again, as this is the 3rd act of the First Zone, I'd like to keep hazards on the low side. I might add in a hazard, but I'm doubtful. See 4 however for a way I counteracted "hold-right-to-win" esque level design.
    4. Funny you mention Sonic's roll - I had considered adding in breakable walls to Act 3, but I voted against it to putting in some background scenery for the tunnel sections (not guaranteeing I won't do it, just not right now). In regards to the slopes however, I added in some new features in version two to make it less of a walk in the park to the boss type of thing.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Niko and ProjectFM like this.
  17. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Sorry, I didn't realize it was a boss act. However, my point still stands that if you aren't going to give the player an obstacle or opportunity to get powerups, then you might as well skip to the boss. Just because it's a boss act and the first zone doesn't mean there shouldn't be obstacles in your way. First levels usually make things easier by making the obstacles less difficult to avoid, not lacking them entirely.

18. Tanman Tanner

Sorry for my late response.
    You are correct. Right now I'm trying to see what I can do to add in some hazards and perhaps a monitor box or rings. Expect a follow up later today or tomorrow.
    EDIT: Update!

Mini-EDIT: I was trying to work around with the object layout for the 3rd act, and I had to get a backup version of the object layout, because along the lines of altering it, I somehow fucked up the boss and how it spawns. I don't have a video of it happening, but basically the boss spawns, the boss falls through the ground, game crashes.
    EDIT 2: I'll throw in a little video for everyone, this was around the time I started shifting the zones around. It's been in my folder for a while, might as well let other people chuckle at this graphical garbage that happened.
    I call it 'Undergreen Hillsground Zone'.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Niko and maple_t like this.
  19. maple_t

maple_t Exists Member

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the first frame of the ring was taken directly from Sonic Mania (albeit with 4 colours instead of 5, like in Sonic Mania)
    I'm kinda curious if it's possible to add extra frames of animation for the rings, but this will do for now. How is it?

ProjectFM likes this.
  20. Tanman Tanner

Not bad at all. I almost thought it was a Sonic Mania Mod before I noticed Coconut's palette isn't Mania-esque.

maple_t likes this.