SonLVL

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by MainMemory, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Those animated mappings have always been a pain to work around; I'm glad to see some effort has finally been pushed to support editing them in the level editor, even if it isn't quite finished yet.

2. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

?

3. Pacca

Not the art itself; rather the mappings. They occasionally reference main level art, and can reference the wrong tiles when shifting art around. I never understood why Sonic 1 and 2 uses a separate mappings file for animated level art...

4. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Only Sonic 2 has special block mappings for animated art, and SonLVL does not and cannot edit them.

5. Pacca

Well darned, I got my hopes up :confused:

An interesting update, nonetheless. Also, you can probably tell how long it has been since I touched Sonic 1...

EDIT: I've recently noticed that objects don't render in the foreground layout editor. I could've sworn they did previously; is this some sort of bug?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  6. MainMemory

You probably have "Include objects with FG" unchecked. It used to be in the Export menu, but I've moved it to the View menu and made it affect the editor as well as exporting.

Roxurface and Pacca like this.
  7. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Hi, I don't know if this idea has already been proposed or if you plan to do it, but would it be possible to add some kind of visual option to locate unused blocks and tiles more easily?
    Like in the picture, That would be really helpful! for example:
    idea.png

Bluestreak likes this.
  8. Pacca

"Delete Unused" seems to be trying to fill that hole. I see where you're coming from though; levels that have object art in the level artwork can't use the Delete Unused feature without damaging the object art, so a way to find unused tiles and pick them out yourself would be nice.

Ashuro likes this.
  9. Ashuro

Yes, that's exactly it, that's why I'm asking for an option like this one, because that's what just happened to me: object tiles deleted. x)

10. MainMemory

Well, the Usage Counts dialog will list unused tiles with a count of 0.

Ashuro likes this.
  11. Ashuro

Oh, okay, thanks haha!

12. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

I'm editing collision, but can't seem to get my edits to commit, if that makes sense. I know it's saved because I've edited other parts of the layout, and I know it's the right chunk. Any clue why I'm still running into it?
    [​IMG] Capture2.PNG

13. MainMemory

That picture isn't terribly informative. As far as I can see, the collision should be saving along with everything else.

14. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

(Since this is the SonLVL's thread, I thought this would be the proper place to give these questions about the editor especially because other people could be running into the same questions, so...)
    I have some questions in hand.

First one is: Is there any setup guide or specific instructions for the usage of the SonLVL's SonAni tool? I tried to open a animation with this tool a couple times, but I failed in all attempts. I'm really wanting to configure some of my hack's animations in a better and easier way and this makes me really curious to experiment this tool, but I have no idea of how should I start to use it.

Second one is: Is there any way of porting solidity from pictures the way it's possible with the art itself or at least to make the editor to auto-setup solidity data when I port blocks from images?

Niko likes this.
  15. MainMemory

There is no specific guide for SonAni, the closest thing is this post that gives an example INI.

As for collision, you can provide an image with the same name as your art image with a _col suffix (or _col1 and _col2 for S2/S3K). If you check the "Export art+collision+priority" option in the Export menu and export blocks, chunks, or layout, you can see how it works.

EMK-20218 and Niko like this.
  16. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

There's some sort of issues with object appearances currently. Using the Sonic 1 Hivebrain dissassembly with supplied inis, on most recent versions.

I labelled the objects what they should be. A lot of other objects are working fine, but bridges and rings are among the ones that aren't.

upload_2018-7-15_2-18-15.png

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  17. MainMemory

The S1 2005 object definitions have not been updated to account for the API changes I've made recently, due to other projects taking my time and a general lack of interest. It shouldn't be too difficult to look at the changes that were made to the S1 GitHub object definitions and replicate the changes.

18. MainMemory

So, back near the start of February, Fred (Neo on Sonic Retro) contacted me to work on improving the object definitions for the S3K GitHub disassembly, the development of which has required me to add several new features to SonLVL, and 8 months later, nearly every single object in S3K's levels has a proper definition with properties, graphics, and even overlays showing movement and boundaries. This takes S3K from being the least complete of the main three to being the most complete.
    [​IMG]

19. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Is this going to be implemented to Sonic 1 by any chance?

AkumaYin likes this.
  20. MainMemory

Not by him, and probably not by me either. If you're volunteering though, you have my full support.

EMK-20218 and TheInvisibleSun like this.