General Screenshot/Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by redhotsonic, Jul 2, 2015.

1. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

Ooh, I'm liking how you can use the bosses' powers after you beat them! I can't wait to see Oil Ocean and Chemical plant.

Although, is there a way to just use the default Buster and save the boss weapons for later? It's probably in that "Spec" monitor but as I've only played Mega Man II (So far.) it would feel more natural to be able to switch between powers in the pause menu.
    But keep in mind I haven't played the Mega Man X series. I don't know if you can switch mid-stage during MMX or not. You also may not be able to because of limitations in the game itself.

Other than that, it looks really good! The new layouts seem interesting, and the bosses seem like they'll be a challenge once again. (After playing Sonic 2 so much, you just get used to what the bosses do.)

Also, I love the level select theme. It's just marvellous. I'm assuming it's done by JoenickROS since I think I've heard it in Return of Shadow. I might be wrong though.

Anyway, my laptop is about to die, so I should probably charge it.

Super quick edit: If you can't deselect a boss weapon, maybe that is where using A B and C for different things could come in use, or even 6 button support. Edit 2: Ah, you do use the A button. Makes sense.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Some of the initial wav samples I have to work with are slightly off pitch to begin with, and then I need to correct for Mega PCM, so they're a bit wacky at the moment. I'm not sure how easy they'll be to fix either (I can't seem to get the uncharged shot SFX to sound right at all). The Text in the middle idea is really good though, I'll likely end up just using that, since that screen has a lot of color limitations to it.

Weapons can be swapped on the fly by pressing the A button. You can actually see me switching between the X buster and HTZs' weapon after I've beaten the EHZ boss in the video. It cycles through all the weapons you have as you unlock more. I don't plan to make a fancy Mega Man styled pause menu yet, however.

It probably looks empty because the bush leaves are floating. Try connecting them with branches, it'll fill the space, and look more natural. Chaotixs' art is pretty good at making futuristic looking bushes with rounded leaf sections, and they're always connected by branches.

3. maple_t

maple_t Exists Member

I did what I could to give that darned bush some branches, heh.
    [​IMG]
    (On a side note, maybe I should use the normal ring graphics for now.)

4. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

5 years after the people's feedback, councils, suggestions and even people telling how it was shit, unfinished and etc, I decided to bring those art assets back. It was a very hard decision but I took it after re-reading what the public said while the youtubers shown the hack in the 2013 edition of the Hacking Contest, so I decided to finally to revamp these things. Removing the linearity, working better the chunks, completing the art, optimizing and fixing the engine and etc. This one screenshot here shows it was just the beginning of a long time work I started to do for really turn this hack into a good thing. I know that most of the people here became tired of waiting for the "always broken" project, but my current purpose is to finally to give it real improvement and to give to this thing a good end and make the people to finally to like its final version that will be released soon.

The Trophy earned by the hack in 2013 helped me to find where I was wrong and to not to waste the hack's potential. I really hope you to like it when the project becomes public.

[​IMG]

Unused Account, Painto, Niko and 6 others like this.
  5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

6. EMK-20218

Blue grass? Haha, not anymore.
    [​IMG]

7. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

I like the homage to "unlocking" moves via upgrades, but nobody likes playing as X without the dash move.
    Every game after X1 lets you dash from the start, but you do unlock the ability to dash in midair with a similar capsule upgrade. Similarly, most X1 hacks actually enable the dash by default as well.
    I'd recommend this method, but if you're going for pure X1 style, I can understand. Not sure about other MMX players, though.

That said, I'm not sure if it was already your plan or not, but if you plan on adding the upgrade capsules to make unlocking the armor akin to the X series, then I look forward to trying to find them scattered in the Zones that I'm otherwise tired of seeing from being the exact same every time.
    (The additional parts of the levels shown earlier, atop of the new gameplay style, already fix this.)

Also, just an idea, but you could put the dashing graphic over the running sprites so that the walk/run sprite rotation routine will also spin the dash graphic on loops. If X wasn't leaning so far forward in the sprite, I wouldn't mind, but that's just how that sprite is. Might look funny on slopes, but you can probably change the angle/"sensitivity" for the 45-degree rotation cue.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Unused Account and ProjectFM like this.
  8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

9. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

I really love the archived threads, there are some really interesting guides out there. So with the help of LJStar for the bomb icon, I took MarkeyJester's "Destroy All Enemies on Screen" tinkered it with a bit and got the bomb monitor. I'm not sure why everything pauses while it flashes, but I think it's just Pal_MakeWhite having priority over other things, besides sound. But at least I found a purpose for the S Monitor without actually having to use it! So expect this to appear in something I do later, maybe not, I'm just playing with guides and preexisting code for my 1 year hacking anniversary. Anyways, video time:

10. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

11. maple_t

maple_t Exists Member

I made a short video of me going on the fastest route for the first act of my hack, while also featuring a kind of loop akin to those used often in Sonic Mania, though I will probably use them a little less later down the line.

12. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

13. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

14. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

So this time around I made this item without guides or help. Just took the unused spring monitor art from Sonic 2's beta and mobile port. Added a few flags and things, and got this. My next goal for the item is to run on a timer instead of being lost when hit. My next planned item is to really push my skills, with a freeze monitor. Similar to the unused one in Sonic CD. Although I didn't get the same satisfaction as I did when adding the Bomb monitor. Strange since this was made from scratch while the bomb used a guide. I might write a guide on this later, but for now, here's a video.

15. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

I made another monitor, of course. So here it is. I really like working with the unused Sonic 1 monitors, they're quite interesting. Sure they don't have a defined function, but going off of assumptions should work. Also, I had forgot to add a sound effect for activating it. So I'll get to it.

EMK-20218, NiphFM, Angel X and 2 others like this.
  16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Avast ye ladies and gentlemen, the last one~

[​IMG]

...or is it...

18. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

Let me guess ...
    These are the images that will appear in the various modes?
    For example: will this appear in the options?

19. maple_t

maple_t Exists Member

So what I decided to do was play through act 1 and 2 of Emerald Hill Zone, and basically, this is the level layout for both until I can figure out how to change the camera bounds, and whatnot.
    Also there's a short teaser at the end showing the palette I made for Chemical Plant Zone

Angel X, RouRouRou and JoenickROS like this.
  20. EMK-20218