Sonic 2 CD Remix

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Pacca, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

I think that the best course of action is to simply finish all the Sonic 2 zones, then move on to the Sonic 1 zones once Sonic 2 is completed. That way, they won't drag out an initial full release, but still could potentially be added at a later date.

2. Pacca

If anyone has any ideas for fixing the spin tube glitches, I'd love to hear them. The object isn't well commented/labelled, and it relies heavily on registers, so I have a hard time figuring out what its' actually doing.

Angel X, EMK-20218, ProjectFM and 2 others like this.
  3. Pacca

4. Trakinas

Trakinas Newcomer Exiled

Pacguy this is amazing

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Well done Payguy,

I know I don't say this often, and while what you've done isn't much in the realms of originality, what I do admire is how well you've progressed, you've learnt so much and you are only proving your programming skills through every screenshot and every video, just every shot is one advantage from the last.

Keep at it, you are due to become one hell of a programmer eventually, and you deserve more response than you are getting~

6. Pacca

Something of a double feature, I suppose. I finished two entirely unrelated things today :p

7. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Very good work from Pacguy and also Unlimited Trees with his rather unique art work.

Regarding the Metal/Sonic fight, do you intend on implementing the Act 1 / Act 2 title card for Death Egg or would you rather roll everything into one act or even fade into the next act without the title card popping up again?

8. Pacca

The Metal Sonic fight technically occurs in Death Egg Zone Act 2, so modifying the Title cards to display acts would require me to hard code it to display the wrong act numbers just for Death Egg, or swap the acts around, which would require quite a lot of changes to the code. I figured it just wasn't important enough to go through all that. I've yet to figure out how to disable the title card during transitions though (it even appears during time travel, although I made it work out with the Past/Present/Future text at the bottom).

9. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I have looked at the code before for the title cards and it wouldn't be that hard to do a card swap I think.

Nice bridge badnik by the way. Some really good ideas in this hack, it's quite promising in many ways.

Pacca likes this.
  10. Pacca

11. SMS Alfredo

SMS Alfredo Compact Disc Enthusiast Member

Man that's pretty cool!

Although, it seems like a tad bit of a waste to have mechanic like that limited to only the bad future, so why not implement something similar in the good future? Here's my idea: have the good future start out as normal, but if you pull any of the switches, a gas will come out that super-charges your character! It'll fade after a while, so you'll need to keep going after those switches if you want the boost to last. Of course, seeing how Metal Sonic's bad future is his good future and vice-versa, you could swap the mechanics of the two futures when you play as Metal Sonic!

All this might seem a little redundant, considering that you can find Time Stones in the futures that can turn you super, but I thought it was worth sharing. Maybe with a bit of creativity you could try and come up with a different idea for what the good future gas does?

RouRouRou likes this.
  12. NiphFM

NiphFM Host of the Mega Drive Music Contest Member

Perhaps Oil Ocean Good Future could have a gimmick where the switch releases a fertiliser or something that could make a nearby plant grow and open up a new path?

Ideas aside, it's looking awesome Pacca! I'm really liking all these cool additions, especially in the options menu. Damn, that thing has a lot of customisation! If I have to say anything, I'd suggest you make the ring draining a little slower, since it seems really fast for me. I'm really looking forward to playing this hack in the SHC this year!

RouRouRou likes this.
  13. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

Hey Pacca, did some optical observation of the new update, I love it!

First off, SMS Alfredo mentioning Metal Sonic makes me think that he should be resistant to the gas, as he is a robot after all, and you have to earn the bad future.
    Seeing you use custom music gave me an idea, integrating a CD audio playlist. The way this would work is you could include some custom picks for songs in a zip file separate from the hack (In case some people don't want them.) and the playlist file (IIRC Kega needs it.) so people could turn the CD songs. Or if you can't pick, just put in the playlist and let people pick their own songs.
    Of course, that's only if the hack has been ported to Sega CD, I don't know it has.

Also, not related to any screenshots, but A-S-H. Changing your profile pic so people don't recognise you, you absolute mad lad. Someone better stop you before you get in trouble!
    Just kidding, awesome picture though.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  14. Pacca

That's certainly a creative idea! I'm not sure how to implement it in a way that would make sense though.

That plant idea is perfect actually! It's a shame that OOZs convoluted layouts make it really difficult to pull something like that off without completely breaking original layout sections. I'm glad you like it :3

I kind of want to keep the bad future more dangerous, even for Metal who has to unlock it. It just makes sense canonically, since they're typically filled with broken machinery and robotnik has been given the opportunity to do whatever he wants with the place. As for Metal taking ring drain, most robots and computers aren't exactly fans of dust and heat!

As for the Sega CD stuff, I still can't do anything along those lines right now. Lazlos been really busy and has been unable to get a functional mode 1 example program for me to build off of. Please don't bug them about it, the fact that they offered at all is far more generous then I could have hoped for!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    RouRouRou and NiphFM like this.
  15. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

And soap foam in the place of the oil.

RouRouRou likes this.
  16. Pacca

17. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

The playlist idea is "extremely original", huh? :p (Just kidding)
    Very well made. Although I don't like the palette changes in the zone's bad (appearantly bad) future. You're really making a very nice job. This hack is looking incredibly unique and beautiful. There's also one of the most funny and interesting credits screen I've ever seen.Its a wonderful job, man. Really wonderful! Keep it up improving, because it's damn great!

Pacca likes this.
  18. RouRouRou

RouRouRou Ain't no fun if the aliens can't have none. Member

I like a lot of the things in this update, the Chaotix soundtrack is something I REALLY like. I'm not a fan of the gameplay in Chaotix, but I love the soundtrack.

I really like Oil Ocean as a level, and using Volcano Valley's music for it works really well, but I can't help but feel that the fumes come in a tad too quick. Seeing some of your quick reflexes with Knuckles didn't really help, but I'll let it slide because the feature is cool anyway.

Also, I saw my name in the credits (Which are pretty cool by the way.) under object art (Oh yeah, I did that thing that time.) and now I have a massive goofy grin on my face. I really appreciate it.

Edit: An idea I had, that construction Badnik could be slightly modified to fit OOZ's Good Future. I think A-S-H had the original idea for plants.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Pacca likes this.
  19. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I would encourage you to make your own thread just like you did on Retro. If need be we can split the posts in here into the new thread where possible.

Pacca, EMK-20218 and TruffledToad like this.
  20. Pacca

I feel really uncomfortable making all these threads without an actual download link, but here goes nothing [​IMG] Feel free to merge all the old posts from the general screenshots thread here.

By popular demand, this has a thread now. Let me type out a rushed explanation of the project for anyone who's just stumbling upon it now...

Sonic 2 CD Remix is a rom hack of Sonic 2 that aims to add the Time Travel mechanics from Sonic CD into the Vanilla Sonic 2 zones. While the original levels are largely unmodified, their pasts and futures feature significant differences, including different palettes, and badniks. Alongside that, it attempts to "remix" the Time Travel formula by adding alternative options for time travel and adding an extra collectible that is exclusive to the future. It also includes a laundry list of options, as well as two new characters, Amy and Metal Sonic. Metal Sonic even has his own "story-line", in a similar fashion to Knuckles in S3K. Being the product of me working off and on for nearly a year, this short paragraph likely doesn't do the project justice, as even I occasionally lose track of what I've added too it (thank god for git :p)

Although nothing truly substantial has been released of this project beyond an extremely old and buggy prototype, I've made several videos showing the project off. I've compiled them all into a playlist, if you want to watch them all in one sitting.

Although a completion date is far from settled, a partial demo is planned for the upcoming Sonic Hacking Contest!

And here's some random screenshots to wrap things up, since any project thread would feel empty without them ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eukaryot, maple_t, Kilo and 5 others like this.