mid2smps

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by ValleyBell, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

This is great but, someone can help me with the tempo? I was working on some songs but the tempo is around of 160 and I don't know how to fix the tempo higher about 150.
    Anyway, the mid driver works fine in my FL Studio, very good ValleyBell really, thank you so very much.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. ValleyBell

ValleyBell Well-Known Member Member

In order to get fitting tempi, you may need to change the Ticks/Quarter and Tempo Divider values.
    For details, look at this post.
    You don't need exact BPM values for the SMPS. Something close to the intended tempo is enough.
    It is more important that the Ticks/Quarter value fits the notes used by the song.

Deactivated Account likes this.
  3. Roxurface

Roxurface Well-Known Member Member

Hey, love the program, but I've run into some kind of bug. I've been having a problem where I will export the smps, build the ROM just fine, then when I select the level with the new music my game gets stuck on black screen. There is nothing wrong with the midi nor the export as far as I can tell, the only thing I can think of as the cause is reopening a midi and re-exporting as smps without closing out of mid2smps. I will experiment further to see if this is it.

EDIT: It doesn't have to do with opening or leaving the program open, it seemed to be an issue with the program not recognizing a midi instrument. I was using the wrong "synthbrass" apparently. Make sure the instrument you choose has an SMPS equivalent, everyone!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. SMS Alfredo

SMS Alfredo Compact Disc Enthusiast Member

Question: is it possible to install the midi driver without admin permissions? It just seems kinda odd because I've been able to get most other plug-ins for the DAW I use (Reaper by the way) without needing to give anything permissions like that.

5. AkumaYin

AkumaYin Well-Known Member Exiled

That's because those are VST plugins and are installed differently, usually by just dropping the files into your DAW's plugin folder and refreshing. The midi driver requires admin privileges to install because it does so via the registry. It's also worth pointing out that it's optimal to use the driver on an administrator account in the first place because from my experience, activating it in your DAW causes a crash if the program isn't running under an admin user, and choosing to run as admin every time can be a hassle as you'll end up having to manually navigate to your user account's directory (and all shortcuts set in file explorer will be absent, which would be especially crippling to me as I use these often due to a convoluted file system).

6. ValleyBell

Well, here we have mid2smps 0.3.5. A release which I've been delaying (and forgetting about) for way too long.

Aside from bug fixes, it also includes a few features, namely:
    • support for up to 32767 melody and drum instruments each in a single GYB file.
      Bank MSB and LSB controllers can now be used in order to access more instruments.
      You can freely assign FM instruments to any combination of Bank MSB + LSB + instrument using the "..." button in 2612edit's "Instrument mappings" group.
      Important note: In order to support more instruments, the GYB format had to be upgraded to version 3, so any GYB files saved with the new version won't work in older ones. (mid2smps 0.3.5 can still open GYB v1/v2, of course.)
    • There is an "Auto-Reload" mode. Activate it and mid2smps will automatically reload the MIDI before converting. (→ resave the MIDI and just press Ctrl+S in mid2smps)
    • You can do global loops using Marker Events "loopStart" and "loopEnd" (Final Fantasy 7 PC style)
    • You can put the E2 coordination flag with MIDI CC #89. (→ used for synchronizing the game to the music in MJ's Moonwalker and Ristar)
    • There are options to disable the Chorus controller and pan law compensation.
      Note: You can't do that in the MIDI driver. It might come in handy if you use and FM VSTs though.
    You can download the Win32 Binary and the source code. (The latter includes the source of 2612edit and the OPN_DLL as well.)

I also updated the MIDI driver with a few fixes and GYB v3 support. (which I've been using a lot recently) It's also a bit more stable.
    You can get the most recent version as Win32 DLL or source code.

I actually wanted the next release to be v0.4, but I barely do any development on mid2smps anymore, so I'm just releasing what I have. There were a few features I wanted for 0.4 like post-processing commands and multiple drum kits, but that probably won't happen.

Anyway, enjoy music making!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Just a weird question. How do this auto-reload thing works? When I save changes in my MIDI while it's already opened in MID2SMPS the program will auto-detect the change then it will reload my MIDI automatically?
    Also, there's no chance of being made some kind of "selector" to be allow us to move the positions of instruments in the loaded bank so that we could make our banks more organized? (this sort of thing was possible in XM3SMPS Oergomized)

8. ValleyBell

Yes, that's exactly what it does.
    I didn't add any way to rearrange the instruments so far and I don't use mid2smps a lot these days, so I'm afraid the chances for something like that are pretty low.
    My main way of making it organized is bank msb/lsb assignment and I still have only about 200 instruments, so I didn't run into issues with that yet.

However, if I should want to work on it sometime, I'll have a look at xm3smps/oerg. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. Deactivated Account

About Marker Events, that editor are included in the Mid2smps or I must download that editor?
    The MIDI driver is good, what I do not understand is that about the Chorus controller and pan law compensation, you mean, AMS and panning?

EMK-20218 likes this.
  10. ValleyBell

Sorry, but mid2smps doesn't include anything to edit MIDI files. You will need an actual MIDI sequencer or MIDI editor that can insert those events - i.e. something that features a MIDI event editor.

The Chorus controller (CC #93) serves as an additional way to modify the volume in mid2smps. (It lets you reach YM2612 TLs of 0 to 7.)
    However, most people won't need it and it usually just screws up the volume when you take MIDIs e.g. from vgmusic.com. So I added an option to disable it.

Pan law compensation - if you don't know what it is, there is a high chance that you don't need to bother with that option.
    If you need details, read this post. Enabling it is equal to the "-3dB compensated" mode explained there. Unticking the option is "0db" mode.

11. Deactivated Account

Okay, I was saying than of you wrote that because I thought had included a MIDI editor.
    And I will see those effects, good work and congratulations ValleyBell, I hope the next version of this useful tool.
    Thank you :)

12. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Hey man, sorry for bothering you again with another suggestion, but I'm using MID2SMPS these days and I noticed the lack of something very simple but that could be very useful to the program. What about a key to listen to the voices making it to be previewed faster? Like just pressing the numerical * or space (per example) to immediately play the voice we're selecting from a file.

I mean, a pre-configured key that can be pressed to preview any FM instrument when it's selected in the drop-down menu. Because I find as kinda boring having to use the mouse and yet have to press the "preview" button to preview the instrument in the selected note.
    This way I could preview fast the voices while I'm selecting one between various instruments from the bank I'm analyzing.

13. ValleyBell

A key for quick preview might indeed be pretty nice. I may look into that. (Backspace should work nicely.)

Until then, you can just click the "Preview" button once and then press the "Return" key. This way the tone continues to play until you press Return again. (or click the button)
    When you switch instruments in the import list, it will automatically restart the tone. (This doesn't work in the list of instruments that are already in the GYB though.)