Pruning Old Threads

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Misinko, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

So we haven't had the ability to auto-lock threads for a bit now (which was the one good feature
    IPB had), which has recently lead to a few different threads being necro-bumped by unaware users. For the foreseeable future, I'll be going though the subforums to see which ones are roughly 6+ months old and locking them. As per usual, if your project thread is locked, and you need it unlocked for any reason, PM a staff member, and we'll get right on that.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

To be fair, a few didn't seem the "lockable" type, I was a little puzzled why this one was locked, I know it was bumped, but this seems like the type of thread that would be acceptable to bump. It's similar to one of those "lounge" types of threads, like the "post your desktop".

Could we allow exceptions for these types of threads? To lock them seems silly, and the only alternative move here would've been to make a brand new thread which seems wasteful, many newcomers may worry they'd get into trouble for making a new thread when a perfectly good one already exists, hell, might even be a motive for that guy in the thread I linked. It's just a suggestion though, it doesn't really affect majority on here mind.

3. TruffledToad

TruffledToad Mushroom says, mushroom does. Member

I'm with Markey on this one. I find it to be a shame when there's a fun thread that I find that I can join, and then find out that it was made like 6 months ago. I can't post on the thread, cause that'll lock it and probably get me in some trouble. I can't make a new thread just like it, cause I'd find that to be a bit redundant (although that's mostly just me). Also, what if it was locked and the person who made the thread is gone from the community? It just seems annoying. However, it brings a new problem, albeit not too big of one, but one that could be really annoying.

Let's say there's a person who wants to update a thread for a hack, project, etc that hasn't been updated for awhile might have that thread accidentally locked, or it could just be locked cause some dumbass decided to give feedback to a 10 year old hack that's been cancelled about 4 months in. Not only is it annoying for the person updating the thread, it's also annoying for the staff to clean up (I mean it might not be too big a deal, but I feel it would get really annoying after awhile.). I get that people have started to bump threads made 2 years ago more frequently, but I dunno. Maybe I'm just talkin outta my ass here. Maybe this isn't all too big a thing to get worked up about. Who knows? It's overall up to the staff, and if you guys feel that this will help the site, then you can (and probably should) do that, and I'll respect the decision. Just thought I'd offer my 2 cents around here. Not like I do anything else anyways.

4. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

We've had a few situations like this one in the past (I think I had one with the Origin of Your Username thread), and the general solution was to merge the threads. I see your point with the redundancy though. I may peruse through some of the older threads and unlock 'em if I think there's room for discussion, especially in the lounge.

This doesn't happen too too often, and it's nothing really major when it does. Like I burnt through 3 subforums in a half an hour just locking by date and didn't even break a sweat. I see your concern on the creator's end, however, but with project threads in general, it's kind of unfortunately necessary to prevent users from coming in way in after the fact and make simplistic responses about how the hack is "cool" or what have you.

5. Nick46

Nick46 Resident Moron Member

This is probably the best course of action. Whatever you choose, I support.

6. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Please do check dates before you reply...

TruffledToad, Kilo, nineko and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.