Sonic 1 Level Order Editor (S1LORDED)

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by nineko, Jan 7, 2019.

1. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

If such a program doesn't exist, I can as well create one. It was easy enough.

Extract the contents of the ZIP file to any folder you like, but make sure that the EXE and the TXT are in the same folder. At that point, just drop lvl_ord.bin (or whatever it's called in the new disassemblies) on the EXE icon. There is no error checking at all: if you do something stupid, the program will simply crash.

The zone names are in an external file (Zones.txt) to allow for customisation, so you can have Original Name Zone or whatever you like; also, editing the first two lines of said TXT file will let you use a different number of zones and/or a different number of acts.

Requirements: Windows 95 or better, MSVBVM50 (which can be obtained from 9000 different places, including Microsoft itself).

Attached Files:

2. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Why? Do we really need a tool to edit something as simple as this? And why, in the year two-thousand nineteen, are you still writing programs in VB5? I just... don't see the point of it.

3. TruffledToad

TruffledToad Mushroom says, mushroom does. Member

I say, why not? It's just another little useful tool that can save someone a little time. Plus I've seen way too many beginner Sonic hacks go the traditional route and have the same exact zone order, even if the hack changes a lot otherwise, so maybe this could add just a little variety I guess.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

I mean, I do agree that it's a bit obtuse, but I feel like the better solution is to present the level order as text in the ASM, preferably with constants. But I guess that doesn't fix the sacred 2005 disassembly which must forever remain untouched.

kenny0989, Pacca, Jdpense and 5 others like this.