Rouge in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by AsuharaMoon, Jan 2, 2019.

1. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon kakyoin did you lay this egg Member

(copypaste from Sonic Retro)
    After taking myself 3 years to actually do it, and many more for others to see it come true... it's finally here:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It took her time, but the most well known treasure hunter who debuted in Sonic Adventure 2 finally landed on the classic 2D territory!

This hack was mostly done primarily on the spriting/artistic side, although there's a few noticeable changes and details aside of giving her Knuckles' gliding and climbing moves, in order to bring a more enjoyable experience! (ex. now you can climb on almost every wall in every stage!)

Controls:
    • A/B/C: Jump
    • Down + A/B/C: Spin Dash
    • Jump + A/B/C: Gliding
    • Wall + Up/Down: Climbing
    • (Only in midair) A/B/C: Forced Rolling
    • (Only in midair or climbing) Down + A/B/C: Drill Drive
    Download (v1.1 - SHC2019)

Credits
    • E-122-Psi: Coding and feedback (Thanks a lot for the cooperation! <3)
    • Zig Sonar: Original Rouge sprites
    • Aier: Betatesting
    • Mercury: Demo recording tool
    And for those interested in the sprites, here's the whole sheet I made:
    SPRITE SHEET

Go play on the Sound Test these numbers for the following features!
    • 93: Get all the six Chaos Emeralds
    • 9E: Credits
    • 9F: Ending Sequence

Version 1: Initial release
    Revision 1:
    • Now the Drill Drive can break the MZ's green smashables blocks.
    Revision 2: (3/01/19)
    • MZ's and SYZ's BGs from S1 REV01 are now properly ported. Since the hack was made using the REV00 disassembly, and I forgot to replace the chunks set.
    • Fixed the level order of the Level Select.
    • Slightly modification to the Life HUD.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Version 1.1: Sonic Hacking Contest 2019 release​
    • Added Spindash release's dust (directly from Mania's Drop Dash), and the camera delay.
    • Addition of minor extras features.
    • Almost every level layout was modified, as well adding some new secrets on the way.
    • Minor fixes on Knux in S2's moveset port.

EDIT (12/09/20): Updated to Version 1.1 (SHC2019). Check the changelog for more details.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Niko, KCEXE, Jdpense and 9 others like this.
  2. TheFieldWarrior

TheFieldWarrior Warrior of the Fields Member

The new year has begun and we already have a Sonic hack featuring Rouge the Bat who you don't see in Sonic hacks, there was that one Sonic 2 hack that included both her and Shadow but I think that hack is no longer in development. Rouge is a lot of fun to play with thanks to her gliding, climbing, drill dive and alterations to her movement (S3&K Slow Ducking for the win). I also appreciate the little touches such as added pathways in Marble Zone and her good ending sprites that stay true to her personality, a simple but fun character swap hack overall.

AsuharaMoon, AkumaYin and maple_t like this.
  3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I did a complete playthrough and found Rouge to be overpowered when it comes to Sonic 1 level design. GHZ and SYZ you could glide completely across and MZ's shortcuts allowed me to complete it in no time. In addition, it made LZ1's shortcut way too easy to access. It would have made SBZ way easier too if it had not been for how she can't pull herself up onto some of the floors. And that was before discovering the drill dive and forced rolling moves. Don't get me wrong, this was executed pretty flawlessly, but there really needs to be some sort of limitations or change in level design to make it worth replaying through the game for.

Though, I guess you could say this about a lot of character hacks.

Jdpense likes this.
  4. Jdpense

Jdpense Custom Title Member

This was an excellent character replacement hack, as stated by others here. I can say that it does a lot more than just replaces a character, also adds extra pathways to compliment the characters' moveset (like in MZ). Although if I could give some criticism to this hack, I will say that the main gameplay of Rouge's in this hack feels too similar Knuckles' general 2D gameplay. Now I know that Rogue has as a new move, the drill attack, in this hack, but I still think that Rouge's general gameplay here could be expanded upon. For instance, you could give her kicking abilities (like in SA2) or give her bat bombs.

Overall great execution, I but I think there many things in terms of moveset that could be expanded upon from Rouge's character, to make it stand out more from other character replacement hacks.

ProjectFM likes this.
  5. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon kakyoin did you lay this egg Member

Thank you very much for your comments!

I know what you mean, but you cannot make TOO much changes to something that is already that way since the beginning. Even doing it would change the essence of the original game or Rouge herself. And so, that's why people suggest adding certain characters to the other classic games, since the level layouts evolved for most of them.

Maybe I can do something about that section of LZ1 by adding a large door, but no more than that.

I though giving her a new technique would be technically useless (*cough* that old S1 Shadow hack *cough*), so I only reserved to give her the most basic stuff. Besides, the VRAM limit doesn't help much with the creativity of giving her something like what you suggested.

Still I'll try to consider the moveset tip for a future version.

Btw, I've just uploaded a 2nd revision (mostly regarding the BGs). It's in the first post.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Jdpense and ProjectFM like this.
  6. Ronald Rose

Ronald Rose Newcomer In Limbo

Now Do Sonic 2 And Sonic 3 & Knuckles (With PC Sountrack by ValleyBell). But Keep Her Sprites the Way they Are. I Love her Sprite Design and Sprite Look, and She Looks Cute, Beautiful, And Adorable.

7. Nat The Porcupine

Nat The Porcupine Point & Click Funny Man Member

Hey there Ronald! I don't think I've had the pleasure of running into yet, so welcome to the forums!

There are a few things about your post that urk me a bit though. Firstly, you only need to capitalize the first word of each sentence; your overabundance of capitalized words throughout the sentence just kinda looks silly. More importantly though, the way in which you asked AsuharaMoon to go & add Rouge to more games did come off as slightly ungrateful & a little ignorant. I know that probably wasn't your intention, but you gotta keep in mind that hacks with this much love, care & polish put into them take a long time to develop, so immediately asking for something new only days after release can sometimes come off as disrespectful.

In any case, if you keep basic things like that in mind, I think you'll do just fine here.

8. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

While the capitalization thing at the beginning of words is always annoying, it's not much of an issue in the long run and doesn't really need to be called out. However, asking someone else to make a hack for you is generally frowned upon in the community, and I would encourage @Ronald Rose to not do it again. If he would like to see his ideas brought to fruition, there's a number of tools at his disposal to help him get started, including, but not limited to, the community hacking guide.

9. Catswell

Catswell Plushy lazy cat Member

I like this hack. It's so polished and great.
    I never forget those hacks by E-122 Psi. And this hack because it's soooo awesome.
    Gorgeous work, Asuhara! I want to see more hacks by you~

AsuharaMoon likes this.