Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Aier

Aier "Aieru Dotsuto" Member

As far as I know SonMapEd is glitchy, same happened with me when I tried to replace SS sprites in sonic 2, I recommend you to use Flex2 instead. Is easier to use than SonMapEd.
    Here's a picture for example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope I help you with something!

PoloBlue, maple_t and Kilo like this.
  2. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Also, make sure you're editing the DPLCs with the mappings.

PoloBlue and Pokepunch like this.
  3. PoloBlue

PoloBlue Newcomer Trialist

Thanks for all the pointers, guys! I'm not exactly sure what I did, but things seem to have sorted themselves out now.

I looked into Flex2 by the way, and wew lad. That UI has SonMapEd beat by a mile! I especially like the fact that you can draw directly onto the sprites and change them to your own means and ends. Custom graphics ought to be a cinch now!

4. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000 Well-Known Member Member

Hello everyone, long-time-no-see!
    Remember that hack of Sonic 2 where I gave Super Sonic custom animations for actions that previously used Normal Sonic's sprites? I've finished it, but I want to add a few final things to Super Sonic (mostly around his Idle animation.) The following are the very last pieces that I want to do before release:
    A: Add Sonic Mania Plus' Super Idle animation to Super Sonic
    B: Add another idle animation if you wait long enough (kind of like if you wait long enough as Normal Sonic he lies down, sure people who play normally might not see it, but I'd like to think of it as an Easter Egg)
    However, I've ran out of space to add animations and I still haven't been able to put Super Sonic's sprites in a seperate file from Sonic to give me enough space to give him the animations I need.
    So I've come again to call upon the hacking community (hopefully for the last time relating to this hack) to help me out. I was planning to release this on my Birthday (two days ago) but I wanted a little more time to improve a few things. Also, as a side note, whenever I now change any of Super Sonic's sprites (for example, change his pushing sprites to look a little more polished) The dust from skidding (when stopping) is all glitched, perhaps you guys could also help me out with this issue and kill two birds with one stone?

Thank you all for getting me this far in ROM hacking, it may not seem impressive to some, but I think this is a big achievement to me, I never thought I'd get THIS far! I hope I learn more and more from the community and perhaps in the future I could help others out like you did for me. Hopefully the community's vast knowledge should do the trick and finally get my first hack to completion!

5. Dewar

Dewar Newcomer Member

Have you tried to separate the art and mappings from Super Sonic and Sonic? That's exactly what I did in my hack, I separated the art and mappings of Sonic and Super Sonic.

6. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I guess you didn't read his post.
    Sadly, that does sound like the only option he has. But then again I know nothing about art.

7. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

Hey guys a quickie here - in sonic 2 what part of the monitor object controls what is displayed in the monitors? I have had a quick look but Im a little lost.

8. Aier

If you want to edit the monitors mappings just load the monitor art (art/nemesis/Monitor and contents.bin) and the obj26 mappings(mappings/sprite/obj26.bin), and use Sonic pallete(If I recall correctly...). But if you want to edit the monitor's code just go to "obj26:"

Happy Hacking!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  9. Dark Lips

I dont think your understanding what I mean - I know how to edit the art and mappings and I know the monitor is obj26... what I am asking is what part of the obj26 code controls what icon is displayed?

10. Panduhman02

Panduhman02 Newcomer In Limbo

I figured I'd ask this. I would like to know how to add more moves to sonic in sonic 2. I know it's possible to do so since this: https://youtu.be/I3gBEO_Vrfs
    Is possible. Thank you for your time.

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Edit the Sonic object. You might want to ask more specifically to get a better answer, because 'adding a move' can range from double jumping, to boosting, teleportation, and so on. The method of 'how' could wildly vary depending on what you want to do, how you wish to activate it, etc.

12. Dark Lips

You will be wanting to look at sonics object code, if I recall correctly there are different sections of code for if sonic is on the ground or in the air... for example you wanted to add the peel out from sonic cd you would add your code for this in the on the ground part Obj01_MdNormal: and Obj01_MdAir: are where to look.

13. Kilo

Kilo Foxy Fren Exiled

I'm 90% sure he's trying to make a drop dash considering his history of asking to get the code for free. Now, I do have an answer that may satisfy, however, it's innaccurate to Mania. Either a few months or years ago, I had inquired Barak [Creator of Sonic 1 Mania, or was it Mania Sonic in Sonic 1?] and asked him how he pulled off the drop dash. His reply was something along the lines of "I just made it so you can spindash after you jump. It's basically an air spindash." So there's your answer, copy the spindash, change the animation and have it release once you hit the ground. Like I said; not accurate, but it works.

14. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

Hi guys, where in the Sonic 1 Github Repo is Marble Zone's background scrolling controlled? I want to replace the background sky with Marble Zone's inside walls, but it makes sections of the sky scroll.

15. Aier

@Tanner If I recall correctly they're separated files from the main asm, called LevelSizeLoad & BgScrollSpeed.asm or DeformLayers.asm
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now for not wasting my posts so quickly I'm going to ask a question about a code I'm making, it's about Amy's Hammer code, I want to use (Ctrl_Press_Logical) In my code, but it won't play the animation correctly, I'm using (Ctrl_Held_Logical) Instead, but I don't like it, another issue that I think you can notice in this video: (don't mind the title..)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlzQEIn2Vcg&lc=z22zi5aglta4fhhj204t1aokgjzm05gfl10fvh415nudrk0h00410

Code:
    https://pastebin.com/wasqWAqK

I've tried everything I know, this is my last chance to make this work, and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong...

16. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

Hey everyone. So I've started a new project and to begin with I've started to add Modulated KosM support to Sonic 2. I'm running into an issue while trying to rearrange some RAM for KosM to use where it seems like the more RAM I move around the more corrupt the Special Stages become. This also occurred when doing the same process for a previous hack.
    Here is a rom where $7CC bytes of unused RAM have been moved to where the $500 bytes left over from the Sonic 1 Sound Driver in the constants file. For convenience the game will go to the SS after the Sega screen. Can anybody explain why this is occurring, and how I can fix and prevent this from happening?

EDIT: So it seems like placing the unused RAM after Object_RAM_End resolves this issue. I'd still love some insight as to why this is the case.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  17. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner Well-Known Member Member

Quick Question regarding the Sonic 1 Disassembly:
    I'm using this piece of code to fix an issue in regards to the Sonic CD Camera I added causing the player to die instantly when Robotnik presses the switch in SBZ2.
    move.w #1,(f_restart).w ; restart level
    move.w #(id_LZ<<2)+4,(v_zone).w ; set level number to 0502 (FZ)
    What would be the equal of SBZ3 (LZ4) in this instance? My error handler keeps getting called after it goes to non-existent zones/acts.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

move.w #(id_LZ<<8)+3,(v_zone).w
    The Zone ID is the high byte of the word, which means it needs to be shifted by 8 bits, not 2, and the fourth Act is ID 3, since 0 is Act 1.

19. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

This problem of the GHZ bridge being misloaded in some conditions (sprite limit? Well, I don't know!). Do anyone know if there's a fix for this problem?

My hack uses the Sonic 1 2005 Hivebrain Disassembly
    [​IMG]

20. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

I believe this happens when more objects are loaded than there is space for in the object RAM. You're going to have to find a way to reduce the number of objects being loaded at that time. You can delete or relocate objects that the game would be loading at that position (keep in mind that Sonic 1 will load all objects above and below your screen position), or use Sonic 3K's object and ring managers.