Random hack/Mini project thread

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DanielHall, May 24, 2010.

1. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone releases their own version of a unfair sonic hack with some minor similarities to the one i made, which ended up going down hill. Not that i'm bothered about it, if you want to make your own version of a unfair sonic hack then that's fine (it's fine with me at least, i'm not sure about rest of the community).

I just gave this a quick go to see what you have in store and i would like to say a few things:

1. The idea of having check points kill you or flat out not working or having no checkpoints at all, although it's unfair and that's the point but i really don't think that's a good idea, granted i did that with my unfair hack but back then i wasn't thinking about people who didn't have access to save states when it comes to playing on real hardware.

2. The lives system and game over, i will strongly recommend for a unfair sonic hack that you remove the game over screen and lives system and let the player have infinite lives or give them plenty of lives to work with providing that you plan to add a save\resume function that allows the player start where they got a game over.

3. Being unable to get pass the first section of a level. Now this is one of the problems that my unfair hack had, I made the first section of the first level too hard to pass resulting in most people giving up easily without even managing to make any progress. So if i was you, i would make the level get harder and more unfair as you progress through the level whilst making sure that it's possible to beat.

I know that this hack is suppose to be unfair and difficult but making a hack like this requires some major thinking especially as you have to follow the rule of making difficult level beatable.

Anyway, that's all i have to say. I wish you good luck with finishing your own unfair sonic hack, i'm interested to see if you can do it better than what i did.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Picayune

Picayune Newcomer Member

Ok i will make sure to take your advice

3. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

Sorry, I see the spikes inside chunk where's goes with breakable wall. Oh no again, I die when I start to play GHZ2 and MZ2, music sounds weird, please don't publish an incomplete rom, this makes that, the game will be ugly, in a beginning I see your intention and I know do you want to show your first game, but excuse me, don't publish a simple layout hack and try to think more ideas, you must learning much about level design and think the history about your hack. Take the tips of positive way and if you want help, ask please.

Sorry, is ain't fun to play this hack!

4. Picayune

Picayune Newcomer Member

Well here's the thing I've kinda stopped working on this so yeah that's why it's not complete feel free to make it your own

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
    Deactivated Account likes this.
  5. Monitor

Monitor Custom Title Member

Dude, there's one thing you said about this post that you did publicizing your hack.

I just took the 1-UP monitors, and the rings, and just nothing happened.

And that's because I was in a part of the original game phase at GHZ 2, probably a bug.

If you want to make the game very difficult, or even impossible, complete it totally.

Deactivated Account and Picayune like this.
  6. Picayune

Picayune Newcomer Member

Ok so after some thinking I decided that maybe forming a team would be the best option if I want to continue this hack so yeah

Deactivated Account and Monitor like this.
  7. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

High-ho! High-ho! Off to Random Projects/Minihacks we go!

8. Deactivated Account

Sorry, I had forgotten to mention that, your Minihacks must be here and, I'm not being rude with you, but when you want to show your hack, please keep in mind to test your hack and if you want a beta tester, just talk and someone will help you.

9. Monitor

10. Deactivated Account

Ah c'mon! Are you sure has you tested your hack? Oh crap, that is really estranged.

Monitor likes this.
  11. Monitor

I don't know why the quality of the picture was totally fu**** up.

This is the hack I was talking about up there, not mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
  12. Misinko

Please do not double post, kthnx.

Deactivated Account and Monitor like this.
  13. Picayune

Picayune Newcomer Member

that supposed to be like that

trust me i will revamp this hack sooner or later like i said i may create a team to continue this hack so yeah

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
  14. Misinko

The same goes to you. The edit button exists for a reason. Do not double-post.

Deactivated Account likes this.
  15. Picayune

Picayune Newcomer Member

what do you mean?

16. Misinko

See how your two previous posts were merged into one by me? They shouldn't have been two posts to begin with. That's called double-posting and it clutters up threads. Barring a few exceptions, if you need to add to, amend, or further clarify previous posts (in your case, quoting a different user), don't make a new post. Edit the original.

17. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

IMO, the best "unfair" hacks have some element of fairness in it and still have a ton of thought in its design besides "I'm just gonna make everything kill you and just place a bunch of bullshit everywhere", and also without needing to change the core game engine to make it even more bullshit.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  18. Picayune

Picayune Newcomer Member

well my image is shattered

19. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect, especially at a learning stage. But, I think it's fine as long as you learn from them. It's how we all improve ourselves, and it'll take time, but just keep at it.

Monitor, Pacca, Crimson Neo and 2 others like this.
  20. Picayune

Picayune Newcomer Member

ok thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Monitor and Trickster like this.