Level Ports in Sonic 1?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Chaos Hedgie, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos Hedgie

Chaos Hedgie I'm 30 years old, with a OC. You'll live. Member

This is more of a general question. I know it's possible to port levels in Sonic 2 via ESEII, but there's too many Sonic 2 hacks out anyway. So I want to port a level into Sonic 1 and I want to give it an art makeover. The question is, how is this possible, seeing as there isn't any tool to port a S3K level to S1?

Thanks you for your time.

2. VictorT

VictorT Well-Known Member Member

I don't know too much about that stuff - but i guess it's because sonic 1 mappings are 256x256, while the others- except sonic CD - use 128x128, so I guess that's why there aren't any tools to port.

i don't do hacks, so i can't say how to port because i really don't know.

3. Sonic 65

Sonic 65 Active Member Member

S3K and S2 use 128x128 tiles, while S1 uses 256x256. You can just split the 256x256 tiles into 4 128x128s for S1 to S2 conversion, but 128x128 can't be used for S1. All you can do is remap every single 256x256 tile to fit the S1 format (and I know you hate mapping =P)

It's possible to port Sonic CD and Ristar levels to Sonic 1, though (I've done both). I think drx did Streets of Rage to S1 too.

4. Chaos Hedgie

Chaos Hedgie I'm 30 years old, with a OC. You'll live. Member

I "hate" mapping because I havent fully understood it yet. Right now, I'm told to match the tiles up with the blocks, so that's what I've been doing.

5. sonicrules

sonicrules Newcomer In Limbo

with what program?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.