Sonic Hacking Contest 2019

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Spanner, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Sorry, I made a mistake, the updates deadline is 10th November, as seen in the first post of the thread. Get those submissions in, people!

2. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

The Sonic Hacking Contest is having issues with Twitter who for some reason are blocking links to our sonichacking.org domain by saying they are spam or automated links, and this is seriously impacting us with promoting this whole thing, which may result in less entries overall and / or less attention for the whole event, as people may treat the link as suspicious.

To get Twitter to sort this out please go to https://help.twitter.com/forms/spam and click "I can't Tweet a link because Twitter thinks it's spam." and fill in the relevant details and of course the address of sonichacking.org - If enough people report it they might get it unblocked, otherwise we're going to have to blow some money and get a new domain entirely...which might also end up getting blocked by their algorithm.

We've owned this domain for many years without trouble and would prefer to keep it that way, but if we can't get this sorted out we'll have to get a new address.

Sorry for double posting however given the situation it is unfortunately needed.

Also, on a side note you still have a few hours left to get a Contest entry submitted.

Deactivated Account likes this.
  3. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

@EMK-20218 We can fix the stuffs and stay ready until this last week.
    Good luck for all people.

4. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

Reported to Twitter, hopefully it'll get sorted out real soon.

5. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Guess I'll be back for the 2020 contest for originality.

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Okay, all. So, you're probably very busy updating your hacks and mods for the 10th of November deadline, and that's great to hear. Once you're done, do not forget to submit a 15-second long footage of your work to me for it to be showcased in this year's Official Trailer! All details can be found here! https://sonichacking.org/pages/trailer

If you do not submit any footage, then there's no guarantee that it will be featured. If you're having technical issues, please get hold of me in my or SSRG's Discord server. Thanks!

7. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

As of Friday 8th November, the website is now linking again on Twitter. Many thanks for all your reports to get this sorted out!

Also, a reminder that whilst the Contest updates deadline is at the end of this Sunday, we are still taking Expo submissions and trailer clips for RHS' trailer until the end of Sunday 17th November.

Remember, if you are unsure if your submission will pass the criteria, please contact a judge for assistance. We wouldn't want any good entries be missed out over any doubts.
    assistance. We wouldn't want any good entries be missed out over any doubts.

maple_t and Trickster like this.
  8. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

Hey all, just a quick update on Team Entries.

So it's been a busier week with work than others, which is very annoying as it's meant I didn't have as much time to work on integrating Teams as I wanted. As such, it's all manually handled by myself right now.

If you want your entry/entries marked as a Team entry send me a DM with the entries in question, what you want as a team name, and all the members you want on said team. All members should already have users on the SHC site, and all members will be able to edit any team entry they're on the team of.

9. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO UPDATE YOUR CONTEST SUBMISSIONS!

Please ensure you have marked your entry as Completed by the deadline, otherwise they will be moved to the Expo. Judging commences after the deadline has expired.

Also, any entry that the Judges feel are more suited to the Expo will also be moved. Remember that people have until the end of Sunday 17th November to have something submitted fully to the Expo.

Please note that the Expo will not be used just for any entry and if Judges feel that an entry is not suitable for showing in the Expo for failing many aspects of the Quality Control Criteria, it will be removed entirely.

Anyone who has wanted to submit this year has been aware of the deadlines since at least March. There's still time to get something in the Expo if you have anything to show off. There have been many things shown off over the year on here and elsewhere, they would certainly be welcomed to be submitted should you want to, even though they won't be judged, there's always next year if they are ongoing projects that can be continued. Without any doubt, the audience and download traffic for the Contest Week is the most highest you will get for any Sonic hack or mod these days, just like SAGE is for fan games, so use it to your advantage if you want more people to see your work.

Before anyone asks, the list of Contest entries won't be posted until the Expo deadline, as we will be posting both lists at the same time. I'm sure you can hold on for another week.

10. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

There are only a few days left before the Expo deadline expires. We have a good amount so far, but there is nothing stopping anyone from still submitting.

Again, in order for your entry to be in the Expo, it must be marked as Completed by the deadline, or else it may not be available in the Contest Week.

Can I also remind people to submit their trailer clips to redhotsonic, as it will save a lot of time in getting the trailer made which means we can release it earlier.

If anyone has a problem with creating a trailer clip, let RHS know and he may be able to help out with that. The instructions given should be clear however.

11. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

This is your final reminder to submit (or finish submitting) entries to Expo - submissions will be locked down at 9am GMT on Monday (4am EST, 1am PST), and no further updates can be made.

This is also the deadline for trailer clips to redhotsonic, so if you have not submitted a clip, please get that in by then - if you do not upload a clip, there is no guarantee your entry will make the trailer.

All entries must be marked as Complete, any that are not will not be in the Expo. People have had plenty of time to do this.

A list of all entries will be provided once unfinished and removed entries are cleaned up, once we are ready to present them.

Deactivated Account likes this.
  12. Sewer56

Sewer56 Newcomer Member

[​IMG]

You know what time it is.

The time to reveal all upon the world, the secrets of the universe,
    peoplekind and of course first and foremost, the Sonic Hacking Contest entries.

Ready, Set, Go!

Retro
    (Another) Shadow the Hedgehog in Sonic 1
    by AsuharaMoon
    Hellfire Saga by Hardline Team
    I Made You A Salad by VAdaPEGA
    Kaizo Sonic 2 Demo by KaikeKTH
    Sonic 2 Advanced Edit by Team AE (Surprise!!)
    Sonic 2 Chaos Adventure by Jdpense
    Sonic And The Mystic Gems by Harder Project
    Sonic Cronos by Timaeus
    Sonic Sad Hill by borus
    Sonic The Hackable by CHRdutch
    Sonic The Hedgehog - A New Adventure by D.A. Garden
    TishaProject by TishaKot

2D PC

Amy Mania by troopsushi
    Dragon Valley by Cyber1204
    Return of Metal by Metal Shadow Productions
    Sonic CD Plus SHC Edition by Hyper_Doggo
    Sonic Gaiden by AeroArtwork (& Gaiden Team)
    Sonic Mania: Advanced Quest Pack by Balibali_418
    Sonic Mania Warped by Ggyas2202

3D

2P Shadow The Hedgehog by DreamSyntax
    Character Select Plus by Justin113D, MainMemory
    Generations Crisis City in Sonic Forces by RobowilOFFICIAL
    Legacy of Solaris by JotaroPowered
    Sonic Adventure 2: Randomizer by Prahaha
    Sonic Adventure 2: Blazy Mix by Darkybenji
    SA2 Sonic for SADX by MainMemory, End User
    Shade the Echidna by Justin113D
    Sonic HD Model by Justin113D
    Sonic Heroes EX by SuperrSonic
    Terios Conversion Mod by DeeforTL

Previews for each of the entries (in random order), I have made
    available in the following Twitter thread.

[​IMG]

Retro
    AMPS in Sonic 2
    by Natsumi
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - DX Edition by RadioTails
    Hardline Team Storybook by Hardline Team
    I Made You a Salad with Extra Tomatoes by VAdaPEGA
    Ray in Sonic 1 by Iso Kilo
    Rouge the Bat in Sonic 1 by AsuharaMoon
    Sonic 2 Extreme by JoenickROS
    Sonic 3 Metal Edition by qgray14
    Sonic in Troll Island by matheusbrancobs
    Sonic Powered by SMS-Alfredo

2D PC
    Chat VS Sonic Mania
    by CodenameGamma
    Motobug in Sonic Mania by JamBurger
    Sonic Mania & Hatsune Miku Extend FINAL39's by The Special Stage

3D
    Amy Adventure 2
    by Team Amy
    Chao Data Menu Mod by Justin113D
    E-102 Gamma over Mech Eggman by Shadowth117
    HD GUI SA2 Edition by Speeps
    Mario 64 Mario in SA2 by Shadowth117
    Menu Overhaul by Speeps
    Modern SA2 Complete Edition by _DEXTERITY_
    No Model Tinting by Speeps
    Radical Highway in Sonic 06 by HyperPolygon64
    Reject Amy by Shadowth117
    SA2 Bad Time Edition by Lady_Jojo
    Sans Sonic by HyperPolygon64
    Sonic 06 - Lost in Translation by Knuxfan24
    Sonic 06 - Westopolis by Knuxfan24
    Speed Up in Single Player for SA2 by KrustyKong
    Speedy Eggman by End User

Previews for each of the entries (in random order), I have made
    available in the following Twitter thread.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    ProjectFM, borus, KCEXE and 8 others like this.
  13. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

What is this madness?!

I wasn't prepared for this. Seeing Sonic 2 Advance Edit back again after so many years is a very HUGE unexpected thing that caugh me off.

That's so surreal man, I'm feeling that I'm in 2010 again. Can't wait!

ProjectFM and Angel X like this.
  14. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

Sonic 2 Advanced Edit...What good memories,it's one of my first sonic hacks I've played!
    I'm glad this project is back.:D
    I see that for this year we would have some good games!

15. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

"Kaizo Sonic 2 Demo"

Razor and Zenon's nightmare continues...

Though, I am hyped for what is to come. Especially Sonic 2 Advanced Edit was 100% unexpected.

Angel X likes this.
  16. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Hey, don't forget my hack's last participation in the Hacking Contest was six years ago. Haha! Although I admit that Sonic 2 Advanced Edit was completely unexpected. But I'm really impressed with what Hellfire Saga is being turned into.

17. Sewer56

Sewer56 Newcomer Member

Updated the Contest Entry announcement post with Expo entries.
    Keeping the two separate would be inconvenient, so I'm just dropping this to inform you .

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Wow, there's quite a nice balance between the project categories this year =3

19. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

First: I never believed that Sonic 2 Advanced Edit was in development under these years, it brings to me back good remembers when I played that hack in those years. So I'm glad to heard that and happy for this SHC.
    Second: Hellfire Saga has returned, one of my favorite hacks that I've played the last SHC, new adventures are coming.
    Last: I'm very happy to see that Project S.A.M.G is in the SHC2019, I hope everyone enjoy this SHC and feel free to fun with this :) .

EMK-20218, Angel X, Catswell and 4 others like this.
  20. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you, I just didn't expect the return of this ROM hack after nothing was known after so long.
    I remember playing Sonic 1 Harder Levels (even old versions),and I can say that it was really difficult (in fact I never finished it):mad:
    But beyond that, I can say that it was well done.
    I tried SAMG,the art of this game is very enjoyable and the levels are well structured.
    I have two advice:

• In the battle against Robotnik, there are no rings. This means that fighting is difficult, even if the difficulty level is set to normal.I advise you to put a few rings in the normal mode, and in difficult mode not put them;
    • I think the indicator of lives can be improved by removing those hands that indicate the number of lives.
    I also tried Hellfire Saga (the SAGE version) and I have only one word to say, WOW!
    It has improved from all aspects, from level design to bosses.
    Even if the environment and the enemies have nothing to do with sonic, it is very fun to play!
    You and Narcologer have improved so much about your hacks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.