Does anyone have X ROM Hack?

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Giovanni, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

For reference as it has been brought up, the SHC server still have Contest and Expo entries from many years, there's the issue however of outdated code not working on the current server (especially for years before 2017), and it's not a major priority for Cinossu as he is really busy with more important matters.

If there's any free time to do so, there's a good chance that the entries from 2017 and 2018 will be playable again at some point in the future. No promises of course, but we've always wanted to keep the old sites going, and we certainly did years ago when the site coding worked with the server configuration at that time.

There's also the issue of off-site links which may be expired by now, and until a few years ago there were entries which were allowed to show media publicly, but only the judges got to play it, and well before then there were also private entries, in any case it'd still be unfair to release those publicly, as they were not made public for reasons.

There had been a case a few years ago where a private entry ended up being leaked years after its submission to SHC, and this did not go down so well.

Things have obviously changed since then, as all entries are public and also there is the Expo. But for a lot of previous years' work there are still things we have to respect.

2. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

I see.
    Not everyone wants their work released publicly and I respect that.
    I hope the others entries will be available!
    Here is the rest of the ROM hacks

ProjectFM likes this.
  3. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

I lost the ROM to Sonic 1 CDDA somehow, and I kinda need to have it on me right now. :(

EDIT: Friend found it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    ProjectFM likes this.
  4. Crimson Neo

Crimson Neo I changed a lot. Member

(Is there any archive for the older SHC entries tho'? Like the 2010 or past ones.)

5. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

Unfortunately no...

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Hacking_Contest

In this link you will find some old SHC entries.
    Some can be downloaded from the site, while others are not present.
    For the hack ROMs not present, try to do a search on the internet or on youtube, most likely you will find the download of the game.
    If you don't find the download, ask here.

Crimson Neo likes this.
  6. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

This thread actually reminded me that I was making a wiki to document a whole bunch of old Sonic hacks that have been released throughout the years. However, I didn't think it would have been a good idea so I just let the wiki die and literally the only hack I even mentioned was Megamix and that's easily accessible. :V Still looks like there's plenty of old hacks to be downloaded and played again, so I'm happy to see many people have kept old hacks around!

Trickster likes this.
  7. Inferno

Inferno Rom Hacker Member

Ey, does anybody have Sonic 2: Build A Burger. I remember playing the hack a while back, and I want to play it again, but the mirror is down and, of course, the old SHC archives aren't quite functioning as of now.
    It was in the 2013 Sonic Hacking Contest.

8. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon kakyoin did you lay this egg Member

There ya' go.

Attached Files:

ProjectFM and Angel X like this.
  9. badnest

badnest Newcomer Member

I've heard about a hack that puts the SMS Sonic 1 zones into 16-bit Sonic 1. Never actually seen it though. Anyone knows if it exists, or something similar?

10. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

I have never heard of such a ROM hack, or have ever known of its existance. What I do know exists, is an unfinished fangame which aims to be a remake of the Sonic Master System levels made with Genesis graphics, which may have lead you into confusion.
    If you do want to download it, click here.
    If anyone is aware of the existance of such a ROM hack, and has more information about it, please let us know.

badnest likes this.
  11. anameigo

anameigo Newcomer Trialist

Hi, I've put together a repo of sonic hacks
    here: https://github.com/sonic-hacks-repo/sonic-hacks-archive
    * If you are new to github, you can just click the green "clone or download" button and click "Download Zip" if you want to just simply download the whole thing.

If you have anything you want to add you can leave links here or email them to me at: shr4356<@>protonmail<.>com

* EDIT: Tisha and Yoshi removed. If there are any other problematic roms in here let me know and Ill remove them.

Thanks for all your work here

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  12. anameigo

13. penPhobic

penPhobic Everything's all topsy-turvy now. Member

14. breakthetargets

breakthetargets Well-Known Member Member

Also reminding you that Yoshi in Sonic 2 has been leaked and was not meant to be given to the public, so it's best to remove it from your github list to respect the author's wishes.

15. anameigo

Uhh.......Sorta

Attached Files:

16. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

Sorry for the big bump, but I was just wondering.

In 2011, a game came on SSRG called Sonic Mega Fusion. I'm calling it a game because it doesn't feel like a proper hack of a Sonic game. It sorta looked like either a Sonic 1, Simon Wai or Sonic 2 hack. The way the gameplay felt was different to how I think of a typical hack. Do any of you have the ROM?

Video of the game

ProjectFM likes this.
  17. Kurk

Kurk Oh Yeah Member

iirc it was a Sonic 2 Nick Arcade hack. I have a different version of this hack, but I cannot find the version you are looking for. I've attached it down below.

EDIT: Just to be clear, this is not my hack. I just happened to have this on my PC.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Angel X and DeltaWooloo like this.
  18. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

I don't know if that's what I'm supposed to do, but I share my entry from the Sonic Hacking Contest 2017, "Sonic & Ashuro".

If any of you newbies want to see my latest "big" project.

Anyway, be careful, this hack seems to freeze at "Pyramid Panic act 3" on ANDROID. So don't play it on ANDROID.

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

19. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

I loved Sonic 2: S3 Edition, but there were only 2 old releases that didn't fully match Sonic 3. There was a version of it in the SHC 2013 but can't download it.

Do any of you have it, please?

20. Inferno

Inferno Rom Hacker Member

That's strange... I can't find a single thing that says that Sonic 2: S3 Edition was at SHC 2013, to begin with. Not the Sonic Retro page for the hack, not the Sonic Retro forums (The only mention of the number 2013 was made in 2009), not any lists of which hacks were at SHC 2013, and not even the Wayback Machine's archive of the 2013 Hacking Contest entries archive, as you can see here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150602002939/http://shc.sonicresearch.org/History

Where did you get this information and could you post a link to said information? Just curious.